M

meneski

What would you guys recommend as a first piece of gear for rap music? I have Sonar to record but I'm not sure what I should get to make the beats. I have a PSR-540 keyboard and a QY-100 which I don't think is good for making hiphop. What would be good for around $500?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Well it depends on what you want to do. Do you want to record everything in Sonar? Or do you want to cop a hardware sequencer? If you're looking for something simple and around $500, I'd recommend a sound module. There's the MoPhatt for example.

But another option is to save your $500 and keep saving until you have enough to buy an MPC2000XL or something similar.

Phreeze

Stupa Hero
ill o.g.
I agree with Fade, I started out with a Roland MC-307 Groovebox, after I learned tracking/sequencer on the computer with Impulse Tracker (DOS) and ModPlug Tracker (For Win). The MC-505 allowed me to have good sounds and the ability to sequence them and make several sequences into a song. This is especially helpful when you go to an MPC or such, because you'll be sampling using the PC-based tracker programs I mentioned and you'll get used to hardware sequencing, MIDI, and sound modules by using the groovebox.

For the ModPlug Tracker download go to: www.modplug.com and choose "Download Software" from the Navigation area.

And for Impulse Tracker go to: http://www.noisemusic.org/it/ and choose "Download Software" from the Navigation area.

To "load 'em up" with samples, download any WAV file, rip some WAVs off sample CDs, Audio CDs and you'll be set! It's a great learning tool.

And for more information for beginners - check out my weekly column disgussing many elements of the business, art, and technology involved with production.

One

B

Briellz

The EMU modules are runnin for around $500. Get one of those and a midi controller then your set!

M

meneski

Thanks Fellaz,

Another question, is it really necessary to have a hardware sequencer when you have Sonar? And also would you recommend an MPC as a first piece of gear? A guy told me to get the most out of it you need other synths and samples. He's saying for a first piece the Triton LE is the way to go. I've also been told there is nothing I can do with an MPC that I can't do with Reason and ReCycle. Let me know what's up ya'll.

Peace

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Well you definitely don't need an MPC to get started. IMO, if you enjoy recording on your PC, then go for it! I personally prefer recording on my computer, rather than buying all kinds of gear.

Having hardware gear has many advantages, but if you're just starting out, then there's nothing wrong with recording just on your PC. There's so many pieces of software out there that will give you the same or almost the same results as hardware.

It's all a matter of preference, really. I started off with small gear, then went up to a computer, then slowly started adding small pieces here and there.

As for Reason and Recycle, I haven't used them yet but I know that they're both off the hook. With those 2 and Sonar, man, you can do some serious damage.

M

meneski

Thanks Fade,

I think I was leaning more towards software because it can be upgraded way more inexpensively and another reason is because I don't have room for all that gear. Any suggestions on a software setup that would allow me to make tracks similar to what you heard on Juvies 400 Degreez or is that too much to ask of software?

Phreeze

Stupa Hero
ill o.g.
What's up?

I don't think there's any super super software that is going to give you the 400 Degreez sound easily. That's definately a Southern Rap classic - concerning the production of that album Mannie Fresh generally uses:

MPC 2000
Various Yamaha Sounds
Various Roland Sounds
Various Korg Sounds

Not many samples of course in his stuff, but hmm what software do I know that might help you...?

I've seen Pro Tools setups with sound module "virtual instrument" plugins, so you could just play each track into Pro Tools as your sequencer and have hi-fi, realistic sounds; but these setups can cost quite a bit as virtual instruments can cost about as much as their hardware counterparts.

To me, the only drawback of the computer-only setup is the lack of the "realistic" sounds heard in today's modules.

One.

members online