New to vocal samples

crog85

Back to the Grind...
Battle Points: 835
So I've been experimenting with using vocal samples and I'm wondering a few things...

How do u chop ur vocal samples? I've only been experimenting with 1 bar chops... I don't really know what to listen for in the samples yet, so do u think these 1 bar chops r a good starting point?

I've seen in video's where someone will take a sample, load it into a "keyboard" and they are able to play the same sample across all the keys... not like in sequence but the notes... like the sample will change notes on different keys... I hope u know what talking about. Is that a piece of hardware or software that allows you to do that?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Depends on what you're using. Also, are you looking for tips on how to use vocal samples or just how to chop them up like that?

crog85

Back to the Grind...
Both... tips on different ways people use vocal samples... and how to get the sample across all keys...

So unfortunately I'm using a version of Garageband that's prob like 5+ years old lol... I've never really used samples before, so the software was never a problem. I pretty much play everything live, so I just needed something to record, to get my ideas down...

I was hoping there would be a vst or something that I could download that would let me get the sample across all keys... I actually just figured out how to assign different chops to different keys so I can play them out on my midi controller lol... I know I'm a lil behind when it come to sampling to say the least.

I'm mainly looking for advice on vocal samples... I like coming up with and playing out my own melodies, so sampling instruments/songs isn't much on a concern... yet

crog85

Back to the Grind...
Ok. I'm not sure if I'm explaining it correctly... I'll download Kontakt tho, and give it a try. But just to clarify... If I take a piano chord for an example, that I've sampled from another source... I want to take that sampled chord and be able to play it on my midi controller, so I can play 1 key and the chord is in C, then play another key and the chord is now in F... and so on... As I'm typing this I see that it's prob hard to understand what I'm trying to explain. Idk the correct term for it... I'll try to find a video to post of someone doing it when I get home.

Bugsy

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 206
We get it,

Basically what you want is to emulate the 16 levels on the mpc, where one sample can be played in different pitches. Like playing your own instrument on your midi keyboard using one sample.

this video should help. its a tutorial on how to sample in Kontakt, specifically to what your intending to use it for.

Here it is in Ableton...

or.....

you can do it the old way, (which is the way i did it when I had the same idea.)

load the sample on each key and mess with the pitch, each note getting higher or lower depending on how you want to use the sample.

crog85

Back to the Grind...
@Bugsy Thanks man!! Thats exactly what I'm looking for... I thought about doing it "the old way," but that seems like it would be very time consuming... and I see that I actually have kontakt 5 already installed just never used it... Prob cuz I didn't know how lol

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
No problem. But yeah, just load up Kontakt and you'll see the keyboard icon near the top. Click that to open it and then on the left go to Files and browse for a WAV file and you'll see.