New Equipment

OnQ

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 186
Hey all,

I've been producing hip-hop beats for about 2 years now, mainly as a hobby, but am getting more and more serious about it. I've been running Pro Tools on my MacBook Pro with a Digi 002 console. I'm interested in investing in some turntables so I can expand my producing abilities just that much more. I don't know very much about turntables, but I'm pretty sure I want a setup that can use vinyl as well as mp3's. My price range is anything up to about $800. Ultimately I want to be able to use them in the recording process and also live. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-OnQ

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
Hey all,

I've been producing hip-hop beats for about 2 years now, mainly as a hobby, but am getting more and more serious about it. I've been running Pro Tools on my MacBook Pro with a Digi 002 console. I'm interested in investing in some turntables so I can expand my producing abilities just that much more. I don't know very much about turntables, but I'm pretty sure I want a setup that can use vinyl as well as mp3's. My price range is anything up to about $800. Ultimately I want to be able to use them in the recording process and also live. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-OnQ

$800 probably won't be enough unless you cop some used tables. Serato by itself can run you between $540 and $570 http://www.serato.com/

Virtual DJ is $299 minus the vinyl and sound card. Initially I bought VDJ, $299, a Behringer BCD3000 midi controller $200(had a built in sound card-most midi controllers don't), Some Staton turntables and additional $400 and two time coded vinyl records $30,Gator turntable bags $168. Eventually I cop'd a better midi controller$499 and because I had to now use and external audio interface I spent another $400 because you'll have to get one with dual phono amp inputs.

As you can see $800 didn't quite get it!

OnQ

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Ah I see.... Well let me clarify my desires for these turntables. If I do perform live, it will be just backing up an MC. Would I still need all that gear? If I would, then what about just using the turntables for producing, at least at this point. Then I wouldn't need all the live DJ software stuff right? Thanks for the quick response.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Ideally I'd want to be able to do both, but it sounds like that'll make it considerably more expensive. I suppose if I had to choose, I'd go with digital.

Going digital with the feel of wax (time coded vinyl) I'd say go with either Serato or Virtual DJ. Serato and some turntables may still take you over the $800 mark because you need pretty descent turntables for dj style cutting and scratching along with a good mixer.

Serato - around $600 with tax (comes with time coded vinyl and time coded cd's)

Numark Battle Pack- comes with mixer and pretty descent turntables to start off with $350

You're looking at damn near a grand with that package.

Or you can go with

VDJ(Virutal DJ)- $299 (Able to spin Video and MP3's out of the box) comes down loadable with free upgrades

Time coded Vinyl- $30 bucks...when you buy virtual dj you can download the files to make your own time coded CD's

Numark Battle Pack- $350 (Buy the package deal but you won't need the mixer, you'll need the midi controller mixer below!) the mixer will come in handy if you spin real records.

Behringer BCD3000- $199 or less

That'll put you under $900, could put you real close to $800 if you go with diff't turntables (cheaper) or used ones

OnQ

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
So I've been doin some more research, and realize that it's not worth trying to cut costs. I'm thinking about getting serato, a pair of numark tt-200's and a mixer (not quite sure which one yet). Will this gear make it possible to use it in the studio with my digi 002 pro tools setup and also live with just my laptop? I know that with the serato interface it just connects to your computer through usb, but how could I go about setting it up through pro tools?

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
So I've been doin some more research, and realize that it's not worth trying to cut costs. I'm thinking about getting serato, a pair of numark tt-200's and a mixer (not quite sure which one yet). Will this gear make it possible to use it in the studio with my digi 002 pro tools setup and also live with just my laptop? I know that with the serato interface it just connects to your computer through usb, but how could I go about setting it up through pro tools?

Line 1 & 2 in on your sound card and your good. That's what I do when I'm using tables in the studio....line 1&2 in and enable a track in your DAW. Your really don't have to do the usb joint.

members online