need help making a show cd?

micv30

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i am using cool edit. do i just lower the volumes on the main vocals and doubles and leave adlibs as is. also what effects do i use? please need help with this!!!

Agent Smith

IllMuzik Junkie
ill o.g.
different people do it different ways and just to disclaim, this is my personal method and opinion--
on my show tapes, i never leave any vocals on there (sooommeetimes the backups for the hook...but that's it)---

mostly because i want the crowd to have that live experience and because i never spit the same way live. i think leaving ad-libs and doubles is amateurish. if you have a strong enough stage presence you won't need it.

just use the instrumentals...trust me.

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
different people do it different ways and just to disclaim, this is my personal method and opinion--
on my show tapes, i never leave any vocals on there (sooommeetimes the backups for the hook...but that's it)---

i think leaving ad-libs and doubles is amateurish. if you have a strong enough stage presence you won't need it.

just use the instrumentals...trust me.

i have to disagree to a extent. I leave ad libs. I think it enhances the performance. But I've done live shit wit just instrumentals. I think its preference.

I say, learn from experience and see what fits you best. You can have a strong stage presence and still use ad libs. To each his own i guess.

mercurywaters

hip hop in the flesh
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
yeah. i think what you need will be dictated by how you perform. if you're gonna have an army of dudes on stage with you doing background vocals then you probably need just an instrumental and maybe some elements of the hook if necessary. if you're by yourself then having backing vocals and the hook on there can help you save some breath.

micv30

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
well there is going to be four of us. they want me to just lower the vocals and adlibs and make beat louder. but i gonna play with it and see which one gonna work for us. thanks for everybody's input. i personally want to do just instrumental or maybe just leave chorus on there..

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Actually you should remove the main vocals and turn UP the adlibs and hook for this, when it comes through the PA its gonna sound diff than when you mix for a reg cd.
Trust me on this. You dont have to have them loud as hell, just louder than what they were, I heard this from a cat who owns a moderate size studio here and does lots of work and tried it ....just guessed my first time doing this and it came off correct.

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
Actually you should remove the main vocals and turn UP the adlibs and hook for this, when it comes through the PA its gonna sound diff than when you mix for a reg cd.
Trust me on this. You dont have to have them loud as hell, just louder than what they were, I heard this from a cat who owns a moderate size studio here and does lots of work and tried it ....just guessed my first time doing this and it came off correct.

agreed big rel

micv30

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
so when i do that turn up the adlibs and keep chorus part just add fx to make it sound clear. my fx's i usually use in order is click and pop removal,hard limiting,dynamic processing, light reverb, graphic eq,normalize, then last noise reduction. as far as the beat goes it is already pretty loud i think it was already mixed i bought it off a site and sounds real good to me. am i missing anything fx's wise on the vocals? i found that oder of effects by googleing it.

thanks again everyone i really appreciate it. show just around the corner and i was freaking out but got a few more days to get it right.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
you can pm me the track to listen to , but...

The chain you find that works...will be the chain you find that works...

I cant tell you a magic chain plugin thing , beacuse according to your listening environment it will change.
You just want it as flat as possible so that whoever is bumpin it at the show(the sound guy...If they care) has a good pallette to work with even if they dont do shit.

YOu have to be the sound guy before the sound guy..
But all this comes with experience and yes ..bad experience is experience...so do your best and you'll know better how to do it afterwards.

DJ Redrum

Playin' For Keeps
ill o.g.
my fx's i usually use in order is : click and pop removal, normalize, then last noise reduction.

You shouldn't really have to be using any of those within your chain.

How does the track currently sounds? As it been mastered by a real ME? Or was it put together by yourself? If so it would probably help you alot to read up on more theory to get the basics + together.

It's kind of hard for any of us to tell you what the track needs without hearing it, with each track being different.

micv30

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
one of the tracks is on my myspace.com/putitondascaleproductions called "j's on my feet" which actually isn't the final copy. got a new track we just did but not on there yet but will do it at the show.