Need help for hardware, Mad respect

junxiwang

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
To all the masters, please give me a clue about beat making setting.

I M trying to throw some scratch into my beat, which equipment I should get for that?tech 1200 or Numark ns 7???

Currently I got mpc 1000 only, I want make beats like 90's(instrumental with scratch).

Please help me out.

Peace goes out

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
My suggestion would be the NS7. Here's why...adding some scratches to your beats would be more suitable on the NS7's. If you wanted to get into DJ'ing then I would suggest the 1200's. For production work, the NS7 will be a lot easier in just about every aspect.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Most of us use our DAW to record, but if you want a hardware recorder, it's really going to depend on how much money you want to spend. They run from $300 - up pretty much.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
sl1200+vestax06pro+mpc -> pc

ns7 is fun but nothing beats vinyl imo for scratching but!

vestax//sl1200 tt + vestax + NI scratchduo interface

^^ get the best of both, scratch mp3 and vinyl

lion-ucs

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
My suggestion would be the NS7. Here's why...adding some scratches to your beats would be more suitable on the NS7's. If you wanted to get into DJ'ing then I would suggest the 1200's. For production work, the NS7 will be a lot easier in just about every aspect.

Agreed
But, keeping in mind it's still going to take much learning and practice.

If you just want to add scratches to some beats but not really do it on the regular check out Image-Line's Gross Beat, that's easier and much cheaper. It's not going to be the same as actually scratching, so don't think of it as a comparable alternative, but the average listener wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Actually now that I think of it, I should get back to writing up about what I came up with in Gross Beat.

junxiwang

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Agreed
But, keeping in mind it's still going to take much learning and practice.

If you just want to add scratches to some beats but not really do it on the regular check out Image-Line's Gross Beat, that's easier and much cheaper. It's not going to be the same as actually scratching, so don't think of it as a comparable alternative, but the average listener wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Actually now that I think of it, I should get back to writing up about what I came up with in Gross Beat.

I mean to put some scratch of words,certain sounds.. some like that, my english sucks... any way, like those old school beat makers, such as DJ premier, pete rock...

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
^^^ just get any decent tt and battle mixer, ni scratch duo and you can scratch from vinyl or just about anything on your computer...

and i support turntablism! ofc you can use gross beat but becoming a turntablist is much better lol

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
I mean to put some scratch of words,certain sounds.. some like that, my english sucks... any way, like those old school beat makers, such as DJ premier, pete rock...

In that case 12's, real wax or dj software where u can use mp3's or wave files in authentic wax form ala Serato or Virtual DJ accompanied by there vinyl of course. That's the only way to get that authentic scratch or kutt sound that you would need to produce in that style.

I own the NS7 and the only way to get that sound with it would be to sample real vinyl records. NS7 doesn't have a needle so you can't get that authentic crackle and noise of the record. It does have rotating descent size platters though.

junxiwang

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
In that case 12's, real wax or dj software where u can use mp3's or wave files in authentic wax form ala Serato or Virtual DJ accompanied by there vinyl of course. That's the only way to get that authentic scratch or kutt sound that you would need to produce in that style.

I own the NS7 and the only way to get that sound with it would be to sample real vinyl records. NS7 doesn't have a needle so you can't get that authentic crackle and noise of the record. It does have rotating descent size platters though.

Please dont mind my rookie question: compare to TIME CODE vinyl with 1200, NS7 doesnt sounds that real??? or close to the same? I mean if I try to scratch some sample in a beat.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
Please dont mind my rookie question: compare to TIME CODE vinyl with 1200, NS7 doesnt sounds that real??? or close to the same? I mean if I try to scratch some sample in a beat.

For what you're wanting to do I'd go with 12's and vinyl. I'd say use what the producers that you're trying to emulate use.

U can indeed get it done with the NS7....you'll just have to add somethings. There are plenty vinyl distortion type effects out there that you can route through to get a some what authentic sound.

Producers like Premo and P.Rock would probably gather there samples that they wanted to use and get them cut to wax then record the scratches and what not. They have it like that though....it can be pretty expensive to do short runs of vinyl.

lion-ucs

ILLIEN
ill o.g.

I wasn't planning on doing so just yet. But I went ahead and uploaded a scratch track I done with Gross Beat via SoundCloud.

I want to do a/an (mini)album with this as there are currently no good examples of Gross Beat "Scratching" no are there any good presets for such a thing. Anyway, here's an example of something I did:

http://soundcloud.com/lion/itchy-pads

BTW, this isn't to sway any decision towards what I use, just showing what it's capable of.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
^^^ ive used gross mostly on the mastering bus in addition to stutter plugs. You're right as there arent any plugs that come close but i still find it a bit tidious to use as an insert. The problem is kinda like drums but human groove imo plays a bigger role when scratching.

Step Soprano

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
For what you're wanting to do I'd go with 12's and vinyl. I'd say use what the producers that you're trying to emulate use.

U can indeed get it done with the NS7....you'll just have to add somethings. There are plenty vinyl distortion type effects out there that you can route through to get a some what authentic sound.

Producers like Premo and P.Rock would probably gather there samples that they wanted to use and get them cut to wax then record the scratches and what not. They have it like that though....it can be pretty expensive to do short runs of vinyl.

This ^^^, some of the producers I work with do this quite frequently, Dallas Austin can get there shit on wax to sample, but he only let a few of the producers we work with get with that shit.

Cymatic Kicks

ill o.g.
If you're going to be using a computer, you could get an MPD or something similar instead of an MPC, then use something like Ableton to configure it to work like an MPC. I use the Korg padKontrol for that with Ableton on my Macbook. I like the pads on the Korg a lot better than on the MPD's, and it has an X-Y area for whatever effects you want to assign to it. They're known to be the best pads besides the Native Instruments Maschine, which is a lot more expensive.