Nas and Prodigy 'Self Conscience' (DJ Excellence remix)

hosie

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 5
Interesting acapella choice. I'm currently putting together a Nas mix and I started working on this one last night.

This is actually very close to the original which I actually don't think does justice to the verses - hence my own reason for remixing. Not listening on great speakers but I can't really detect a bass and with such a minimalist beat I feel like you really need a supporting bassline. I'd like a change up on the drums as they become quite repetitive sounding. I tend to think this with beats that have such constant kicks. It's double kick snare (KKSKKS) all the way through which is similar to the original. In fact it might even be the exact same throughout. Might well be personal taste but I would definitely get some saturation on the drum bus mix, I find this also aids in curtailing repetitiveness. I'd thicken up the kicks too, give it more low end and beef the snare a little and up the treble with some reverb (maybe even a little feedback to act as a hi hat) to help it transition smoothly into the next bar.

Hope this helps!

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
L'excellence

DJ Excellence

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 229
Interesting acapella choice. I'm currently putting together a Nas mix and I started working on this one last night.

This is actually very close to the original which I actually don't think does justice to the verses - hence my own reason for remixing. Not listening on great speakers but I can't really detect a bass and with such a minimalist beat I feel like you really need a supporting bassline. I'd like a change up on the drums as they become quite repetitive sounding. I tend to think this with beats that have such constant kicks. It's double kick snare (KKSKKS) all the way through which is similar to the original. In fact it might even be the exact same throughout. Might well be personal taste but I would definitely get some saturation on the drum bus mix, I find this also aids in curtailing repetitiveness. I'd thicken up the kicks too, give it more low end and beef the snare a little and up the treble with some reverb (maybe even a little feedback to act as a hi hat) to help it transition smoothly into the next bar.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the feedback (there's definitely an added bassline under the main sample). It was my intention to keep it close to the original (with a spookier vibe).

the beat and pella arent meshing for me, sounds like a beat with a pella just thrown on top rather than a remix. The bass is a bit on the low freq side of things, could be a bit more present in the mix, some saturation and boosting higher harmonics could make it more present. Once again Id suggest some variation to keep things more interesting.