My Problem with Wendy Day and the likes of her.

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
Dear All:

As you know, Wendy Day is a powerful person that appeals to the masses with her independent approach to the market and the "willingness" to help an individual rapper or producer to get their art/music off the ground.

I have no problem with that. In fact, that's what I am here to help you all with.

But the fact is, and I guess I am paradoxical in my comment because I am sort of a "likes of her" individual.

The more people there are making rap music. The more people there are trying to be rappers elevates the "price" of the rap artists managers and agents already represent in negotiations.

Not only do sales matter, but the overall music environment creating the "worth" of an artist. It is possible to say that many hopefuls (the millions out there) are "being used" by people in higher positions to achieve ulterior goals.

With hip hop fashion, and the demand for it at levels unprecedented I can now take 1 artist or indie label wishing to have distribution through a major, and jack up the price of the artist or indie distribution because of the current popularity of hiphop, and the flood of people that follow and create the music.

That's a great thing, if one of you get into the big leagues, your price will be much higher than a current punk act for example.

The fact is, that as hiphop is garnering more people lower on the totem pole, the "stock" of those up higher, like a recently signed artist, has skyrocketed from what the price of a hiphop artist was years ago.

Though there is more competition, there are more consumers.

I just wish people would tell you this. Hey, keep consuming and making hip-hop, and I'm trying to help you because you are raising the price of my artist.

Come on Wendy, you know that.

Negotiate the $30 mil deal for Cash Money, what was your cut... you starving "rebel"?

I can hustle a deal for you Wendy, I could eclipse it, but you have to let the common people know what you are doing all the public servitude for. Let me negotiate Luda's spinoff. Won't you ask me the numbers for Wind-Up?

How many will fail, how many are you really asking to rationalise their business plans and see if the costs and benefits in the cutthroat music industry is an okay thing to do? How many people don't know of the evil and dark underworld involved in the music industry. Do the newbies know what's really going on? You know what I'm talking about Wendy.

You've been on this site, Wendy. I know you have.

Sincerely,
God

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Good post God, I don't know if you should have kept this private between the 2 of you, but that's your business.

I had contacted Wendy a long time ago about a few industry questions I had and she was very helpful, and from what I've read about her I highly respect what she's done. But I won't comment on the things you're mentioning in this thread, I just wanted to drop my 2 cents overall.

God, you say Wendy has been on here? Is she registered? Just curious.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
I think all noobs are still naive when it comes to discovering the industries. As far as I know about Wendy Day ( which I also read about on here, logicaly since Im European ) I can see her efforts as plausible ones. But that only goes for her case, I also dont know other people offering the same consultancy. In any case, you must reccon that in most cases "service" is and will be a very easy and lucrative business, that besides the other musical exploitations in this crazy business. So, in fact it's a shame that there arent many consultantes alike Wendy's so that the other thousands of potential artist can also claim their future perspectives. Since it is not so, I can only conclude to be carefull and really consider the sober site of the day. You, the artist is at the bottom, are with many, too many to choose from and the people at the top are with as less as possible to keep the current monopoly, that current is being fed by those on the bottom. Conclusion, you seldomly will have the situation where the exploitation of your productions will be executed on equal shares, it's just too easy for the majors to exploit artist completly without thinking of an equal share in the profits since there are just too many victims to exploit which makes it so damn easy.

I also think that the future prospect upon this issue is the cause for many noobs to consider them going indy. something that has come up with quite an impact in the last few years. Same reason for a lot of noobs considering to exploit their products online. It's like noob companies will try to avoid getting into contact with certain majors as they consider those " dark underworld " companies as an obstacle rather than the means to get rich or to get recognition. In general those noob companies are aware of heavy exploitation ( read artist raping ). Those in it for the money and still having troubles music industry will find their ways making quicker and better money by exploiting globaly and not neccesarly US biased.

Come to think of it now, the weak spot, the bottleneck for the victims is the law that applies to the music industry, US in general since it carries the global music industry. By law, the artists aren't protected enough and can never be aware of danger without the likes of Wendy Day, which unfortunatly is only 1 consultant. That means that the majors can cover their actions backed by law, being untouchable. It's also a market protocol that will destroy itself, in the long run things ( rules, positions ) must change for the benefit because I think the industry will fall behind with the amount of indy labels and rising talent emerging every day. In any case, some major will win the monopoly game and a new game starts, those that will appear indy succesfully have the option to grow into a major within the next few decades. They can comeout just like the bad n evil majors these days and the game just start again, without us.

Bad case of history repeating.

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
Look the scam is that you actually think she's legitimate in her effort. She won't tell you that the odds of success are so minute that you have a better shot winning a lottery of some form. I will, and consistently tell people to assess the costs and benefits, especially when trying to start some garbage label. It's better not to start anything if you don't have a plan, or have the victory you desire thought out.

Logic and rationality are consistently thrown out of the picture when an artist or producer sees stars in his or her eyes. The opiate of fame is one which quickly blinds common sense. Many people take advantage of this. Including her.

Her "help" is great, it will fuel the deals of people I know, it will raise the price of everyone's artists, but don't say that everyone legitimately can "make it." I can go crazy counting the number of hoops an A&R rep and artist have to go through to JUST GET AN ALBUM OUT, after the artist ALREADY has been signed.

Does she talk about the boardroom wars, the backstabbing that is necessary to put out an album above another A&R reps.

Does she talk about having somebody call the artist's management to freak the artist out just enough so that rep has to try to postpone or lose a spot at a meeting?

Of course doesn't talk of the dirty tricks. And that's once an artist has been signed. I'll post it today or tomorrow when I have a chance. It's so much tougher than everyone thinks.

Her upcoming deals only show how elevated her price as a representative has come. She obviously knows the game, and how to fuel things that elevate her alleged legitimacy, when she is the antithesis of what people perceive she represents.

Does she tell you how many people fail, or how they go down with those stars in their eyes? How about the artists in the deals she failed at? Formant, you talk of the global marketplace, and that is true. Is there a mention of the strongarming many middlemen between a distributor like WEA and the store the company has to deal with? How do you cut them out? How tied in it is into Japanese society? That's why CD's are so expensive there. I think it is self-serving of her to claim that she is this independent 'consultant,' as you said, chastising the music industry, but can not survive without the very people she chastises. They pay her bill, and the light above her head.

Apologies for the rant, I'll stop, LOL. I should be calmer you know.
:)

Sincerely,
God

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
God, I'm fine with you posting your concerns about what Wendy does/does not say or do, but I think it would be good if you also invited her to signup here and respond to your thread. I just don't want people to see IllMuzik as a place to vent your frustrations on a person without giving them a chance to defend themselves, that's all.

Plus, I'm just curious as to why you're posting all this. Did some sort of deal between the 2 of you fall through?

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
@Fade, this is all objective, plus these arent assumptions, this is info given. For someone to be placed so well within a spectre of this industry she ( willing or not ) remains an good example, subjected to this thread.

My share in this principle comes from another profession as a field service engineer in semi conductors industries. Again, the target is money since there's plenty in this market. The easiest way to gain a lot of this money by " little " effort is Service. Service equals business and it serves Wendy well, I can therefor understand her modus operandi as it's the best promo for her company; a famous artist brought to you by Ms. Day. I still wonder about her complete guidance to an artist, as you mentioned, does she her clientel you appropriate wake up call ? It's eventualy like all lawyers, in a case you trust upon your advocate to win , you dont think of his intentions about his honarium or his benefits why you contract him. He wont ever tell you but if your a bit clever you know what to expect. Same goes for Wendy Day's service, it good and there for a reason, but like everything if your impatient, it'll cost you dearly. To me that pretty much business as usuall, not fair, but then again life's not fair. I got over that part hehe.

Does she tell you how many people fail, or how they go down with those stars in their eyes? How about the artists in the deals she failed at? Formant, you talk of the global marketplace, and that is true. Is there a mention of the strongarming many middlemen between a distributor like WEA and the store the company has to deal with? How do you cut them out? How tied in it is into Japanese society? That's why CD's are so expensive there. I think it is self-serving of her to claim that she is this independent 'consultant,' as you said, chastising the music industry, but can not survive without the very people she chastises. They pay her bill, and the light above her head.

Strongarming of middlemen ? Distributions ? I havent found the corperations that unite in the same manner like US distributions, I have done my own labour, research and the only thing I can say is, demand! There's demand for a lot of things outside the US, you make your path and work yourself into the demand and you're a happy camper.
I consider anything outside the US easier to market, the US is like bringing buckets of water to the sea ( dutch saying ). Thus, on the big scale, you're bringin less effort ( money ) and risk ( time ) to bring your products on the market. To me the US market only consists of 20 places in the countdown, after that comes the rest of the exploitations but you have to get in there in order to make units moving ( first time I used slang here ) whilst the countdown does what does, counting down the time till your next succes if you get the chance. In general, outside the US your products will have value for exploit over a longer period. So in context with the US protocol ( throwing all the money aiming at a little chance of succeeding ) the global market can be much more friendly.

Cd's are mainly expensive because most cd's are import and part of the industry simply maintains a conservative pricetag, that opposed to new technology making the lucrativity of import less appealing. That threatens the jobs involved which are also lucrative.

I agree on the independent consultant tag, but that's merely a keyword for promotion. If, in her cases, her clients can and will benefit though here guiding procedure than there's little room for criticism, everybody gets their money. On the fact that the word Independent has been used can only be determined by her succeeded clientel, which I dont know. If she executes her business on top of the hierarchy than you can hardly call it independent and considering here status I can also hardly imagine that she'll take up a case that wont benefit her. That also says something about the subjected artist which is ( considering her amount of potential customers ) not always your monthly breadwinner.

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
Fade: Sorry about it. I'll stop. Perhaps, if you wish, you may delete my posts referring to her. I'm ok with that. It's your site, and I understand your concern.

Formant: Japan has a whole structure of middlemen that mark up the price of a CD. From the initial purchaser that acts as the wholesaler for their territory to the smaller middlemen who deal with smaller territories, and smaller and smaller, up to the exclusive distributors of the retail chains in Japan. I disagree with you on the price and the LACK of markup because of excessive middlemen in Japan.

In the United States, WEA can sell directly, if necessary to a large retail chain. This brings down the cost of a CD versus Japan. You're talking about DEMAND in Japan? They have stores that let you rent audio CD's and burn them at home. That's a solution to the middleman crisis they have.

Sincerely,
God

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
God said:
Fade: Sorry about it. I'll stop. Perhaps, if you wish, you may delete my posts referring to her. I'm ok with that. It's your site, and I understand your concern.

Formant: Japan has a whole structure of middlemen that mark up the price of a CD. From the initial purchaser that acts as the wholesaler for their territory to the smaller middlemen who deal with smaller territories, and smaller and smaller, up to the exclusive distributors of the retail chains in Japan. I disagree with you on the price and the LACK of markup because of excessive middlemen in Japan.

In the United States, WEA can sell directly, if necessary to a large retail chain. This brings down the cost of a CD versus Japan. You're talking about DEMAND in Japan? They have stores that let you rent audio CD's and burn them at home. That's a solution to the middleman crisis they have.

Sincerely,
God

I got that, but Im not talking Japan specificly ( I know I have in former posts to example the oriental ), just in general anything outside the US. I was also looking how this subject got derrived from the thread, but I think what I was to say is that the money people are after can be obtained quite easily without waiting year or so from cd profits ( what's left of it ). In that case, its easier to print and provide from within whatever region your exploiting and deal with distribution per country/region. Bookings are like the prefered exploits, because it's mostly cash on the spot and frequent. Than their are other means to make money quick and ez, depending on your company ( independent in this one) and protocol.

WEA, okay... Imagine a smaller country outside the US that requires less quantity even for the bigger retail stores in that country. The purchased amount is less than most retail stores in the US. The problem is the discount on the amount purchased from WEA, plus shipping and Import/Export ( taxes ) and then they hit the store. I understand it's cheap within the US, but outside the US like here in the Netherlands we can still pay up to $20/22 a cd-album if it aint on discount.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
God, you can post what you want on this subject, but I'm just saying that you mentioned she's been here before, so in all fairness it would be good to see her respond, no big deal.

Freakwncy

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 17
Keep it coming...

I've been following this thread since it was first posted... 1. I see GOD's point and comments. 2. I'm also interested in what she has to say too, as does Fade. 3. I could careless what happened between you too (GOD and Wendy). I would just like to keep reading the comments, because I'm finding a lot of helpful hidden information araising from these comments. I'm surprise more people are not commenting and reading these comments

* The industry (from my eyes) is definetly full of hoops, pitfalls, and bars. The more you can see this iteams coming, the better you can prepare yourself to overcome them.*

One Love.
Freak.