Musical Inspirations & Influences

Erica Johnson

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
jawanza malik said:
i like all music. the stranger da betta.
i think its all about how you hear music.
fo example i jus made a beat 2 days ago wit a jazz horn, jonh legend hum and a beck drum loop and it came out 2 be some soulful ish. dats 1 thing i love bout timbo
he make music out of shit dat aint even quote on quote music.
like wings of an angel got sounds i love cuz its different..
Aww man, I feel you on that from top to bottom! I love real life sounds and then turn them into music. Sometimes, the simplest things are music to me like calculator buttons being tapped! Haha!

dj360_iNfInItE1

UNDeRGROUND STaTE of MiND
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 16
I get musical inspiration from all types of music that I find good. I know that's broad but it fits me. I have a broad variety of musical tastes and I draw from all of it. Anything at all that I find musically pleasing to my ear is incorporated into my being. Anyway, my first musical influence was from James Brown. And that was at an early age, about 3 I think. Anyway, I love music no matter what genre as long as it sounds good to me.

Wizdom

Soul Collector
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Prince was the first artist to get me really playing the keyboards. I used to lip sing "Darlin' Nikki' while playing (badly) my casio keyboard. My Mother used to play and sing Minnie Riperton and Nancy Wilson day in and day out. I used to get sick of hearing it but now I think of how good that music was.

I also listen to late 60's/early 70's music with the rich melodies and heart felt lyrics. If you listen to this music, you'll notice the intro's, melodies, changes, outrous in the songs that were so much more complex than today's music. This is evidenced by the fact that so many producers could make different soungs off of just one. Parliament was genius at that as well.

J-ReZyN

Soul Slinger
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Like many here, I also grew up exposed to a very wide range of music. My family all had broad musical tastes and I absorbed it like a sponge learning to love and appreciate music in general. Everything from classical to country, to 50's, 60's & 70's stuff, everything Motown, soul, blues, southern, classic and hard rock, disco, reggae, gospel, etc. I grew up with hip hop as it evolved starting back in the late 70's and when it first broke out it was one of the first genres that I discovered and explored on my own and with friends my age, so it's a big part of me and one of my main influences. But I'm also influenced by many other genres and find inspiration in most music I listen to. It doesn't matter what it is, I hear a song I like and immediately I'm remixing it in my head, breaking down the elements, picking out samples, getting ideas for new melodies or basslines or percussion. Like Erica Johnson, I also have a love for electronic music and originally started out producing house, acid, techno and other stuff before I tried my hand at hip hop and that music is such an inspiration that I find myself incorporating elements from that and other genres I love into my hip hop tracks. I guess I can say that music in general inspires me.

Ruimixx

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Gap Band, Dazz Band, BarKays, DeBarge, The Time, Midnight Starr, Cameo....

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
My musical inspiration is YOU. Everybody out there that is bootlegging FL Studio,
buying wax everyday, and taking power naps after work just so that they can stay up
the rest of the night making music, that's what makes me keep going.
I'm lucky enuff to be in a position where I can listen to new music and kind of "discover"
new artists, so you'll never hear me say "Hip Hop is dead" becuz I get to hear
that next new sound even if it doesn't ship half-a-million pre-orders.

It's funny because I was raised in a hyper-competitive athletic environment where #2 is not good enuff, and I feel that music has filled that competitive drive now that I no longer compete at that level, BUT when it comes to music, I don't feel the need to smash another rapper or producer. If I hear something that's dope, it makes me wanna represent from MY point of view, instead of emulating somebody else.

I play guitar, and have played drums when I was younger, so I have influences in those areas that range from Santana to the one armed drummer from Def Lepard. Music is a good thing.

robb_lowe

Akai Till I Die...
ill o.g.
old hip hop...gangstarr, nice and smooth, lords of the underground, etc. also some old soul...otis redding, dorothy moore, etc. but my biggest inspiration is my younger brother who just started making beats six months ago. i let him hold my mpc 2000xl and he's killing it right now. he's still in his raw stages, but once he gets the hang of it, he's going to be a problem. he's the main reason why i stay on my "grizzly".

$Maximillion$

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I love anything by Curtis Mayfield that dude is a genuis. he inspired me for none sample based tracks. So did any producer from the motown era. Far as samples it would have to be the RZA. I don't care what any of you say this guy is extremely genuis to me. Oh yeah I'm a BIG wu fan too.

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
Relic said:
I have been on a wings of an Angel thing lately listenin to Jazz in traffic in the morning.

Ain't nothin' like a fountain of steamy Jazz\Blues sounds in the morning!

jawanza malik said:
like wings of an angel got sounds i love cuz its different..

Heh, word is life. Thanks for listening. Keep up the good work! ;)

ron herman

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Kurtis Mantronix, Sly Stone, Stylistics, Dj Premier, Pete Rock, Sam Sever, Quincy Jones. Bootsy Collins, Blood Sweat and Tears, etc.