multi tracks?

dj ShorTbuS

Cold Get Retarded
ill o.g.
what's up yall. do you guys think a hardware or software multi track is the better option. i'm kinda leaning towards hardware but i'd like to get your opinions on what to get and what you've personally worked with. i'm looking to be able to mix down, master, add effects, burn to cd, etc. if i sell my keyboard i can spend around $1000. peace.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
pc is cheaper and does the same trick, you just need a good dsp card and multi I/O with a good AD-DA conversion. I'd recommend looking into RME, they have loads of solutions.

http://www.rme-audio.com

M

MIKELABZ

if u use ACID u can do all that shyt in less time for way cheaper.

L-Rock

mercurywaters

hip hop in the flesh
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
on the flip-side computers suck. they crash more than hardware multitracks and i think there is a bigger learning curve. not only do you have to learn how to record, mix, eq, etc, you have to learn how to use the software. plus examine if your computer is really set up well for audio recording. i wasted alot of money not knowing my computer would conflict with any soundcard i put in it

nas2000xl

The Ripper
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
i agree with formant & mercurywaters. you also need a large hard drive, a lot of ram, and a fast processor to do multitracking with effects on pc. all of that will determine how much multitracking can be done. over all pc is cheaper.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
scsi man, but the good side to having scsi, enough meg and s/w is that with a dsp card you can use a cheap pc like a P3/400 something. It would be sufficient for recording. There just not a lot of vst'ing to be done on a slow pc, but then again, if it's multi tracking that you want you should rely on outboard fx, a good console and actualy gear and mics to fill up @ least 16chnls of audio. What you could do is get a UAD-1 from Mackie instead of outboard fx. Also dsp, so you could use it on a older pc. Btw, did I say that most RME cards are Asio embedded ? Think about it.