Multi-Quantize

KelzCorleone

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Sup yall? I was wondering how everybody quantizes there drums. I have been every interested in the right swing in a pattern. That's 1 of the first things i listen for in a track. I quantize my drums in 50%, snare/clap in 90% and my hi hats in 65%. On a 88-96 BPM track. And i'll jus quantize my my instrument among the rhythm, of the beat. Does in body else get this technical with there patterns? If so how do you Quantize?

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
Sup yall? I was wondering how everybody quantizes there drums. I have been every interested in the right swing in a pattern. That's 1 of the first things i listen for in a track. I quantize my drums in 50%, snare/clap in 90% and my hi hats in 65%. On a 88-96 BPM track. And i'll jus quantize my my instrument among the rhythm, of the beat. Does in body else get this technical with there patterns? If so how do you Quantize?

Reason has a shuffle feature on the ReDrum which causes a swing. I usually turn it on and adjust the swing on the sequencer. I don't go any higher than 66. Some subgenres in hip hop don't call for swing so I don't use it when trying to do beats of those kind. I don't swing diff't components of the drumz at diff't variations. I'm sure if u do u have a very unique drum pattern!

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
it really depends, this question gets asked a lot over on mpc forums but there is no formula for all tracks. A lot of times I'll do 1/16 or 1/32 quantize, generally between 57 and 64% swing for kicks and something with less swing for the snare track. A lot of my drums i do in 1-32 triplet though so there's no swing function there. You really gotta experiment with each track, the time spent is worth it.

KelzCorleone

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
it really depends, this question gets asked a lot over on mpc forums but there is no formula for all tracks. A lot of times I'll do 1/16 or 1/32 quantize, generally between 57 and 64% swing for kicks and something with less swing for the snare track. A lot of my drums i do in 1-32 triplet though so there's no swing function there. You really gotta experiment with each track, the time spent is worth it.

I agree, but i know dre and scott storch got the perfect swing on the drum and snare. They have a different swing on the drum and the snare. It seems to me a track never has bounce when the drum and snare have the same quantization. It shows how professional and experimental a producer is.

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
i can't believe i had no idea what quantize meant. i think i've tried to do that on my own. i'll have to mess around with that cuz it sounds very useful. i belive my magix music maker has that feature.

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I agree, but i know dre and scott storch got the perfect swing on the drum and snare. They have a different swing on the drum and the snare. It seems to me a track never has bounce when the drum and snare have the same quantization. It shows how professional and experimental a producer is.

agreed, thats actually what i meant to say there, i always quantize the two differently and shift time them differently. not just dre and storch do that, just about all pro producers do

KelzCorleone

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
agreed, thats actually what i meant to say there, i always quantize the two differently and shift time them differently. not just dre and storch do that, just about all pro producers do

Agree, the drums are very important. I feel the drums are the ground for the instruments to walk on. I jus wanted to bring this topic up cause i rarely so this topic and in the industry it's very important to a rapper, though they cant hear it, only feel it, and wondered how everybody goes about there drum patterns as far as quatizing. Thanks HI-Lo for the info

ill o.g.
hi, one way is to begin with a swing percentage quantize set and then go back in and alter individual hits without quantize, placing hits just before or after the ticks. you can also try alternating the swing percentage after four bars for the next four to be different.....remember real swing is not static and repeating after 4 bars but is constantly fluctuating. Another way is to directly make little sweeps in the tempo track although too much and youve got an un-beatmixable track.

members online

No members online now.