MPX8 + Korg Microkey VS MPK25 VS other/older equipment

Hi there,
this is my first post and I'm excited to start being active in the forum since I'm about to get my first equipments.

And this is what this topic is about - I'd love to have some advices about this.

First I say, rather than playing a bit with Logic and Reason, I don't know so much about producing and sampling, but I feel that a small investment is needed to help me feeling more the action of doing music.

At first I was about to go for the MPK25 (or the M-Audio Axiom 25) having a keyboard + pads all in once.
Then reading about some complains on both of them, I tried to look for separate gears, and I read about the MPX8 as a good cheap sampler, and the Korg Microkey, a good key-sensitive MIDI keyboard.

The price is going to be quiet the same, and I don't need to go around with my equipment, so the fact that the MPK25 is bigger it's not a big deal.

I just want to stay in a good "real beginner" affordable equipment, and have an equipment which, with this budget, is not going to be the best on the market, but more an extension of my software and a help for my fingers
icon_cool.gif
I can't ask for much with 200€ budget.

My interests are in sampling, looping, and playing some basic instrumental stuff on a keyboard to give more personal harmony to my tracks.

I'm open to every suggestion (save money, stay cheaper, buy another brand, go second-hand where you can have the essence of a older technology and methods, devote yourself to gardening..)

Thanks in advance
nod.gif

Doug

Buying used is a life saver when you're on a tight budget. I saved myself a ton of money over the years by going that route. You've also got to make good buys to make it work in your favor though! Search Craigslist or eBay. Buy stuff off friends. You can find a MIDI keyboard for pretty cheap nowadays. I paid $30 for my first M-Audio KeyStudio 49, in the original box, with all the original parts. The guy also gave me a USB cable for it, and a brand new keyboard stand. I spent maybe $10-12 in fuel to drive and pick it up. I got a Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-670 drum machine for $40 off of one of my buddies in perfect working order, I picked up an Akai MPD26 for $100 off of another dude, new in the box, with an Ableton license and cables. Good deals are out there!

Buying used is a life saver when you're on a tight budget. I saved myself a ton of money over the years by going that route. You've also got to make good buys to make it work in your favor though! Search Craigslist or eBay. Buy stuff off friends. You can find a MIDI keyboard for pretty cheap nowadays. I paid $30 for my first M-Audio KeyStudio 49, in the original box, with all the original parts. The guy also gave me a USB cable for it, and a brand new keyboard stand. I spent maybe $10-12 in fuel to drive and pick it up. I got a Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-670 drum machine for $40 off of one of my buddies in perfect working order, I picked up an Akai MPD26 for $100 off of another dude, new in the box, with an Ableton license and cables. Good deals are out there!

Thanks man for the answer..
Well, I was checking right now those items and I've to say you've been pretty lucky :D
I can't find the keyboard for less than 120, the drum machine for less than 80, and the MPD is the only one I can find around 100€..
I'll check often so I can find the real big great deal, thanks!
Why don't you suggest the MPX8 + Korg Microkey? I mean, for sure having more pads and keys would be great, but aren't some pros in being new updated gears as well?

But, here comes my ignorance: what's the difference between a drum-machine and a sampler? I will do sampling and loads a lot of recorded stuff, so a computer will be always (let's say always) needed for me to create loops..but since I really didn't get too much the differences, it's hard to get which one would be best for me.

And, would you be afraid in buying something like a MPK25 with "all-in-one" solutions, rather than pads + keyboard separately?

Thanks so much, I hope I can find something soon cause I really want to start!

Doug

A drum machine like mine, can't record or sample anything. You've got to use the sounds that come with it. Mine for instance, is a step sequencer with 200 preset drum kits and drum loops, and also has bass sounds as well. You can record in real time onto the step sequence, but only with the sounds that come loaded into the machine. This one also has MIDI so I can run it through the MPD26 and trigger the sounds from the drum machine with the MPD.

A sampler can be have external sources recorded into it. Then you can work from there with it. Many of them also have step sequencing and preset sounds as well. As far as the MPX8 goes, I can't really give you an honest answer. I don't know too much about it. Looks like a pretty simple little sampler to me. You'd get better feedback off of the reviews of people whom actually own one, in my opinion.

Korg is always a solid brand/option, so I would guess that the Microkey is a good little keyboard. MPK's are solid as well, I've used a few of them in my day. The MPK88 is awesome for sure. Like I said though, keep your eyes peeled. Good deals are definitely out there.

Thanks Doug for your answer.
So from what you're saying I guess a sampler is what is best for me cause I'd like to have the chance to record some sounds from external devices such as a simple turntable..

But can a MPK25/49 sample from outside sources?
In that case it would be the best choice because of the integrated keyboard!

Doug

The MPK models are MIDI only, meaning they don't have the ability to make sounds without the incorporation of software. If you want an analogue, stand alone device for recording and playing back samples, you'd want a sampler.

members online