MPC4000 Users, OS 1.70 is out.

The-Shadow

Ego Sum Vox Manus Deus
ill o.g.
Maybe you know already or maybe you don't but it's here. OS 1.70 for the MPC 4000. They said it would be out around this time, they actually kept their schedule...surprising.

I'm going to load it up at the end of the week. They've been hyping it as the be all and end all of OS updates. You be the judge.

http://www.akaipro.com

Peace.

A readout of the OS changes follows below...

--

MPC4000 V1.70 has been released with the following new features and bug fixes from V1.60.

[New features]
General improvements
(1) The speed of automated Multi change (via Bank Select or Program Change) has been greatly improved.
(2) USB reliability greatly improved, especially when transferring large amounts of data from the MPC4000 to akSys.

SAMPLE mode
(1) Restrictions in setting the region and trim positions of samples have been relaxed.
(2) Editing of sample trim, loop and region start and end points is now possible using Qlinks Q5 and Q6. The edit operation is only active whilst Q5/6 ACTIVE key is pressed and held.
When ACTIVE key is first pressed, the 'zero' position of the fader is set. e.g., if fader position is at bottom, then edits will only be possible in positive direction, if fader position is at top, then edits will only be possible in negative direction.

MISC mode
(1) Add to play start option
* PLAY START key: TOP => play from the start of a sequence.
* PLAY START key: LOOP => play from the start of loop.
(2) Add NEXT, SUDDEN in the Sequence change with pgm change field.

MAIN mode
(1) TIMING CORRECT + WINDOW key opens TIMING CORRECT window.
(2) New locate key assignments.
(3) Device list now saved in flash:
1. Select MIDI OUT A-D and press window key on device field.
2. Input each device name. And press STORE (F6)
3. Device list save in flash.
Hint => If an .ALL file is loaded, it will overwrite the Device List in memory, but will not overwrite the copy stored in flash.

MIDI mode
(1) MIDI filter now saved to flash:
1. MIDI filter page (F2) in the MIDI mode.
2. Press STORE (F5) and open "Store MIDI Filter" window.
3. If press DO IT (F6), MIDI filter now save to flash.
GLOBAL mode
(1) After CLEAR MEMORY is performed, default items are now created if Default Items is set to ON.
(2) Changed CLEAR MEMORY warning window to use F1 and F5 keys:
* V1.60 => YES (F4), NO (F5)
* V1.70 => CHANCEL (F1), DO IT (F5)

SEQ EDIT mode
(1) MOVE PAD function is available in both SEQ and STEP EDIT pages but only for DRUM tracks. On INST tracks it shows MOVE NOTE. This feature (i.e. MOVE NOTE) has also been improved and made consistent in operation. In STEP EDIT the MOVE PAD/NOTE feature is only available if the event display is set to NOTE.

[Bugs fixed]
* Crash when deleting sequences in SONG page in certain circumstances.
* In the SONG page, continually copying & pasting a 999Bar sequence could cause a crash.
* Fixed crash when recording in Step Edit and a "MIDI Panic Reset" is received on MIDI-in-I and MIDI-in-II simultaneously.
* Modified playback to avoid clicks at the end of some samples (was only noticeable when polyphony was exceeded and voices were stolen).
* Fix problem with some USB memory sticks where samples could be corrupted during loading.
* MIDI filter did not function for MIDI-in II (only for MIDI-in I).
* MIDI clock received on both MIDI-in I and MIDI-in II would conflict with each Now the sequencer will only follow one of these.
* INITIAL Settings didn't reset the MIDI filter, it now does.
at the beginning of the sequence.
* MIDI events could not be recorded during play sequence into any places other than the LOOP range.
* "Sequence change with Program change" didn't work on pages other than MAIN.
* If a long sysex message (9 bytes or more) was recorded in step edit mode, incorrect data was recorded.
* Sample Trim Start was not set correctly when the record pre-trigger size was changed.
* On entering EFFECTS pages, "NO EFFECT" could be shown instead of the correct effect. This only happened when coming from PROGRAM or SAMPLE monitor mode.
* In the LOAD page, sometimes the disk contents would not be displayed and would appear to be blank.
* Selecting edit range using SHIFT+Locate keys not Working in the STEP EDIT mode.
* During sequence record, if you press and hold the TC key, the cursor jumps to the TC field as expected, but after 2-3 seconds, it jumps back to its previous position.
* When Loading a sequence in LOAD mode and there is same name sequence in memory. "Item(s) Renamed (207) / CANCEL" was changed to "Item(s) Renamed (207) / OK" since it is not possible to cancel this; it's for information only.
* It was not possible to access any partition other than the first partition on MPC formatted CD-ROMs.
* When the Note Event data of Track1 of sequence 1 is copied to (MERGE) Track2 of sequence 2, display was strange.
* In MAIN mode, (Unused) sequence is not initialized with cursor in Track block.
* Display bug in A.punch field in main mode: cursor could move to the left-side of out time: field.
* Numeric keys did not function correctly in the "Separate by MIDI" window.
* Overdubbing a looped sequence didn't work correctly.
* After executing the MOVE function, the NOW time was reset to 001.01.000 which was inconvenient.
* It was possible to record events beyond the end of the sequence and these resultant events could not be deleted by ERASE ALL.
* When copying/pasting events with REPLACE mode selected, events in the same region that were not of the type pasted would be deleted.
* In 16-levels window, a note is no longer sounded when the pad is changed by the data wheel. This could sometimes cause problems when one-shot samples were played.
* Several pages' softkey labels were changed to make consistent with other pages (e.g., YES/NO, DO IT/CANCEL).

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
thnks for the headz up imma get this as sson as i get bac to my crib... lookin at the list of problems i didnt know there was that many bugs.. there was a few problems i noticed that they fixed like the move note funtion and the "no effect" problem.. als
o being able to chop w/ the q link is cool too

The-Shadow

Ego Sum Vox Manus Deus
ill o.g.
Holmzini said:
thnks for the headz up imma get this as sson as i get bac to my crib... lookin at the list of problems i didnt know there was that many bugs.. there was a few problems i noticed that they fixed like the move note funtion and the "no effect" problem.. als
o being able to chop w/ the q link is cool too

That it is Holmz. This update is supposed to enable a lot ot the features that were marketed to come with the machine but were never enabled. I did install it and already I find my shifting between sequences to be smooth and I'm not having any MIDI delays anymore.

Even if you didn't experience any problems before, you'll see differences in how the machine works for sure.

Peace.

NORTH

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I'm thinking of buying an MPC4000... but I've read a ton of reviews which say it is a crashing piece of shit. Anyone want to suggest otherwise, or should I go for the 2000XL, which everyone says is much more stable?

-NORTH

NORTH

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Ok, too late... I bought a used MPC4000 for $1500... from what I can tell I got a killer deal on eBay (actually the best to date on ebay for a 4000), and the v1.7 OS makes the bitch as stable as she ever was.

-NORTH