Mpc

K

kickinit

Is the money worth buying an MPC even though i hardly sample and want to use it strictly for drums?

e.porter

eyez all hazy...
ill o.g.
if you hardly sample and want to use it only for drums then just buy a midi controller or an mpd 16 or trigger finger.

e.porter

eyez all hazy...
ill o.g.
that is true... but if you just want an mpc to program drums you can buy something else for less than half the price and still have money left over. a lot of people have an mpc just b/c their favorite producer has one, just buy what you can afford/what you're confortable with. a hot beat is a hot beat regarless.

B.Hawk

THE PRIVATE
ill o.g.
The Timing Is Super Tight On The Mp, You'll Need That Even Using Keyboards. So Just Midi It All Up And U Got A Monster Set Up, I Started With Just The Asr And Then Added The Mp And The Motif And Now I Got A Monster Set Up Cause The Sequencer On The Asr Is Not All That Tight!!!!! In Other Words The Mp Is Hot

eXampuL_oNe

LOW-PRO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
kickinit said:
Is the money worth buying an MPC even though i hardly sample and want to use it strictly for drums?

That's something you should ask yourself... What do u use as of right now? IF your using software and starting to get the feel of it, stay with that! ALot of cats fuck up by switching to hardware and then realizing how much different the process is ( I like using both myself, dont have an mpc though)...

If your using all hardware then maybe you should buy an mpc... You have to understand that an MPC is very, very powerful, if you learn it well! If you just want something to bang out drums on get yourself an MPD 16 or if possible, a Trigger Finger... What I would advise you to do is, look up info on what your trying to use it for and don't waste your money on something your only gunna halfway use...

This is "Hip hop production in the new millenium." You no longer need something as expensive as an mpc just to make hot beats.... Not to down the mpc at all but it's true... Stick to what u know and what you know will definitly benefit you and help to create your own style... Then again, What do u have as of right now?

K

kickinit

eXampuL_oNe said:
That's something you should ask yourself... What do u use as of right now? IF your using software and starting to get the feel of it, stay with that! ALot of cats fuck up by switching to hardware and then realizing how much different the process is ( I like using both myself, dont have an mpc though)...

If your using all hardware then maybe you should buy an mpc... You have to understand that an MPC is very, very powerful, if you learn it well! If you just want something to bang out drums on get yourself an MPD 16 or if possible, a Trigger Finger... What I would advise you to do is, look up info on what your trying to use it for and don't waste your money on something your only gunna halfway use...

This is "Hip hop production in the new millenium." You no longer need something as expensive as an mpc just to make hot beats.... Not to down the mpc at all but it's true... Stick to what u know and what you know will definitly benefit you and help to create your own style... Then again, What do u have as of right now?

Im using cubase with sampletank2,battery,reason, and a midi controller.

Frictionbeats

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 51
There is no "swing" magic in any MPC. Timing-wise, there is no difference between the 2000 and 60/3000 other than the 60/3000 have twice the MIDI outs and hence, less likelyhood MIDI jams. All MPCs are solid 96ppqn MIDI sequencers (as tight as MIDI can be, which is not that much anyway) with a absolutely tight internal drum sequencer with zero delay between multiple simultaneous instruments. There is no particular groove magic going on in any MPC - the swing and note shift features are static, faultless and perform no more magic than their counterparts on any mid-eighties software sequencer. If you are looking for advanced shuffle and humanize functions, you'll have to switch off quantizing and play them by hand - or use a big software sequencer and suffer its sloppy MIDI timing.

PPQN (Pulses Per Quarter Note, sometimes Parts Per Quarter Note)

The timing resolution of a MIDI sequencer. PPQN indicates the number of divisions a quarter note has been split into, and directly relates to the ability of the sequencer to accurately represent fine rhythmic variations in a performance, or to recreate the "feel" of a performance. Older sequencers were capable of 96 PPQN (sometimes even less), which often resulted in a stiff "quantized" feel to the music (even if it hadn't actually been quantized). Current versions can reach 768 PPQN or even higher resolutions, which is more than adequate for most musical applications. Note that the resolution of the sequencer is especially important at slower tempos. If your sequencer is limited to a lower resolution, one trick is the double the tempo of the song, then perform the parts in half time. This effectively results in a doubling of resolution.

Check your PPQN a lot of them are higher these days., I believe you can even change it; like in Fruity Loops. I want an mpc for the sequencer, pads, sampling, & to be cool..LOL. But people swear by these things. but all in all I've heard real dope stuff come from a variety of sequencers... I'am actually going to buy the trigger finger for now, to use with my Triton & Reason, MY fingers are too fat and end up hitting extra keys and shit..LOL!!

Peace out! I just thought this was good info to post.

-Fricitonbeats

504MusicMan

ill o.g.
B.Hawk said:
The Timing Is Super Tight On The Mp, You'll Need That Even Using Keyboards. So Just Midi It All Up And U Got A Monster Set Up, I Started With Just The Asr And Then Added The Mp And The Motif And Now I Got A Monster Set Up Cause The Sequencer On The Asr Is Not All That Tight!!!!! In Other Words The Mp Is Hot

You know what's happenin wit dat MP!

My MP is the MIDI Production Center of my studio.

MPC2000XL Master , Cubase, Motif, Reason 3.0 are all its slave. lol

But for the record, there are alot of people that use the Sampler
on the MPC just as much as the sequencer.

The MPC popularity defintely orginated due to the whole idea
of sampling. The sequencer was secondary when it 1st drop.

Some producers don't mine looking at the lil LCD screen
and even feel the MPC engine give there samples a certain
sound that choppin on the computer in Recycle or Soundforge
just can't do.

(Me i do the latter, i got bad eye sight, i need my 19inch monitor
to do my sampling / chopping / looping)

There are alot of things though to consider when looking at purchasing a MPC.

If you looking for a Portable Drum Machine / Sequencer that can easily connect
to the computer via USB and has a modest price.

Yea, the MPC 1000 may be for u. But understand, when you cop it and you hear
about Kanye did this Joe Blow do that with they MPC 2000XL you will be suprise
to find out the MPC 1000 & MPC 2000XL are not the same machine except for
the fact they both manufc. by AKAI.

I suggest you do some homework and research all your options.

Including the 1 about coppin a M-Audio Trigger Finger.

You got alot of homework to do playboy! lol

http://www.dirtysouthbeatz.com
New Orleans #1 Fastest Growing Record Label Since U Know Who!

504MusicMan

ill o.g.
Frictionbeats said:
There is no "swing" magic in any MPC. Timing-wise, there is no difference between the 2000 and 60/3000 other than the 60/3000 have twice the MIDI outs and hence, less likelyhood MIDI jams. All MPCs are solid 96ppqn MIDI sequencers (as tight as MIDI can be, which is not that much anyway) with a absolutely tight internal drum sequencer with zero delay between multiple simultaneous instruments. There is no particular groove magic going on in any MPC - the swing and note shift features are static, faultless and perform no more magic than their counterparts on any mid-eighties software sequencer. If you are looking for advanced shuffle and humanize functions, you'll have to switch off quantizing and play them by hand - or use a big software sequencer and suffer its sloppy MIDI timing.

PPQN (Pulses Per Quarter Note, sometimes Parts Per Quarter Note)

The timing resolution of a MIDI sequencer. PPQN indicates the number of divisions a quarter note has been split into, and directly relates to the ability of the sequencer to accurately represent fine rhythmic variations in a performance, or to recreate the "feel" of a performance. Older sequencers were capable of 96 PPQN (sometimes even less), which often resulted in a stiff "quantized" feel to the music (even if it hadn't actually been quantized). Current versions can reach 768 PPQN or even higher resolutions, which is more than adequate for most musical applications. Note that the resolution of the sequencer is especially important at slower tempos. If your sequencer is limited to a lower resolution, one trick is the double the tempo of the song, then perform the parts in half time. This effectively results in a doubling of resolution.

Check your PPQN a lot of them are higher these days., I believe you can even change it; like in Fruity Loops. I want an mpc for the sequencer, pads, sampling, & to be cool..LOL. But people swear by these things. but all in all I've heard real dope stuff come from a variety of sequencers... I'am actually going to buy the trigger finger for now, to use with my Triton & Reason, MY fingers are too fat and end up hitting extra keys and shit..LOL!!

Peace out! I just thought this was good info to post.

-Fricitonbeats

The Magic Swing i use is turning off the Quantization / Timing Feature and program dem shitz on yo own.

But one thing i wanted to point out, I can definetly tell u with Reason 2.5 / below, you could not really achieve the "MPC Sound"

But now, with Reason 3.0 with all the Master Class effects its a close call.

The MPC beat machines have a "engine" (can't think of the exact term) in them that helps
process and color your drumz into what's none as the "MPC Sound"

Understand this "MPC Sound" that people talk about is unique to this machine due to the physical hardware that makes it up.

Just like the SP12000, some people use the Bit Crusher software on there WAV files and think they are getting a SP1200 sound by changing the bit rate. But its a lil more complex than that. It may sound similar, but it ain't going to be the same.

http://www.dirtysouthbeatz.com
New Orleans #1 Fastest Growing Record Label Since U Know Who!

WORDAMOUPH

NUPHONIX PRODUKTIONS
ill o.g.
IF you gon buy an mP u better make good use for it, theres no point of having that shit to just program drums

BluPHI!!!

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
But understand, when you cop it and you hear
about Kanye did this Joe Blow do that with they MPC 2000XL you will be suprise
to find out the MPC 1000 & MPC 2000XL are not the same machine except for
the fact they both manufc. by AKAI.

I suggest you do some homework and research all your options.

Except for time strecthing and the decreased amount of notes (From 300,000 to 100,000)

THE MPC 1000 HAS THE SAME OS AND CAPABILITIES THAT THHE 2000XL HAS.

POINT BLANK---GO TO AKAIPRO.COM IF YOUR IN DOUBT.

members online