mpc 4000 ... replace the stock hard drive ASAP!

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
funny shit ..... i bought my 4000 second hand like maybe 2 years ago or so... since day 1 the thing made a funnny whinig fan noise .. ... i assumed all 4000s made the same noise and that was just the way they were ... lately my hard drive has really been acting up and failing me at times ... i kept using it for awhile but it keept fucin up ... i emailed akai and they told me it that it prolly needed to be rplaced .. last weekend i ordered a seagate drive to replace the built in ibm drive .... i went to the repair shop and had the dude swap the drives ... i left had some lunch and came back ... the dude turned the thing on and .... i thought it was still fuced up cuz i couldnt hear the machine running ... then i looked closer and just realized that with the new hard drive the mpc was dead quiet! ... i said damn i thought all 4000 made a noise .. he said the hard drives they put in there stock are shit ... they work for maybe 2 years tops then will fuc up unexpectedly... i was happy cuz i dont have to turn the mpc off when im recording vocals anymore lol ...... long story short .... if u got a 4000 swap the stock drive with a SeaGate ST3802110A ..... and back up ur shit luckily i was able to transfer my shit to the computer before it totally went bad..

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
nice tip, im aiming for the black release this year. Would you know if the mpc4k is depended in performance when it comes to disk speed ? ( does the mpc use hd for memory buffer for its os, gui and processing ? )

The-Shadow

Ego Sum Vox Manus Deus
ill o.g.
Formant024 said:
nice tip, im aiming for the black release this year. Would you know if the mpc4k is depended in performance when it comes to disk speed ? ( does the mpc use hd for memory buffer for its os, gui and processing ? )

The unit's software runs off of ROMS and main memory, it doesn't require the HD as memory. It sure polls the drive a lot though, which usually leads to failure in the stock drive.

members online