MPC 2000 and ZIP Problem

Lo'Nye

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Hi

Here is the problem: my mpc 2000 doesn't recognize the zip drive anymore. I mean there's not even the "click-click" noise.
I've bought another scsi cable but there's nothing?
Has anyone ever met this problem? I'm about 2 buy another zip drive on ebay but could the problem come from my mpc???
And if the problem is from my mpc (i trully hope not!!!) is there a solution?

Thanx for ur help

One

Lo'Nye

Lo'Nye

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Actually I have my main zip drive which have scsi ID (5 and 6) on the back. I used 2 work with it. A friend gave a zip which hasn't the scsi ID on the back with an autoconnect cable but it still doesn't work.

One

Lo'Nye

O-H-TEN

aka Tha' NVZABLE DRAGON
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
I hate to say it; but it sounds like the fuse is blown on the scsi port of your mpc. It's a common problem and can only be corrected by Akai or an Akai service rep. The fuse has to be changed. If you don't even get that clicking noise, then the mpc is not even accessing the zip which could mean that the fuse is blown. I would take it in to your nearest akai dealer and have it checked out.
ONE

Lo'Nye

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
O-H-TEN said:
I hate to say it; but it sounds like the fuse is blown on the scsi port of your mpc. It's a common problem and can only be corrected by Akai or an Akai service rep. The fuse has to be changed. If you don't even get that clicking noise, then the mpc is not even accessing the zip which could mean that the fuse is blown. I would take it in to your nearest akai dealer and have it checked out.
ONE

Really...:(

Do you know how much it can cost 2 me?

One

Lo'Nye

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
Hey man,
I'm gonna try to help:
- is the load screen of the MPC showing the little picture of the zip drive, does it see it, does it know it's there?
That will help determine if it's the MP or the drive. If you can get another scsi drive (CDRom, Jaz, zip, anything) that may also let you figure out if it's a cheap fix or some huge pain in the ass. If a huge pain in the ass, I would fix it yourself or sell it to someone as a fixer upper.
My two,
EZ
Dahkter

Lo'Nye

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yes I ordered another drive, and if it still not work I will sell it. For sure it's so sad 2 me!!

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
stick an ide flash reader bay in there for 20 bucks and a flash card...scsi is cool, but recycle aint dumping nada. Flashstorage save you the scsi cable and the zip issues ( tick of death hehehe ).

Lo'Nye

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Formant024 said:
stick an ide flash reader bay in there for 20 bucks and a flash card...scsi is cool, but recycle aint dumping nada. Flashstorage save you the scsi cable and the zip issues ( tick of death hehehe ).

But where can I connect the IDE Flash on the MPC 2000??

One

Lo'Nye

O-H-TEN

aka Tha' NVZABLE DRAGON
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
Lo'Nye said:
Yes I ordered another drive, and if it still not work I will sell it. For sure it's so sad 2 me!!

Sell it and get what? Before you go through all that crazy ish; why don't you just take it in to see how much it will cost to get fixed? It may not be that much.
ONE

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Lo'Nye said:
But where can I connect the IDE Flash on the MPC 2000??

One

Lo'Nye

Open up the mpc, unmount the IDE ribbon, unscrew the disk/zip -drive, mount in the IDE FLASH reader and put the screws on, mount the IDE ribbon to the same slot you've unmounted the diskdrive from ( there's only one option ). Dont touch the PCB or touch the radiator from time to time to unload yourself from ESD ( this in case you dont happen to have a ESD wrist band at hand ).

It's a cake, really.

ed_sizzahanz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
What brand is the IDE flash and where did you cop it, cause I'm having major zip and floppy issues for saving info. My HD is gonna be full in a minute