motif 6 or triton or...

max90

ill o.g.
Ive had a motif 6 for about 2 months now, and i am not to satisfied with it. mostly the drum sounds, i find, are lacking. it also seems to be overly complicated.

if anyone has experience with multiple keyboards, please give me your input.

should i trade it in for a triton, something newer or what.

im just making hip hop tracks/instrumentals.

any feedback is appreciated.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
if ur not satisfied w/ the drums buy some drumkits.. or sample ur own drums .. drums is last thing i would look for in a keyboard man... good drums are really easy to find.. they got em all over ebay and the net.. try banginbeats or modernbeats or anywhere else

max90

ill o.g.
Holmzini said:
if ur not satisfied w/ the drums buy some drumkits.. or sample ur own drums .. drums is last thing i would look for in a keyboard man... good drums are really easy to find.. they got em all over ebay and the net.. try banginbeats or modernbeats or anywhere else

i do sample drums, but you can only go so far in my opinion (for single hits) and enjoy the backup of a keyboard.

ill check out your idea. any specific recommendations?

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
max90 said:
Ive had a motif 6 for about 2 months now, and i am not to satisfied with it. mostly the drum sounds, i find, are lacking. it also seems to be overly complicated.

if anyone has experience with multiple keyboards, please give me your input.

should i trade it in for a triton, something newer or what.

im just making hip hop tracks/instrumentals.

any feedback is appreciated.

Your crazy man, u have to be creative. I never use drums stright off my motif(ihave the rack)

What i do is sample the drums off the motif and EQ them to totally differnt sounds and kits. I also use vinyal too. Even though im a composer MOST of my drums are EQed off vinyal or EQ drum sounds off the motif

TO make a long story short ur being kinda lazy if ur just relying on drums sounds off the motif. Of course they are gonna get old. Any synth or rack u buy , the drum kits are gonna get old quick, becasue they are limitied.

Drums are one of the most important aspects of hip hop and u have to spend time on them.

So ur gonna by a totally new synth eveytime you get sick of the drums??? lol

Ur only limited by the time u put into them.

class..

max90

ill o.g.
classic said:
Your crazy man, u have to be creative. I never use drums stright off my motif(ihave the rack)

What i do is sample the drums off the motif and EQ them to totally differnt sounds and kits. I also use vinyal too. Even though im a composer MOST of my drums are EQed off vinyal or EQ drum sounds off the motif

TO make a long story short ur being kinda lazy if ur just relying on drums sounds off the motif. Of course they are gonna get old. Any synth or rack u buy , the drum kits are gonna get old quick, becasue they are limitied.

Drums are one of the most important aspects of hip hop and u have to spend time on them.

So ur gonna by a totally new synth eveytime you get sick of the drums??? lol

Ur only limited by the time u put into them.

class..

i completely understand. ive tried layering and all those things, but its still lacking for me.
i was just asking if other keyboards would have a better set of drums sounds is all.

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
max90 said:
i completely understand. ive tried layering and all those things, but its still lacking for me.
i was just asking if other keyboards would have a better set of drums sounds is all.

Nahh newphew dont take it the wrong way, i wasent getting salty with u.

I just want u to realise that the best drums (IMO) are the ones u find and tweak yourself. Even if there was a keyboard with dope drums(fantom X), u gotta think, everyone who has that keyboard will have those SAME exact drum.

I think if u cop some vinyal, record your drums and EQ, or make ur own drum sounds. U will find that there is an endless supply of orginal drum sounds.

U need some dope claps, get a mic and record some claps. U want a dope kick, put a chopped 808 behind a regular kick. U want big drums add alot of reverb....

It goes on and on.......

classs

max90

ill o.g.
classic said:
Nahh newphew dont take it the wrong way, i wasent getting salty with u.

I just want u to realise that the best drums (IMO) are the ones u find and tweak yourself. Even if there was a keyboard with dope drums(fantom X), u gotta think, everyone who has that keyboard will have those SAME exact drum.

I think if u cop some vinyal, record your drums and EQ, or make ur own drum sounds. U will find that there is an endless supply of orginal drum sounds.

U need some dope claps, get a mic and record some claps. U want a dope kick, put a chopped 808 behind a regular kick. U want big drums add alot of reverb....

It goes on and on.......

classs

nah, i didnt take it the wrong way at all. i also do layer my kicks with an 808. i guess im just trying to get snares with hard attacks and nice pillowy low end kicks with nice attack.

i just love how dj premeir drums sound.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
seriously, a keyboard wont get you anywhere near primos drums man. if you want to replace a GREAT synth like the motif because you need better drums, you will not find them on a keyboard. you really, honestly, need to do two things:

bangin beats/modern beats/onestopbeats/etc all have good kits, with one stop beats likely being the best bet for what you seem to want. take those, have your fun with them, but eventually you will tire of the preset sounds and want to tweak those as well. the motif sounds are very tweakable and excellent starting points, layering acoustic sounds over grimey hip hop sounds generally produces a great, thick, punchy sound to me.

but, seriously, if you are looking to keyboards soley to fulfill your drum needs, you are waaaaaaaay in the wrong department. thats like shopping for clothes at the local supermarket; they may have those cheesy little 5.99 christmas sweaters to buy for gramps, but they really aint got gear to rock for real. that analogy make any sense?

dont sell the motif short. you've got a VERY powerful piece to build around.

stormelements

Beats That Knock
ill o.g.
Cold Truth said:
but, seriously, if you are looking to keyboards soley to fulfill your drum needs, you are waaaaaaaay in the wrong department. thats like shopping for clothes at the local supermarket; they may have those cheesy little 5.99 christmas sweaters to buy for gramps, but they really aint got gear to rock for real. that analogy make any sense?

dont sell the motif short. you've got a VERY powerful piece to build around.

I agree, don't sell the motif short...use all of your resources, not just the drums on the keyboard.

Cleverwon

Paradigm P
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 74
If you think the motif is complicated, the triton will be too. The sounds on the motif are way better than the triton anyway, trust me I have both.

JP hardboiled

Find Your Fight
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 297
The Triton series has Ill drums on it Max...
Want to trade your Motif for my Triton? Jus playing... but if that's what your looking for the Triton is nice though the Motif, in my opinion, has a lot better sounds. Sampling and layering and tweaking drums will pretty much get you the desired result as the Illmuzik cats have been stating. That's what makes the Triton drums so nice. So use and abuse that sampler on the Motiff and Good luck!

The-Shadow

Ego Sum Vox Manus Deus
ill o.g.
max90 said:
nah, i didnt take it the wrong way at all. i also do layer my kicks with an 808. i guess im just trying to get snares with hard attacks and nice pillowy low end kicks with nice attack.

i just love how dj premeir drums sound.

The MOTIF is a synthesizer. You have to learn and master the synthesis capabilities of your unit to maximize your sound canvas. Learn how to work filters (A,D,C,R) and envelopes. It's not about having more sounds or the latest synth out there. It's about using what you have. As an example, I get dizzy spells when I walk into studios where people have half a billion synth keyboards floating around. It's obvious that they would rather spend money then learn to synthesize. I have a Roland Fantom-S88. How many keyboards have come out since...Nuff models have come out. But I learned how to work my Fantom like a champ and for every drum waveform in my synth, I can make at least eight unique sounding waveforms and combine those to make totally new drums. Synth programming is a necessary function, especially in hip-hop. It's not a quick process at first but eventually your expeditiousness will improve. Not learning these functions not only inhibits your arsenal of sounds and creativity, but it creates waste. To not program a synth is to totally waste it. I like to keep my setup simple yet powerful by learning every nook and cranny of my machines (Fantom and MPC4000) cause by doing that, I put them to good use.

I feel you on the complexity of the Motif though. I bought a MOTIF 8 then I opted for the 88-key Fantom-S because I have always used Roland products and their synth programming engines are very similar. If you know you put the best effort into learning the MOTIF and it's still not doing what you want, then sell it and move on to another unit. You won't get what you paid for it but at least you'll get something. But if you know that you didn't give enough effort to learn the MOTIF, do that first before selling it. You may surprise yourself in what sounds you are able to generate, drums or otherwise.

Peace and good luck.

30CRATES

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 22
As Far As Drum Sounds Are Concerned, U Just Have To Find A Unique Way To Tweak The Ones U Have To Work With. I Have A Proteus 2000, Which Has Decent Drum Kits. Depending On The Track And My Mood, I Might Use Raw Sounds Right Out The Module Without Resampling. I Mean, Hats, I Basically Use Straight From The Proteus. The Key Is To Stack Your Drum Sounds So They Sound Bigger. Its All About Experiementing!! Depending On The Beat, A Single Hit Might Be Sufficient! It All Depends. Dj Premier Is One Of My Fav Producers Of All Time, But, His Drums Sounds Are Very Basic. Especially On The Last Album!! He Basically Uses The Same Snare Sound On Alot Of His Joints. I Think J Dilla Has The Flyest Drum Sounds. Of Course Dre Has Dope Drums. Alchemist Has A Nice Lil' Clap He Uses ( Hold U Down) U Prob Just Need To Tweak Your Drums A Lil More.

bassic

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
yo its all about layerin man....i love south music so i use a TR808 alot BUT obviously i get limited there so i lace my shit wit other sounds like sometimes i'll get an 808 bass drum pitch it down (more Bass!!!) and then drop a linn type East drum on it 4 mids and highs cos lets face it 808 kicks have no his at all....as for hihat type percussion i layer my hats wit shakers alot....TRY that...its all about experimentin. Im gonna start samplin drums myself tho now cos i wanna try somethin else...u jus gotta b creative...after all MUSIC is ART

members online