Mixing Down the Kick drum

B

bastard_tom

I suppose this applies to all sequencers and not just FL. However, Im currently in the process of mixing down some of my tracks. I tend to let all my tracks be under DB, however I find myself having to drive the kick drum and let it peak etc. I know there are never any rules to music production, however do any of you beatmakers use a similar process? Please share your ideas if you feel like it....

Thanks in advance

misscc803

Miss C.C.
ill o.g.
Layer the drum and it should hit hard w/o havin to raise the volume and make it peak. Also make sure u pannin those other sounds but dats really on u. If dats what u doin then dont mind me.

E

Equality 7-2521

i would advise against letting something clip just so that it is as loud as you want it in the mix.

try compressing your kick drum. compressing twice lightly is better than once heavily.

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
Equality 7-2521 said:
i would advise against letting something clip just so that it is as loud as you want it in the mix.

try compressing your kick drum. compressing twice lightly is better than once heavily.

agreed.

Nothing should ever be clipping, use compression. Also, turn down ALL of your other faders slightly besides the kick drum until the kick drum sits in the mix how you like it without it clipping. I tend to do that a lot, pushing all of the other instruments up and leaving little room for the elements you want to stand out.

tricky spinz

Dead Man Walkin
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 12
yea, i have this same problem sometimes. i want the drums at a certain level, but then i always end up with clipping. and when i compress it loses the sound i like. so inevitably i have to just bring my drums down more than i want or make the entire mix quieter. but i hate doing that because i like having it at a normal volume.

Lazy Eyes

The Beat Konduktah
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
tricky spinz said:
yea, i have this same problem sometimes. i want the drums at a certain level, but then i always end up with clipping. and when i compress it loses the sound i like. so inevitably i have to just bring my drums down more than i want or make the entire mix quieter. but i hate doing that because i like having it at a normal volume.

Like when u have ur kick drum in ur beat, layered and all. Then duplicate ur whole kick drum. So u got two of the same in it.

Then compress one of em so it hits hard and the other u just lower the velocity ( and don't compress it so that it gives that natural element to your drum without sounding flat )

Also try and play with the attack on the compressor when u do drums it really can make em come to life..

Peace

sundayz

ill o.g.
You can get a good free vst from luxonix, www.luxonix.com, with a good compressor etc., usually, i lightly compress my kick, then put korg MDX(fx vst) software on it, that piece will do the limiting. No clipping here!

members online