Mistake Beats

PrOLifiK

Wax Fondling Since 420
ill o.g.
Yeah same here when I start making a track thinking im heading in one direction alot of times I end up doing something completely different

Hypnotist

Ear Manipulator
ill o.g.
Yea I think the mistakes can sometimes be our best asset while beatmaking.

I once had my SP-12 (not 1200; the original with the commodore 5 1/2" external drive!) hooked up via MIDI through my ASR-10 keyboard so I could use the pads on the SP-12 for the sounds on the ASR. So I had the ASR muted, and I was workin on using another drum line, to add SP-12 808's to the drums, but then I switched the ASR sound from drums to Rhodes, and turned it back up so I could play along with the drum line. The SP-12 was triggering some crazy ass sounds on the rhodes from the original drum pattern, and it sounded SICK. I was like "WHERE'S THIS SHIT COMIN FROM? WHO POSSESSED MY KEYBOARD?" (Back in 97 I wasn't as into procedures as I was just ready to hit a key or pad) But I made a sick ass beat that I sold the next day (also by mistake) for like $200.

And several times, it would happen where I would load the wrong patch on the same midi notes, and it would sound ridiculous and I'd use it, or layer it on top of the original sound.

Sometimes we have an outline in mind of what we want to start with, or what sounds we want to use, but when you open your beat later, fuck around with some different sounds and it can take you by surprise. Take your drum MIDI and select piano instead of drums and you may be surprised. 7/10 times it sounds dumb, but those other 3 times, you'll be like "Why didn't I think of that earlier?"

Killah Tekniq

ill o.g.
That happens to me all the time! My computer has a virus or something on it so everytime I plan a song on the computer it starts to sorta stutter every once in a while and it gives me an idea for a beat almost everytime. It seems like the computer just fits the right time to "loop".

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
Hypnotist said:
Yea I think the mistakes can sometimes be our best asset while beatmaking.

I once had my SP-12 (not 1200; the original with the commodore 5 1/2" external drive!) hooked up via MIDI through my ASR-10 keyboard so I could use the pads on the SP-12 for the sounds on the ASR. So I had the ASR muted, and I was workin on using another drum line, to add SP-12 808's to the drums, but then I switched the ASR sound from drums to Rhodes, and turned it back up so I could play along with the drum line. The SP-12 was triggering some crazy ass sounds on the rhodes from the original drum pattern, and it sounded SICK. I was like "WHERE'S THIS SHIT COMIN FROM? WHO POSSESSED MY KEYBOARD?" (Back in 97 I wasn't as into procedures as I was just ready to hit a key or pad) But I made a sick ass beat that I sold the next day (also by mistake) for like $200.

And several times, it would happen where I would load the wrong patch on the same midi notes, and it would sound ridiculous and I'd use it, or layer it on top of the original sound.

Sometimes we have an outline in mind of what we want to start with, or what sounds we want to use, but when you open your beat later, fuck around with some different sounds and it can take you by surprise. Take your drum MIDI and select piano instead of drums and you may be surprised. 7/10 times it sounds dumb, but those other 3 times, you'll be like "Why didn't I think of that earlier?"

yup thats basically what i was bout to say

hoodlike101

ill o.g.
that happens 2 me all the time...just recently i was makin a beat and i had a certain sample. i was in the piano roll(i use fl) and i accidently deleted somethin and i got heated as hell but it ended up soundin hot bcuz the part wher i deleted it made a certain pause that went wit da beat perfectly

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
happens to me every now and again. Last time I got pissed cuz i couldnt get the melody right so i just banged on the keys and it came out hot as fuck so i kept it

Papadukes

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
PrOLifiK said:
Yeah same here when I start making a track thinking im heading in one direction alot of times I end up doing something completely different

ha ha. yeah i knew them ones. happened to me yesterday when brother showed him how to use my programs to make beats and i endup making two different beats for myself.

Elementree

Musical Wizardry
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 8
Mistake Beats are ALWAYS the best beats. You cant REALLY get a good beat by forcing yourself to sit down and blow some killer shit. You have to stumble upon the melody, or accidently hit that offbeat that caught your ear. Thats what real beats are made of.
LOL!!

Holla Back
Cincinnatti, OH.

Nvisible

ill o.g.
it's crazy i'll be so certain on following a certain pattern with a beat but somehow i mess up on it like insert a different measure or somethin and BAM klazzik material...sometimez i feel like I have no actual talent but instead have a tremendous amount of dumb luck lol.........im outt