MIDI over USB latency

konceptG

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I remember talking to a cat some years ago about the M-Audio Oxygen controller (Skylab2000) and he told me that he has one, but didn't really use it much because it introduced more latency into his recording/performance rig. I had heard several people say the same thing since then. I need to get a mobile rig going, and I've been looking at an MPD16 and a little 25 key controller but don't want to run into that same issue.

Has this been resolved? I'm assuming that it was due to immature drivers, so I'm hoping there's nothing like that happening these days.

FWIW, I use the MIDI port on my SBLive for midi at the crib and have never used MIDI over USB. In fact, I've never used anything except internal MIDI interfaces for my PC's because they never had timing issues that parallel and serial interfaces had.

z0n3d0u7

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
USB, And the stock sound card [Im assuming.. Why else would you use usb?] is creating the latency.

Download the ASIO4ALL.com drivers, And hope for the best. I love my MPD16, And Midi key's, Both threw USB. It can always be fixed in piano roll. But a new soundcard, Or Midi interface will help tons.

MPD16 can has 1 midi out, As well as the USB out. However, you'll need a 9v power supply.

And.. SBlive card's are more geared toward gaming. Altho it's tons better then what i run, I'd go with something more geared towards recording [24/96, 0404.. ect.]

konceptG

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
z0n3d0u7 said:
USB, And the stock sound card [Im assuming.. Why else would you use usb?] is creating the latency.

Download the ASIO4ALL.com drivers, And hope for the best. I love my MPD16, And Midi key's, Both threw USB. It can always be fixed in piano roll. But a new soundcard, Or Midi interface will help tons.

MPD16 can has 1 midi out, As well as the USB out. However, you'll need a 9v power supply.

And.. SBlive card's are more geared toward gaming. Altho it's tons better then what i run, I'd go with something more geared towards recording [24/96, 0404.. ect.]

No. I'm not using a stock sound card, neither were the people who complained about it. These people had their rigs running with low latency (the majority of them were running audiophile's). They introduced a usb keyboard to the system and was hit with more latency.

I have two cards in my PC - Digidesign AMIII and SBLive. The Live is there for games and for it's MIDI port. The AMIII is strictly for audio, it works with ProTools and ASIO apps ONLY.

Oh, I do use the Live for recording DJ mixes, it seems that the AMIII's monitoring has a latency hit also and I can't monitor the inputs directly. The Live has no problem with that.

TachyonFresh

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Threadstarter, I quite didnt understand your problem.

I have an axiom 49 and a padkontrol, they are both hooked up via usb because I'm not sure how im supposed to fucking use my EMU 0404 soundcard, and both of them work perfect. I am using them with Ableton, and in the Ableton preferences it allows me to adjust the latency and it works very well.

Only thing I can say is that my computer has been turned into a damn cemetery after installing the M-Audio drivers. Machine_Check_Exception is all I keep getting.

konceptG

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
it's not really my issue. I have never trusted MIDI over USB because I kept hearing that it introduced additional latency to a lot of recording rigs. Granted, this was 2002-2003. I'm assuming that this isn't really anissue anymore, but I still want to check before I drop loot on a new USB board.

members online