MIDI Keyboard Recommendation

tricky spinz

Dead Man Walkin
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 12
aight, i've been workin with nothing but a mouse since i started which was like, 2 years ago or a little over. i really think it's time for me to get something new.

I'm just using my ibm thinkpad with Reson 2.5 and, as a college student, i've got a limited budget.

I've got a few questions like, do you guys find there's a big difference between using knobs and sliders? Like, the Oxygen 8 just has knobs. Would you recommend I get something with both knobs and sliders or do the knobs double up nicely?

As far as keys, i've been thinkin that at least 3 full octaves worth would be nice, but i'm not sure if i need it. maybe workin with 2 would be fine. what have you guys found in your experience?

oh, one more thing, where do you guys suggest i buy from? is there any specific site or store you find tends to have the best prices and service?

Thanks in advance.

J-ReZyN

Soul Slinger
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
I have the Radium 49. It wasn't my first choice but I got it for $50 bucks and it was only like 2 months old and never used so I took it. It's ok and works fine for what I'm doing. Other than some minor usb driver issues I haven't had any problems with it. It has sliders and knobs but i tend to use the knobs more and think they just work smoother, but thats just me. If it didn't have sliders I wouldn't miss them. I originally wanted something smaller with like only 2 or 3 octaves, but after using this for a while I'm glad I didn't get the smaller KB. Even with 4 octaves I still tend to shift up/down when going through patches to see how they sound. I would actually get a bigger KB next time. I notice in another thread that Stress just picked up a MAudio Oxygen 8 v2 which looks sweet. You should check with him to see how he's feeling it.
As for where to buy, I usually buy from zounds.com or musiciansfriend.com. I prefer zzounds because they usually have the best prices, deliver really fast and no tax (except in NJ...too bad). Good luck tricky and let me know what you end up buying.

Yo tricky, check ROD's post on the M-Audio Axiom 25. That shit looks really hot. It's got 8 drum pads.

TachyonFresh

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
thanks to some good posters on illmuzik, i have recently focused my attention on the M-Audio Axiom 49.....but im being really hesitatn cause i havent been able to find any user reviews or opinions on this joint.....but i think im still gonna buy one.......look into that man, shit got pads

Gene Flo

"Current Events" OUT NOW! www.TheVerbalImage.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
GRAFIK said:
MAudio Keystation 49e, if you are looking for something that is really easy to use, plug and play midi, love it, havent had a problem with it yet, very nice in my opinion

very true.......i have it and it is very reliable and will last you forever if u take care of it..... you dont need the big 88 keystation just switch the octave buttons on the 49

E

Equality 7-2521

if you can manage to get enough money for a Novation Remote SL, it will be the best money you ever spent on music equipment.

Doc Henny

ill o.g.
i have the m audio radium 61 key, which is nice and real affordable, and has both knobs and sliders (although i don't end up usin them too much).

However, the radium doesn't have weighted keys, and i would have to say that getting weighted keys on a midi controller really makes a huge difference. I think the new M-audio axiom has semi-weighted keys? but i'm not sure...

tricky spinz

Dead Man Walkin
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 12
yea, i was looking around and thinkin of going with the radium49 maybe, i looked at the Keystation 49e and that doens't have any knobs or sliders. and i'm definitely gonna want those.

yea, does anyone have any input on weighted vs unweighted keys? do you guys find there's a big difference?

*******EDIT*******

OK GUYS. HERE'S WHAT I'VE COME UP WITH.

basically, the differences between the Oxygen v2 and the Axiom are that the Axiom has 8 pads and semi-weighted keys, and costs $180 instead of $140.

those are basically the only differences that i would be using anyway. the axiom also has like, an extra jack for an expression petal and a MIDI In jack as well as a MIDI out but I wouldn't really be needing those.

So I mean, I guess it would probably make sense to just drop the extra $40 and get the drums pads and semi-weighted keys.

Although, my other option is to get the Radium49 which I can find for only $120. It's got 49 keys, knobs, sliders, and pitch and mod wheels. No pads, no function or transport buttons, and no semi weighted keys.

So, that's what I'm lookin at right now. What're you guys thinkin?

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
well the semi weighted keys are nicer but if your not used to them you wont miss them !?

the expression pedal is useful i use one but again its not something you need thats a personal preference, the drum pads would be dope as would the transport controls and the axiom is a lot newer and $40 aint a massive amount more.
ive got a radium 61 key at the moment and it does the job fine