Micheal Jackson died !?!?!

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
Dude I'm not trying to slight MJs talent in any way, I'm just saying, he's not the originator of any of this stuff, and to anyone who thinks the man who SIGNED AWAY his OWN CATALOG was the sole person in control of his career and image, you need to think again. MJ was not the man behind the curtain. That being said, though his music was never my cup of tea, he was obviously a talented person with a very devoted following.

I'm just saying, I think you guys are giving the guy a bit too much credit; he may have made grunts, dance moves and music videos as popular as they are today, but he by no means invented these things.

NO IDEA is original - Nas

everybody is influenced by someone so thats a pretty moot point. Things are rarely ever "invented" .. just modified or looked at in a new light. Just because someone is influenced by someone shouldn't take away their own accomplishments. I mean lets be fucking serious. We are hip hop producers. we flip samples, steal drums,etc. our work is 100% based on influence. Who r we to even discuss stuff like this. Michael was way more original than ANY of us. He was one of one. His music is incredibly distinctive and unique both musically and imagewise. Perhaps more so than any other mainstream artist to have ever graced the planet.

MagnaOpera

Comes Equipped...
ill o.g.
NO IDEA is original - Nas

everybody is influenced by someone so thats a pretty moot point. Things are rarely ever "invented" .. just modified or looked at in a new light. Just because someone is influenced by someone shouldn't take away their own accomplishments. I mean lets be fucking serious. We are hip hop producers. we flip samples, steal drums,etc. our work is 100% based on influence. Who r we to even discuss stuff like this. Michael was way more original than ANY of us. He was one of one. His music is incredibly distinctive and unique both musically and imagewise. Perhaps more so than any other mainstream artist to have ever graced the planet.
Dude you are totally on point and I agree with you one hundred percent except for the last sentence... The bolded bit makes me want to smash my mpk over my head.

Dude you are totally on point and I agree with you one hundred percent except for the last sentence... The bolded bit makes me want to smash my mpk over my head.

Buts its true, he took everything he'd learned and took it to a level no artist ever has.
No one, and I mean no one has ever sold out stadiums like him. Thats a fact, it cannot be denied.
Selling out 50 O2 appearances in hours, it must be a fucking record. Even in these credit crunch times.

The reason MJ was hounded by the media is because his single voice of positive change in the world can be a very powerful thing if you are a powerful corporation trying to keep the status quo(not the band) in the world.
Why do you think Lennon was shot?
He started trying to change the world for the better. His one voice held a lot of weight with thousands of fans.
Now the same people that destroyed MJ , are reaping the profits from his death, like they used him as a cash cow in life. Acting like they didnt destroy him in the first place, that what makes me wanna dive headfirst into the speaker.

Sincock

Fucking Wankers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 8
Mike studied JB to tha TEE!!! [...] i'll never 4get JB's influence... but MIKE took it all to tha next level, thx to the music vid... sorta like Jordan studying Dr. J.

da relic

Um no, MJ was not Jordan to JB's DR. J. James Brown was music's GOD compared to everybody else.

mike was a much better singer than james brown. he was the complete package. not to take anything away from JB, but michael was a more versatile and complete artist. James Brown couldnt do smooth at all.

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha, you are fucking hilarious.

Seriously, your opinion is no longer valid after typing that.

Guys, I know you're all upset about Michael but, please leave JB alone; he invented this shit and y'all know it. Should be on your knees everyday thanking God for blessing us with the gift of JB.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
^^^^ thats easy to say but hard to backup ... michael was one of the best singers alive period. flawless 3 octave range. Marvin Gaye and a only a few others I can think of can do that. male or female. I cant remember JB ever going out of this main range. Im not taking anything away from JB at all, thats my dude. I got all his shit im not starting a pissing match. Im just sayin that technically michael was a better singer. way better in fact. the dancing is debatable. JBs music always had a rough edge to it, he couldnt go into marvin gaye type territory and thats a fact. but michael could. im sayin u can debate styles and what not all day and not come to a conclusion, but from a technical standpoint theres no way u can say jb was a better singer than michael.

Like I think bruce springsteen cant sing worth a shit, but that doesnt keep him from being a great artist.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
^ cosign...

But yes...JB is the originator......

MagnaOpera

Comes Equipped...
ill o.g.
imo technicality has nothing to do with it. Autotuned tracks are, from a technical standpoint, better (technically) than any singer alive could muster (other than maybe MJ as you say). Does that mean they are better for music or advancing their respective genre? HELL NO.

(not trying to argue, just throwing in my 2c)

Sincock

Fucking Wankers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 8
Seriously, I'm not having a go at MJ but how good a singer someone is goes beyond how good their range is; if that was so important then Mariah Carey would be one of the greatest singers of modern times.

JB was pretty versatile but always did it his own way. He didn't water his music down to appeal to the masses; that's a good thing.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
imo technicality has nothing to do with it. Autotuned tracks are, from a technical standpoint, better (technically) than any singer alive could muster (other than maybe MJ as you say). Does that mean they are better for music or advancing their respective genre? HELL NO.

(not trying to argue, just throwing in my 2c)

easily the dumbest and most irrelavent comment in the thread.

and yes mariah carey is one the best female vocalists of our generation. her voice isnt the same as what it used to be . but songs like "emotions" and "hero" ?? she fucking tore the house down. Voices can deteriorate over time due to any number of factors and hers did. In her prime she was hands down one of the best. Look at Chaka Khan. Her voice is a fraction of what it used to be. But in her prime she was killin it, as was mariah.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
What about Barbra Streisand? That bitch could sing...

But technically speaking..autotuned vocals have electronically manipulated pitch... Even then no one could have that kind of a range without sounding like shit....

MagnaOpera

Comes Equipped...
ill o.g.
^ yeah but TECHNICALLY autotuned vocals are better than any human could ever produce, does that mean they sound good? no.

So I take it you agree with me?
easily the dumbest and most irrelavent comment in the thread.
LOL yeah you really backed up your argument on that one.

From my POV I just slapped the shit out of your only point, which would have probably remained valid had you poked what you seem to feel is an obvious hole in my argument.

I'm sorry that my radical ideas oppose your own on such a level that they cause you to shut down completely and leave you unable to continue to argue your point in a logical and personable manner.

If you can't handle other peoples opinions perhaps you should just refrain from ever expressing your own... Newsflash: you might not be mature enough to enter into verbal or literary discourse with other adults if this is your knee-jerk reaction to opposing opinions.

What a joke this thread is..

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
^ yeah but TECHNICALLY autotuned vocals are better than any human could ever produce, does that mean they sound good? no.

So I take it you agree with me?
LOL yeah you really backed up your argument on that one.

From my POV I just slapped the shit out of your only point, which would have probably remained valid had you poked what you seem to feel is an obvious hole in my argument.

I'm sorry that my radical ideas oppose your own on such a level that they cause you to shut down completely and leave you unable to continue to argue your point in a logical and personable manner.

If you can't handle other peoples opinions perhaps you should just refrain from ever expressing your own... Newsflash: you might not be mature enough to enter into verbal or literary discourse with other adults if this is your knee-jerk reaction to opposing opinions.

What a joke this thread is..

what a joke ur dumb ass comments are. this thread doesnt have anyhing to do with autotune. we are talking about natural singing here and any personal that was not retarded culd have figured that out. i didn't poke at the obvious hole in ur comment because its just that. OBVIOUS and stupid. and not worth mine or anyone else s time. If u sang stranger in moscow into an autotune i guarantte it would be far far away from techinically perfect and would prooly sound like some 808 and heartbreak bullshit. None of the great singers need autotune and in fact it makes a great singer sound worse. (see current mary j blige single for example) Regardless i was talking about range not pitch and tone. 1st off autotune doesnt do anything to your range or tone genius. Autotune aint gona turn Johnny Cash into Mariah. 2ndly Autotune imparts its own "sound" into the voice outside of just pitch correction. So an autotuned track is not a true representation of a perfectly pitched singer. So no, an autotuned track is not technically perfect. Thats just nonsense to say it is. Im sorry T-pain tracks dont sound anywhere near technical perfection to me. Do the worlds best Opera singers sound like robots from the planet Kronos? NO. Autotune can make a OK singer sound passable, or fix a few parts where a good singer may drift off pitch. Outside of that its pretty much an effect designed to make ur voice sound unnatural and robotic.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
you might not be mature enough to enter into verbal or literary discourse with other adults if this is your knee-jerk reaction to opposing opinions.

ha this coming from a guy that looks like a vanilla ice Stan in his avatar

members online