Memphis (Horrorcore?) Beat

OGBama

Big Clit Energy

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Better @Iron Keys was what I was going for and it’s Grand Piano, beat is 135 BPM 4/4 time sig, B major key.

All I know I’m feeling groovy since I quit procrastinating as it ain’t good for my soul.

Last edited:

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
I @Iron Keys don’t know music theory but I’m a sucka for groove. It may be the speed I was playing at when I recorded it, I did several takes and when I finally did the last that I felt sounded good to my ears I ran with it.

Dusty B

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 37
The hat and clap pattern is catchy. I don't mind the swing in the piano, but I think having such a difference in the drum/piano rhythm would make it tough for a vocalist, so I think drilling down to one main rhythm may help it flow better.

I also think it needs better quality sounds in general, or a mixdown, as everything sounds dry and flat.

Not sure if that's helpful but sharing thoughts that came to mind while listening.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
I @Dusty B like my rhythms catchy period. Should I make my main rhythm piano only or strings only? Everything’s dry and flat ‘cause there are no effects on any of my sounds.

The piano is in a different time signature, sounds like 3/4 to me. Creating a syncopated polyrhythm. I sometimes do this on purpose.

Definitely an improvement. Try making longer beats, try thinking about progression, building things up gradually, and adding some fx like reverb and delay.

I @Dusty B like my rhythms catchy period. Should I make my main rhythm piano only or strings only? Everything’s dry and flat ‘cause there are no effects on any of my sounds.
Dont make your melodies using just one instrument, try to use two instruments. A main melody and a counter melody, that when combined sound much more interesting to the ears. You can then pan these opposing each other, so they interplay with each other and is so much more interesting.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
The @2GooD Productions whole beat is in 4/4 and I got a thang for polyrhythms. Re: longer beat this one is 32 bars but I’ll trying panning the melodies opposing each other and the fx you stated.

The @2GooD Productions whole beat is in 4/4 and I got a thang for polyrhythms. Re: longer beat this one is 32 bars but I’ll trying panning the melodies opposing each other and the fx you stated.
Except for saturation, clippimg and compression I use reverb and delay on practically every beat. The right reverb can make drums sound much more realistic as well as other instruments. Cut below 500hz on the reverb channel to prevent muddiness. Also, dial in the reverb to where it sounds good, then dial it back a little. Less is more with reverb. Delay is a great effect for filling empty space.

Your beat is 4/4 but the grand piano is 3/4 over the top of it. Look how it doesnt line up with the other instruments.

Last edited:

Dusty B

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 37
I believe in two things when it comes to beatmaking:
-there are no rules
-perfection is the enemy of progress

I think what you should do is take what you learned making this one, launch your DAW, go to your favorite drum kit, load whatever sound or plugin you want to work with, and make another beat.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
Should I make my main rhythm piano only or strings only?
Use different sounds

You will make different melodies when you use different sounds. The melody I'll play with a piano vs what I'll play with a boopdedoop delay drenched synth is going to be rather different.

Same for starting sometimes with melody or starting somethings with drums, or maybe starting something with a pad or chord.

What you choose can change everything.

members online