MBOX or DIGI 001 or DIGI 002

• beat this! voting starts in...

MadScientist

Geniuz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
I was wondering how the MBOX stacks up against the DIGI 001 or 002. I know that the MBOX doesn't have MIDI ... but what I want to know is how the sound quality compares.

Attachments

• yuo.jpg
    yuo.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 214

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
Madscientist:

They key reason why Digidesign brought forth the MBOX is to cut into the semi-pro studio market with a more affordable solution to the Digi002 and higher end ProTools models. This is to make headway into an attack on the other sequencers which have been cutting into ProTools' market share over the years. It is also a way for Digidesign to position themselves in such a market should Apple make Logic a greater competitor to ProTools in the digital audio recording market.

Anyway, to answer your question, I think the converters on the MBOX are decent, and should do the trick. However, I don't know the analytical data yet on the convertors used, which is also key when deciding a system like this.

MBOX: 24bit/ 44.1, 48kHz sampling rate
Digi002: 24bit/96kHz sampling rate

If you're looking at sound quality, the bit depth is more important than the sampling rate, which I can argue is a moot point once you start recording at 48kHz. The Digi002 will use up more computer resources than the MBOX, but the 002 contains more power regarding the support of FX, processing, etc.

Sonically, I think the argument is moot. It's more about what you want from your card in power, and how much money you have.

Sincerely,
God

Waynyce

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Don't know how the sound quality compares but I hear that the Digi 001 has been discontinued because the PCI card won't work with the MAC G5. I liked the soud of the DIGI 001 and the 002 , never heard the MBOX. I think the sound depends more on your other equipment like mics and processors etc..

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
In reality, the Digi001 was discontinued because Digidesign wanted to introduce the MBOX. The Digi001 would have competed for the same consumer that the MBOX would have been marketed to. Thus, Digidesign put faders and a hardware user interface built around what is essentially a Digi001 card, called it the Digi002, and almost doubled the price from what the Digi001 used to cost, in order to market to a different consumer base than the MBOX. This opened up a new market for a product that is cheaper for Digidesign to produce, the MBOX, and create a higher profit margin.

Madscientist:

I have not seen any analytical data regarding the converters for the MBOX or the Digi002. I know somebody who did switch his converters in the Digi002 to Swissonics converters because he wanted better converters, and Swissonics offered a value solution for him to switch. I also do not know who Digidesign subcontracts to for the lower end converters, and where they come from, if they are subcontracted at all. Since I have not seen data, and am not quick to make decisions based on people's opinion on the way a system "sounds," I think it prudent to simply state that I can not offer you a definitive opinion on these products.

Perhaps a greater inquiry on your part from dealers and other sources via internet or stores, may be far more fruitful.

Sincerely,
God

J.VAZQUEZ

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
The DIGI002 has it all ,besides if you buy the M-BOX /DIGI001
you need a Mackie board .ITS DA SAME FUCKIN' MONEY!!
(and with no surface control)

fame_keyz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i would get a digi 001 or digi 002 rack before i get the just plain old digi 002 just for the fact if you got a mackie controler (true its the same old money) you can use it will other programs in the future. The digi 002 will only work as a mixer with pro tools. I have a mackie mixer for my computer and it works with pro tools and it also works with nuendo or what ever else i might want to use....(the digi 002 is just another way digidesign keeps you a slave to there product) if you are cool with that then its no big deal but i dont know what the future will hold for me and i want to have options.....

MadScientist

Geniuz
ill o.g.
All I would need the MBOX for, is to track up ONE instrument at a time so I could bring the beat multitracked to a professional studio in a ProTools session ...... so I don't have to spend $75/hour ...... I don't need it for mixing, FX, etc .... you get the point. The question is about the quality of the converters .... I don't need a mackie mixing board ....I don't need a digital mixer either ..... All I want to know is if the converters are different on the 001 or 002 when compared to the MBOX ...... Would I lose sound quality if I choose to use the MBOX over the 002 ? .... or is the 002 the samething just with more In's and Out's, MIDI and faders .... if so, I don't need to spend a extra $1,000 just for that ..... thats stupid .... Its like when people spend $2000 on a Triton Keyboard .... I think thats dumb.... if all your using it for is studio work then buy a MIDI controller and the Triton rack .... makes sense and you save money ..... you get the same sounds with the same quality ....... you really dont need the keys if you have MIDI controller.

J.VAZQUEZ

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
YYYYEEEESS!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU WILL lose sound and also 12 tracks(unless you get your hands inthe new PRO TOOLS version).

MadScientist

Geniuz
ill o.g.
????????

Originally posted by J.VAZQUEZ
YYYYEEEESS!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU WILL lose sound and also 12 tracks(unless you get your hands inthe new PRO TOOLS version).

When you say I will lose sound what in the hell does that mean? Do you mean sound quality????? If your just talking about the number of tracks I would get version 6.1 which has 32 tracks of audio .....thats all I need ...I really don't even need that ..... all I need is 24 ....... I'm not asking about the comparison from Protools HD to the MBOX in quality ..... I'm just going to email Digidesign and ask them because I don't think anyone on this site understands what I'm asking .... Or if you do .... you just don't know the answer ....... I'll go to the professionals.

fame_keyz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Originally posted by J.VAZQUEZ
You could use the DIGI002 in STANDALONE mode and you have an digital mixer with FX& automation

but lets say you wanted to use your digi 002 with cubase or nuendo like i do sometimes. You wont be able to use the the faders on it. trust me if youd dont think im right go to the digidesign web page and find out.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Mad scientist....there are people that understand what you are saying, I think you answered your own question, the actual data sheets and schematics will probably give you the answer, the chipsets that do the audio processing will be the key....you need to find out if 1. the people at the plant that makes them just grabs the same chips out of the stock and no matter which board they are making they get all of the same components...but you might be right anyhow to ask them...I don't know where the data sheets are that would tell you that.....

members online