Interviews Matt Irie Interview

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Based out of Greensboro and fresh off his debut album "Coastal Dreaming", Matt Irie is scheduled to tour the east coast throughout the spring and summer of 2012, as a member of the full band, Tower 15, including guitar guru, Tim Fogarty. Tower 15 will be playing a style of music called Surf Roots. With many shows under their belt with some of the top hip hop and reggae talent both locally and nationally, this is one act not to miss out on when they come into town.

mattirie1.jpg

Can you introduce yourself?

Matt Irie from Greensboro NC. Thanks much for the interview man. Always good to link with awesome people.

Where in the Carolinas are you located?

Right now I am in Greensboro, NC.

How would you describe your style?

Describing this style is taking everything good in life, throw in some spiritual vibes, mix that with some ocean water and pour a drink.

Who or what would you say are your main influences?

Life in general, so much comes with this crazy place we call home. It helps you become who you are in the long run. Aside from that my amazing girlfriend, family and friends. They have been there from the start and I will continue to make everyone proud.

What was your first song that you dropped?

Ah man this one is a tough one haha. I believe it was a track entitled "Don't Wanna Go Home" which has seen many versions, yet this last one has really stuck.

How many songs do you have completed?

Another tough one, I would have to say well over a few albums worth at the least. Inspiration strikes and I write no matter where I am.

What is your favorite group?

Might be a one answer question but I have so many different artists I have been jamming to, it's hard to name just one. In a quick rundown I would say Sun Dried Vibes, Redemption, Kosha Dillz, Mtts, Trevor Hall, Treehouse, The Movement, Dr.Dog, Eels and more - always hard to pinpoint one band ha.

Who would you like to work with?

I would have to say Trevor Hall on that note. I have worked with some really awesome people since I came into this field. I feel it would be a good match. Both having very spiritual beliefs and a positive outlook on life, I would imagine nothing less than awesome would come of that combo.

mattirie2.jpg

What was your greatest accomplishment?

Being able to perform and write music is the answer for that one. Having people tell you that a song you wrote helped them out or that they enjoyed a show. That right there makes it all worth it to me personally. Though I have managed to play a lot of the bigger venues with some of the coolest people in the world. For all of that I am thankful.

What do you like to do when you're not recording?

Write, enjoy time with the lady, friends and of course family. I mention them a lot because they stand by my side when I have been down and out, and for that I always make sure they are recognized for all the support they have and continue to do. Movies are a big weakness as well, a nice bottle of wine is always great as well, do some reading and I am all set.

What do you think about the current state of Hip Hop?

I believe "Hip Hop" in general has some people holding it down on the indie front. I find myself listening to more local artists to be honest. It's hard to put everyone I listen to in a few words cause I have seen so many new artists who I feel carry the torch of that hip hop sound I loved from the 90's. To give credit, a lot of the hip hop artists I have been enjoying come straight out of NC, a feeling of unity comes to mind when I see how it is growing.

Will you be touring in the future?

It is looking very bright for touring this spring/summer and following. Starting out with the Southeast region to get the name out. This new project will be going by the name "Tower 15" with myself (Matt Irie, Tim Fogarty, Jess Paul) who sits in with us as much as possible, and we are looking to build up the roster in time to hit the road.

Any Shout outs?

Ty Bru for setting this up and really pushing me the past few years to follow my dreams. You for taking the time to hear my story, my girlfriend Heather for being so supportive of me since we met, you are awesome for that and all you do. My family for being amazing, One Above, Tim and Jess for believing in this music we are doing. All my friends for putting up with me haha. Dennis and Megan Stone who help out a lot. Sun Dried Vibes for putting together one of the best showcases (Wintersplash / Bob Marley Celebration at The Chop Shop Feb 18th) of Reggae / Rock in the southeast region. Tenacious, Medic, J'Bryant, Jaton, PaxX, Will Zay, D'Will Ty Shoff and all of MTTS! Everyone I meet in general has some sort of awesome impact on my life and music. Thank you again for the interview and look to see you at the show! BIG UPS to all of you once again.

members online