Mass - Long Term Music Back Ups ?

MGTheFuture

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Sup Guys -

As i get more and more into production, i find my files sizes getting bigger.
Like i cant even fit a whole month worth of beats and backup files on one CD-R anymore.
So I was thinking about going to DVD - however, the DVD-Rs I bought (for my dads burner) dont work for mine....so once i finally get the proper kind imma use this. But i noticed a disclaimer that said not all DVD readers can read this kind of DVD data. Thats not a concern for me now..but what about 5, 10, 20 years from now ? When DVD-R 4x is outdated..and windows XP is long gone. What should I do ?

Im looking for a better long term and REALIABLE solution. My CD-RS of programs are already slowing down / skippin / corrupt data messages on me..especially zips.

What would you do ?

My primary option currently is MINI DISK. I wanna buy the stereo size recorders...and use the Fiber Optic Cable To Stream The Beats.

Outside of that...any other suggestions ? Especially for storing the actual creation files.

ETC

- D

DJ Hoppa

Broken Complex Records
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 50
External Hard Drive.

I JUST copped a 160 GB USB 2.0 drive. it kicks major ass.

E

Equality 7-2521

word hoppa im getting the same in about 1 hour from now. what brand did you go with?

im getting: western digital 160gb with 8 mg cache and a shintaro 3.5" usb alluminium case.

on a side note, blue ray dvd is in the makings. they can fit rediculous amounts. but then youd need a blue ray disk drive.

MGTheFuture

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Equality 7-2521 said:
word hoppa im getting the same in about 1 hour from now. what brand did you go with?

im getting: western digital 160gb with 8 mg cache and a shintaro 3.5" usb alluminium case.

on a side note, blue ray dvd is in the makings. they can fit rediculous amounts. but then youd need a blue ray disk drive.

Well when Blue Ray Drops - Im all over it...definetely.

I decided just to get an extra 160 internal drive...dedicated JUST to beats.

my Current 30 = Program/Windows

And My Current 160 - Music And FIle Downloads.

CD-Rs - Audio CDs, Program Backups, Drum Kit Back Ups / Sample Backups

DVDs - Mass Video and Music Backup.

Mini - Disk - Dependable Music Back up

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
wait yall hardrives are not stable

I see alot of cats sayin they rely on harddrives espically external ones for their backup

While external harddrives are cool for secondary backup
you DO NOT want to rely on them as your primary source of back up. Hardrives, espically external ones are notorious for becoming korroupt and crashing. The only hardrive setup that is truly safe is RAID 5 configuration and i doubt any of us have the cheese for that. You guys have to realise that harddrives degrade over time(they are magnetic). The avrage hard drive is made for a 4 year life span. Extranals are a little less

A good plan is to have a 2 stage back up. Throw stuff on your external hadrive daily and then back up to DVD every 2 weeks

Basically u still need to back up your stuff on a stable medium like DVD"sor CD's. Harddrives are not safe for your data. Also DVD's allow to catloge your backups etc so u can trace your data to a specfic point. Also every 3 months i will copy my back up DVD's and mail them to my mother in florida, just incase anything happens to my house here.
*i have lots of video i have collected over the years that is pricless *

DVD's are the way to go, If u need help on specs of choosing a burner get at me. But EVERYONE please back up to a stable medium.

As far as DVD's going out, i doubt that will happen soon, and if it does its not a big deal at all. Since its all just digital info you can just tranfer your backup files to a new medium. I tranfered all my CD-R back ups to DVD in 3 hours. (and i had alot). Plus even with all the new DVD stuff coming out, they will be backwards compatible with the orginal format.

class...

class....

E

Equality 7-2521

i agree with classic ^^^ when he said:

"A good plan is to have a 2 stage back up. Throw stuff on your external hadrive daily and then back up to DVD every 2 weeks."

this is very good advice, as is his advice to have your back up situated at more than one location.

one thing i question though is reliability issue u raised, classic. hard drives have been known to crash etc but if you are only using your external hard drive for backup, it wont be running for anywhere near as much time as a normal hard drive in your computer. so that fact about HDDs being made to last 4 years is not relevent if you are just turning on your external HDD to copy your files and then you turn it back off again. i agree its worth backing up to both HDD and DVD though.

heres some helpful links for everyone...

http://cc.uoregon.edu/cnews/winter2004/hdrives.html
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,827981,00.asp

im happy with the choice i made. i think if your going to get an external HDD, get a western digital. they have maintained their 3 year warranty which shows their are confident in their products.

classic

ill o.g.
Nahh dont get me wrong Equalitity your external HD is fine.for a secondary backup I just dont want u to realy on that for your primary source of backup. U should throw it on DVD every month atleast

ALl hardrives degrade over time becasue of there magneitic properties. External hardrives a lil higher failure rate becasue thier properties.
As u already know HD's work l alot like recordplayers. (with a disk and a reader) well since external harddrives are moved around more and are independent . The needle and disk are more likely to fail becasue of unstablilitiy. THere are also some other key issues with the Read write proerties that i will look up for you once i get to work.

The main point i want everyone to realise that no harddrive is stable(external or internal) so the only way to be safe is to throw stuff on a stable medium like CD' DVD or tape(which degrades)

Here is how i do it.

Here is my backup layers

1.My primay computer has 2 hardrive fail safe system
2.My server(works as secondary backup i write to this every 2 days with new info
3.DVD back up this is done every couple of weeks depending on the amound of new info
4. site change- i mail copies of DVD's to other locations

clas...

FYI the reason why im so adament about back up is becasue im a software engieer. Part of my job is to maintain the RAID backup system for our HP database servers. Its sad when u see expensive harddrives failing all the time. It makes u paranoid.

E

Equality 7-2521

yeah man i definitly agree and i will backup to both external and dvd for sure.

when you say all hard drives degrade over time because of magnetic properties, is this applicable if they are just sitting there not being used or only if they are turned on and running? i thought the latter.

i assumed (and understood from reading several articles) that heat was the main factor contributing to hard drive failure and that this would not be an issue if the hard drive was only turned on for short periods of time to copy files. also mentioned was the importance of a decent fan system to keep the drive cool.

is the magnetic thing your talking about is a completely seperate issue, fill me in.

also i noticed you said external hard drives generally dont last as long as normal internal hard drives. im assuming this is not applicable if you buy a normal internal hard drive + an external case and fit the drive to the case yourself. correct?

i agree about the portability thing. externals will inevitably get knocked around more than an internal. im going to pay extra attention to making sure my external doesnt suffer any jolts.

give more info on server based back up please.

classic

ill o.g.
Check it

Here is a qucik and dry explantion of why harddrives fail, The bottom paragraph breifly explains what i ment by the magnetic properties

http://www.data-master.com/why-harddrives-fail-Q11.htm

Basically since hardrives are magenetic they will always degrate becasue over time they loose their magnatism. THe only way to protect against this is to set up multipul harddrives in a RAID configuration there are differnt levels of RAID which are 1-5
5 has the redudancy but is expensive as hell.

As far as my server back up. I have 3 computers. My desktop, my server and my laptop.
My server is just an old pentium box that is running windows 2000 server OS. I have all these computer networked in my house. Now when i back stuff up i will tranfer the files from my harddrive on my main desktop computer to my server. Since everything is on my lan its just a simple matter of dragging and dropping the files.
I do this for 2 reasons

1. Its another qucik and easy way to add another failsafe layer to your backup.
2. I have secure shell enabled on my server so i can connect to it from anycomputer in the world and access my files when i need them.

class....

NOTE i will get you the info on external failture rates, im going to ask my hardware guy at work.

E

Equality 7-2521

nice info class.

question: is secure shell secure? like noone from the other side of the world could possibly access your files from their computer?

Anubis-Ra

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
shit, in a few years, blu ray discs may become standard. i don't know. I thought about getting an external harddrive and another desktop computer, cause the laptop I'm on now only came with 80 GB.

classic

ill o.g.
Equality 7-2521 said:
nice info class.

question: is secure shell secure? like noone from the other side of the world could possibly access your files from their computer?

Yes secure shell or SSH is just a encrypted version of telent(FTP). the software is free you can check it at www.ssh.com. It allows for easy file tranfer(just like FTP) Another good encpyted file protocol is sftp which is just a direct decendent of FTP. Both do the same thing its just a matter of prefernce. I like shell casue im used to it.

Ohh an yes nobody else can acesss my computer i have pretty detailed secruity mesures.
I have 4 layers of sercuity in order to get onto my actual PC from an outside connection

1. Password set on my router
2. Paswword set on my server
3. Passwrod set to have rw(read write) or download access.
4. My DCHP server renews the IP every couple of days so even if somebody did hack the IP would only be vaild for a day or too

You have to go threw these 4 steps to get into my system. NO system is hack proof, but this is pretty tought to hack(ive had some of my friends try)

class......

MGTheFuture

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
^^ Thanks alot - thats what i needed to know.

Ill use DVDs - and the New Blue Ones for now.

Hopefully they dont change format in 5 years...like laser discs.lol