Manifesto Hip Hop Festival

Low G

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
For the first time ever Toronto came together for a 4 day celebration of it's hip hop culture. Yesterday (Sunday Sept. 23) in the heart of downtown, multiculturalism was the word of the day as the sound of hip hop music echoed off the skyscrapers into the city. B Boys were forming circles, there were walls set up for grafiti artists to do their thing, DJ's were cutting records like no tomorrow, people crowded around various freestyle circles that had formed while beatboxers held the rythem. There was such a posative vibe about the day I was really happy to have been a part of it. I found it to be a great networking outlet as well and came home with not a single one of my beat cd's left. At the end of the evening some of our top talent from the past to present took the stage and stood in unity as they each took turns dropping verses for the crowd. Then to end it all off everyone headed to the afterparty where DJ Premier was on the ones and twos.

What this event has shown me is there is still and allways will be love for the hip hop way of life... at least in this city. It might be known as the Screwface Capitol with the greatest number of haters per capita but this festival is a great first step to ending this trend and just what hip hop in this city needed. So if you are from Toronto and missed it this time I'm sure next years festival will be even bigger and better.

Peace.

Low G

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yeah at first I was wondering how it would go and my friend even mentioned that it would only take a few gunshots to end this thing for good but the whole event had an old skool vibe to it and everyone was there to just have a good time and left the guns at home. Or the cats with guns stayed home cuz they're haters and wouldn't be seen at some lame ass festival lol.

We recently had a B-Boy/Dj'ing/HipHop event here too a couple months back.
Its good to see that these events can go down without violence, Ive heard a lot of talk of new clubs with no alcohol. But what with not being able to smoke in a club, taking away the alcohol could be a step too far, but then if its about the music, who needs drink? You dont want too many drunk b-boys fucking up the flow or breaking their necks. Breaking has always been a spectator sport for me, Id like to have a drink while watching tho.

Low G

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
^ ^ ^ ^
Come to think of it I never really heard about it either. I got there through word of mouth and cuz I was helping to shoot footage for a project. It was good for networking in the end and I met a bunch of local artists I never knew about. I don't think the city wanted this festival to happen tho and prolly didn't let it get promoted well in the hopes it would flop and not resurface next year.