M-Audio Monitors

TheSol' Kidd

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I'm currently trying to build my production set-up, Which right now consists of an old Dell Laptop and a Yamaha Digital Piano with MIDI output capabilities. I'm shopping for some good monitors and I came across these M-Audio one's. The first one is priced at $89.99 http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5263720&CatId=4959

The second one is a notch better at $134.99 http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5327595&CatId=4959

The problem is I'm on a budget. I have the money to cop the second one, with little left to buy other things I need. Or do I go with the first one and save the money?

Any help would be appreciated.

ess vinyl

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
old speakers with big woofers from a garage sale are a better choice then those, really though, u cant monitor ur bass on those and they are not worth the money. if ur a begginner, dont get anything lower than the krk rokits, at LEAST the 5 inch ones... or u can go with the powered alesis joints

daproduct

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
id say pick up a pair of edirol ma-15d's and hook em up digital. you can pump out some good mixes, and they arent exactly expensive

TheSol' Kidd

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
old speakers with big woofers from a garage sale are a better choice then those, really though, u cant monitor ur bass on those and they are not worth the money. if ur a begginner, dont get anything lower than the krk rokits, at LEAST the 5 inch ones... or u can go with the powered alesis joints

You're boosting.. I unno about that. I'm not a beginner at beatmaking, I just never had a proper setup. Wouldn't a subwoofer be able to monitor the bass? Are they really that bad? I just need something affordable that can bump, until I can upgrade. Like right now I have no speakers whatsoever. If you guys know any better ones in that price range post some links.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
refurbished is the best bet. New is over rated, you can get new stuff that wont work out the box or any other day after.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
KRKs actually are pretty shitty speakers in general and very not accurate.
I'll admit they arent the most amazing monitors out there, but to say that their shitty is a loaded statement based on your opinion man. I mean, yeah, there certainly not even comparable to Adams, Genelecs, or something of that caliber - nonetheless, they're great starter monitors before jumping up the $1000+ range. I've had the RP-5s for years and I think their actually really pleasant to mix on personally. They lack a bit in the lower freq spectrum but they still are pretty dam good for the price point and I wouldn't compare them to a glorified loudspeaker at all.

TheSol' Kidd

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
They say it's the man behind the machine, Not the machine in front of the man.. Think I'm gonna with what I can afford which is the M-Audio joints. And if anything really needed to be mixed down, I have studio's I could get it done at.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Cause if it's used, the possibility of it breaking after a while is real high.

I totally disagree

They say it's the man behind the machine, Not the machine in front of the man

I agree with that on almost anything except speakers. If you cant hear whats wrong you cant do anything about it. Buy those used events man it is like passing on a nice car and buying a POS just because its used.

I am telling you I am probably the only one in this forum that has actually spent time listening to almost every current speaker you can purchase right now, and you are making a bad choice at your budget not buying used.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
Do they have to be monitors?

TheSol' Kidd

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I totally disagree

I agree with that on almost anything except speakers. If you cant hear whats wrong you cant do anything about it. Buy those used events man it is like passing on a nice car and buying a POS just because its used.

I am telling you I am probably the only one in this forum that has actually spent time listening to almost every current speaker you can purchase right now, and you are making a bad choice at your budget not buying used.

Yeah, I hear what your saying. But I'm pretty sure they're sufficient enough to at least hear basslines etc, and I have a subwoofer for the low bass. Like I mentioned, I have a studio where I can go to mix and master my stuff. I just need something that's sufficient enough for home production purposes, Like the product description implicates. If I where to buy something used like that, and it gives out in a couple of months. There's no warranty on it, So I'm pretty much fxcked. Even those speakers aren't adequate enough in your opinion. They do come with a warranty, in the event something technical goes wrong with it.

members online