M-Audio MobilePre USB

nebulous

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Okay I know this is the third thread I've started about problems with sound cards. my bad. First I bought the EMU 0404 and it didnt record on the right channel, then I exchanged it for the Audiophile 192 and it didn't allow live monitoring, so I went back to Guitar Center for the third time and picked up the M-Audio MobilePre USB. Now the problem I'm having with this card is that it records at a very low level and only on the right side. Does anyone know where the setting is to change record level? I have to turn the knob on the actual sound card all the way up to hear the sound from my turntable just barely. I clicked on the volume control in windows and the level for line in is not there. I know its something that the software from the sound card did I just dont know where I can go to turn it up. If anyones got any experience with it I would appreciate it. This is the sound card: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MobilePreUSB-main.html

I apologize again for starting so many fucking threads about sound cards but I just got bad luck with this shit or something.

Thanks in advance.

pancakebunnny

needs more fartnoise
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
ROFLCOPTER!!!!!!!!11111!!!oneone!!1Ll

Naw fool, hit the line in button on there. I got the same one as you, go figure.

the button that switches between 1/4" in and phono in or whatever.

At least I THINK... my emcee is holding my shit hostage right now

nebulous

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
i dont think theres a line in button on that shit. i'll double check when I get home. the only button is that phantom power one. tell yer emcee to go to the rofl house and give your shit back.

nebulous

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
well does that one you use work good? does it record fairly loud and allow live monitoring? if so I'll go trade that shit in this weekend.

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
Dog I have the MObile pre.

open up the control panel of the mobile pre (start>>control panel>>Mobile Pre). and on "USB REcord (either that or 'direct monitor') make sure u select "LEFT INPUT ONLY" cuz by default it records both channels, and ur mic is only plugged into one (line 1 is the left.) so u have to select that. Also u can turn up the channel knob for the channel the mic is plugged into to increase to volume of the mics recording rate. Either that and/or open up the control panel of the mobile pre and turn up the "USB RECORD" to 12 or whatever u want it set at.

nebulous

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
yo thanks man. it ended up I had to download the software from the m-audio webstite. for some reason it wasnt on the install cd that came with the soundcard. so I didnt have the little control panel shit but I think its straight now. thanks again

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
no doubt. thats right i had to update the driver too. i forgot

nebulous

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
yo when you record do you have to use mono? to hear audio on both the left and right speakers from the turntable I had to put the input on channel 1 and click use left only. and then I had to set cool edit to mono. is there a way to record in stereo mode?

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
nah, it has to be in mono. stereo just means "two channels" as mono means "one". you can get a converter (wire) that takes the one output of ur turntable and split it into two inputs so u can plug it into channel 1 and 2 so u can record it in stereo.

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
cuz typical stereo line in jacks are unbalanced. there is a stereo in port in the back of the device. labeled "stereo mic" same thing.

ill o.g.
This was a useful thread for me. Props, I'll be sure to download the new software when I buy my MobilePre.

So just to clarify: Based on the comments in this thread I assume I can use the MobilePre to record my turntable, without any extra preamps or mixers. Is that true? The phono-to-line connection won't screw up the card? Also, what do you do for grounding?

Thanks for your help. I've been thinking about my recording options for a while, need to buy a new tt cartridge & something to amp the sound. It'd be convenient if I could just get one box, though I plan to get a mixer as well sometime down the line.

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
as far as recording the turntables thru the interface effectively without fuckin up shit, i dunno. Lets wait and see what nebulous says

FTdub

SP1200 manhandler
ill o.g.
Sorry for gettin in late here, but I have five Mobile Pre USBs that I purchased from my students. To record a turntable in you will need a phono pre-amp, dj mixer or whatever.
We usually go thru analog mixers to the Mobile pre cuz we can eq and the pre-amps in the soundcard aren't powerful enough, otherwise we have to normalize.

nebulous

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
yeah I go through a dj mixer before it gets to the soundcard. i should have mentioned that before. like FTdub said, it lets you EQ and shit before you actually record into your pc.

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
would i be able to run that thru my regular mixer, and then to the soundcard?

i have a regular recording mixer. eurorack UB2222FX pro

nebulous

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
im not sure man. i use a dj mixer cuz its got that grounding post for the ground wire from the turntables. if you dont hook that grounding wire up you get a pretty bad hum

FTdub

SP1200 manhandler
ill o.g.
no the behringer will not ground, or amplifier the signal enough you need a dj mixer or phono preamp