Lyrical Ass Beating: KRS ONE

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
http://www.krsoneinc.com./

Bronx Hip-Hop legend KRS-One has finished a new EP focused on calling out rappers that have questioned or challenged him over the last several years. Named Back to the L.A.B. (Lyrical Ass Beating), the EP features 6 tracks and as of press time no confirmed guest appearances.

KRS launched his career in 1987 on the strength of the now legendary Bridge Wars, a lyrical battle his BDP (Boogie Down Productions) camp initiated against Queensbridge pioneers Marley Marl and MC Shan, and their affiliates in the Juice Crew.

KRS also defeated legend Melle Mel in a live head to head battle at NY’s famous Latin Quarter nightclub that same year.

The following year in 1988, the Blastmaster would use the lyrics from that encounter for the official track “I’m Still #1,” off BDP’s sophomore LP By All Means Necessary.

In the early 90’s KRS-One had another famous beef moment, this time a physical confrontation with alternative R&B group PM Dawn. Having his credentials questioned by the duo in Details magazine, KRS crashed their show and tossed member Prince Be off the stage before immediately performing “The Bridge Is Over.”

KRS-One’s latest battle was in 2002, when he launched several diss tracks (“Ova Here,” “The Real Hip-Hop,” and “You Don’t Really Want It”) at Nelly over a perceived slight on the St. Louis rapper’s “Number 1” song.

In addition to the new EP, KRS-One plans to re-release his albums such as Criminal Minded, Spiritual Minded, and Hip-Hop Lives.

Back to the L.A.B. has production from DJ JS-1 and the Beatminerz. A release date has not been announced, nor has KRS or his representatives confirmed which emcees may be addressed on the EP.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Man you gotta love KRS...its like one minute he seems self centered, all about himself and what he wants, then the next thing you know, he's blessing his true fans with some lyrical dopeness. Alot of people will say he should just stop with the battle ish, but KRS wont stop, he dont stop, to the ahhhh tic toc....lol. dope, da relic!

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
I study this guy like any other MC, however, Im wondering if he isnt just looking for battles as of late..
NOt that i dont wanna hear them, or that I think I could take em , lol, but if anyone is going to take new talent to task its gonna be Chris..

Who is the best "batttler" out right now?
He should go head to head with him..

Id like to see Chris Parker and James Todd Smith go at it, that would be interesting.

Dude is the truth though, if you rhyme you really need to study this guy.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
^^ Thanks dude!

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
just do u now... fuck what everyone thinks... just do it... thats where im at... thats where i been... the wackest rappers got fans now, and everyone i heard on here is better than most.

da relic

The Ultimate Message...this would make the world a better place. Well said!

Mizzike

ill o.g.
What did you hear?

I'm curious too...

but hell, I study him a lot anyway, he has a good message, especially in his books.. I just got through The Gospel of Hip Hop, and I feel like reading it again.

I just copped the album though, i mess with it daily!

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Krs-one is hip hop royalty...and should be treated as such. He got more world knowledge than the average cat so...

This is true but at times I get the impression that he puts himself in that position of hip hop royalty (which aint cool), it's okay for us (the true heads) to put him there but this arrogant, self righteous, Im the king attitude is bull@$#t.

He subtlety displays it when he pulls the type of antics he pulled at the opening ceremony for the National Hip Hop Museum and what about the beef with PM Dawn? I mean c'mon, my wife could probably kick dudes a$$...wasn't called for. Couldn't you picture Chris doing the same ish Kanye did at the Awards...take a mic from someone and say some ish that is totally irrelevant at the time?

As far as his knowledge...he's a very smart dude no doubt but if you really follow what he's doing, you'll catch him fugg up every blue moon and say something kinda stupid...lol.

skidflow

Boom Bap is precious art
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 216
This is true but at times I get the impression that he puts himself in that position of hip hop royalty (which aint cool), it's okay for us (the true heads) to put him there but this arrogant, self righteous, Im the king attitude is bull@$#t.

He subtlety displays it when he pulls the type of antics he pulled at the opening ceremony for the National Hip Hop Museum and what about the beef with PM Dawn? I mean c'mon, my wife could probably kick dudes a$$...wasn't called for. Couldn't you picture Chris doing the same ish Kanye did at the Awards...take a mic from someone and say some ish that is totally irrelevant at the time?

As far as his knowledge...he's a very smart dude no doubt but if you really follow what he's doing, you'll catch him fugg up every blue moon and say something kinda stupid...lol.
I doubt KRS would pull a Kanye...not on a Taylor Swift...PM Dawn...ok...but they had claim to be hip hop back then (and they were in my book)...the thing about it is...that watered down PM Dawn shit was ahead of its time anyway...it would fit perfectly in todays musical scheme of things...but back then we were in the realist era hip hop has ever had really, so PM Dawn were fish in a sharks tank...even the Tribe was more harder. And I guess to KRS...they wasn't "doing it right" but dude is Hip hop royalty WE all know this. Just cuz he's an asshole sometimes doesnt mean he shouldnt get his "just do".

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
OffTopic

we were in the realist era ...

Thats crazy to think Hip Hop has eras. We've come along way, helps to make sense of things also.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
More off topicness

We have Dox, we have indeed. You got the Kool Herc era, the Golden era, and this era...the WACKNESS!!! LOL

lol I've been doin alot of thinking/analyzing/yada yada. This era was kinda like a transitional one, for alot of reasons. Music (Theory, compsition aspect) business (sampling repercussions) all have set up a platform for the next era to be better musically, and survive the new world. Not to mention, I get this feeling like it was a way to "heal" from all the great talent that has been lost (namely pac big). It's like a detox of sorts (in a hindsight analytical sort of way) Its all for the future. all we need is the talent we have, to take notice and step up, for the future.

skidflow

Boom Bap is precious art
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 216
lol I've been doin alot of thinking/analyzing/yada yada. This era was kinda like a transitional one, for alot of reasons. Music (Theory, compsition aspect) business (sampling repercussions) all have set up a platform for the next era to be better musically, and survive the new world. Not to mention, I get this feeling like it was a way to "heal" from all the great talent that has been lost (namely pac big). It's like a detox of sorts (in a hindsight analytical sort of way) Its all for the future. all we need is the talent we have, to take notice and step up, for the future.
I guess it would be fair to call this the "business" era then...I would be led to believe that this would be a fair assessment of the state of hip hop over the last decade and a half.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Just cuz he's an asshole sometimes doesnt mean he shouldnt get his "just do".

See thats pushing it though, he will surely be a hip hop legend but if you go back to the series of events that put him on that track, even thats questionable (imo). Too many questions make me question the honor to wear that title.

KRS is known for his philosophy, intelligence and knowledge but NONE of that was his focus before Scott La Rock passed. I really don't think he would have chosen that path otherwise. So you gotta ask what made him successful? The Bridge Wars? or his turn to philosophy...? Considering nobody else on the planet (outside of NYC) cared about the bridge wars, well the rest is history.

I don't know man, KRS is a hip hop legend in my head but he is the only one in my head thats questionable. All the rest have no blemishes as far as Im concerned and that fact alone bothers the hell out of me when it comes to KRS1.

members online