Low end Theory (not the album)

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
buttonpusha wrote: Layer your loops/Sounds/drums with the same exact sample but with low end. Listen to your beat and make sure it aint distorting(adjust your velocity accordingly.) The Low end theory makes your beat sound FULL(as opposed to flat/hollow.) Just listen to all your classic hip hop albums. For me it was the Stakes is High album(the low end theory was very obvious.) Thats how they(legendary producers) do their ****...Most heads dont understand the low end theory(or even know what it is) so they try to use computers to substitute. The boom bap isnt in the computer. Its on the MPC(any of them) or SP or whatever machine your using and those dusty platters. Now using the low end theory and then importing your **** into a computer to fully master it....now your talkin good hip hop music.

"Layer your loops/Sounds/drums with the same exact sample but with low end."

Anyone got any other words of wisdom im trying to get the fuller sound in my beats by using filters on bass and double up on samples

light

Producer
ill o.g.
not really words of wisdom. but aside from layering your shiz, if you get your trax professionally mixed by someone whos used to mixing hip hop, you will definately get a fuller sound.

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
nah im doing this music shit budget for myself so i aint paying no one to do nothing.
I need to get that warm full hip hop sound using what i got i know compression helps but my bass sounds aint as full as they need to be

light

Producer
ill o.g.
try layering a few different sounds in the same key and pan them out. you can mix it so its very subtle but just ads fullness

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Ok thaz all good but realize a lot of the theories floating around about digital and analog are based on actual scientific fact....now look digital is all good but it was never meant for real hip hop....Vinyl has a thump and distinct fat sound because about 90% of the equipment used to make the album was Analog...and the most import the Tapes....analog retains ALLL of a signal, the true bass response, the snare range etc.....digital is fine but it never will COMPletely recreate an anolog sound...why do I say this....its because your hip hop created on a computer can never match a classic track from say in the early 90's....each time you take a sample into a digitizing medium you lose quality....just like an analog tape copy.........you can come close....but each time you run that virgin Kick or sample through a digital processor such as a plugin, the OPerating systems kernel or a cheap audio processor on the PC you cut the original signal thatz why so many have problems with thin or grainy sounds especially when mixing down a final track that might contain more than say 4 or 5 tracks......now what do you do? not alot except go invest in all of that ol school equipment...but you are right there are engineers that can get that track sound fat and all but again to recapture the sound and what you hear on some of the old classics will be VERY hard to recreate in the digital realm....but you might come very close.......bottom line Analog always has more than digital when it comes to Sound and you will have some warmer frequency response and range...layering will help you out definitely but the final touch will be how you mix and master, and what you are using to do this with......

ill o.g.
My favorite trick is to take your whole track (or all your sounds) and copy it to another channel then do it again so that you have 3 channels with your whole beat on it. Then pan the first the whole way left. Leave the second alone. And put the third all the way right.

I love this trick. It always gives you a more stereo sound.

oh yea, i agree wit you BigD, id rather have the sound of an old turntable then a new cd player any day.

nas2000xl

The Ripper
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
actually, there has been so much controversey over digital vs analog. over the 10 + years that i have been engineering i have learned this, to get the best out of digital first depends on how you record your tracks and what you use to record with. like a decent (DA converter) to start with. DA converters are as common as underwear now days. if you want true analog to digital conversion then you have to spend money to get that. now once you get your music inside your computer you have to be carefull with what you do with it. lets say you recorded your tracks at 24bit 96khz, you want to make sure that you retain as much bits rate as possible at the end of your processing. without proper processing you will wind up with what is called (digititis) which means (destroying the body and purity of an entire mix), creating that edgy sound. also as far as layering, yes you should always layer your tracks to give them a more fuller sound. i disagree with (LIGHT) on panning your layered sounds. in order to make your layered strings sound fuller they all have to be panned in the same direction and mixed together corectly. Fade posted something similar to this on the front page of this site. now analog utilizes electrical voltage induced waveforms to produce recorded sound. with that the sound is more rounder, and smoother. and the dynamic and frequency range is much more greater than that of digital. thats why there is so much bottom end in analog recordings and is more capable of giving you that warmer sound. now there are analog simulators that you can use to add warmth to your tracks. but i suggest you use them sparringly. Remember, there are 3 stages in creating good recordings.

1. how you record your tracks
2. how you mix your tracks
3. how you master your tracks

"YOU WILL NEVER GET THAT TRUE ANALOG SOUND UNLESS YOU USE TRUE ANALOG EQUIPMENT"!

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
Originally posted by helix
My favorite trick is to take your whole track (or all your sounds) and copy it to another channel then do it again so that you have 3 channels with your whole beat on it. Then pan the first the whole way left. Leave the second alone. And put the third all the way right.

oh yea, i agree wit you BigD, id rather have the sound of an old turntable then a new cd player any day.

if u do that wont u lose ur whole mix? like the way u panned ur individual sounds and such? and what about phasing? im just asking cuz ive never heard of that one

Guevara

BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 34
DAMN IVE BEEN EXPERiMENTING WiT ALL THiS SiNCE DAY oNE, THE DiFFERENT PANS AND LAYERS, i ALWAYS LAYERED MY SHiT, i NEVER kNEW THERE WAS AN ACTUAL NAME FoR iT THoUGH.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
once you get making beats down then get your engineering.....back in old school days it used to be the other way around you used to find engineers becoming producers.....but learning how to make your tracks fatter and just as good as a cd is what I have been working on....you haven't seen me in the showcase, I have been in Frankensteins lab working on some sick creations...LOL, but I like the Low End theory

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Low end, hehe, I use a lot of mono tracks lol! Especialy the basslines.

I dont know about the theory, i did double mono tracks in the FT2 days and panned them left/right. A friend of mine made a DIY little box that enhanced a stereo signal which made the track sound bright and sparkling with out losing too much low. But that was then.

As far as these days go, I work a lot on simply 16bit 44khz on the pc and the RME supplies the A/D - D/A I/O. When D/A, all goes through the Topaz since analogue blends without slicing every stream into bits and samples. Its on the topaz where I l do the mixdown/ add fx/the lot etc. I record through a apogee to the masterburner or DAT. It's also on the apogee where I decide the resolution. It works different the other way around though, All input from the recording room/booth( acoustix in general) goes through apogee first then into the topaz, then it records onto the RME. That besides the DA160/90 are the digital devices we use in order to make benefit of digital technology, I dont even wanna see more digital, just the analogue, the more the better.

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.

yo thats kind of dope ive been doing something similar but i only use two tracks and i dont pan em extreme left n right i put em of centre

but yo one huge problem is the bass tones dont sound right, so im focusing alot on that shit right now

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Im using the 32/32/8/2 ( Project 8 ), not automated but with the meterbridge though. I'm loving it, great multitrack (RME 9652/DA160/90) console, excellent british eq and blends very nicely, wide n warm.

It's going into the edit/DAW room though, upon the new studio building were investing into an Audient ASP8024-48PB console or perhaps a Mozart since we now have the space for it.

voorheezMP

M.ilitia P.roductions
ill o.g.
YO!¡! THA LoW eND THeRoY. I thought that ª Tribe Called Quest album?...............hehehe. Well when I sample, I put tha same sample in to Π channelz EQ one high & EQ one LoW. So I can make tha sample thin(highz) or thick(lowz) when choose. At tha same tyme it gives you more control over your sample, "soundwize". Just like what BiGD & 2000xl stated you can't get that true warmth without analog hardware. Not even gonna tip dat. As for that pannin' thing (3channelz) thing, I wouldn't do that wit my samples you might lose sumtin'. Now wit background vocalz & Hookz, I would. Unless your doin' it as an effect or sumtin' go for it!!! I respect tha software thing, but tha hardware for me {{{ΜþC}}} for me!!!! I ain't tryin' to touch that "analog vs. Digital thing........lol. Software for sum recordin' and most editin'.!

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
helix that shit for mixing down puting the entire wave on 3 tracks panning 1 hard left and the other hard right and leaving the other centered.

it sounds real loud and full so ima start using htat technique as standard cheers

members online