Lost in Translation

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
Thought it would be good to have a little discussion about the 2003 romantic comedy, Lost in Translation.
Oh Yeah Reaction GIF by Focus Features

Amy Poehler Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers
obviously not.

I was having a listen to some Beat Fights today through some really shitty speaker. It was interesting to see what tracks still were able to communicate themselves. One beat still presented itself as a sampled funk/soul hip-hop boombap joint, the other beat... every now and then, all I would hear, is random metal clanks. I feel listening on monitors the pots-and-pans beat would probably sound a lot better, though perhaps the mix will still show itself as bad.

I know most of us know about the practise of 'listening back on different devices', but just a reminder using our very own examples.

Listening to one of my recent beats back, even though the beat still communicated itself clearly, I feel I could 'see' one of my processing tricks and how it manifested on this playback device. I was able to see how what I did affected the frequency when played back on narrowed bandwidth, and perhaps a frequency band that I need to pay more attention to again.

Really want to get some shitty speakers to reference on after my main mix is sorted, just to see little minor translation errors. AND THEN I WILL BE UNSTOPPABLE. Or something. (anyone know any good cheap but shitty in-the-right-way speakers to mix on... lemme know!)

Anyway, to those who need to hear it, get studio monitors,mix on them, move some damn air, then go listen back on various devices.

Stop getting lost in translation.

members online