Logic Software instrument Pre Sets Lacking in quantity?

Tr3ydeeze

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Is it just me or does logic 8/9 have a very small bank of presets for its software instruments? Its not a big deal I can mess around with the LFOs and ENVs and create my own sounds no prob. In comparison with Reason 4 or AIRs XPAND 2 that comes with PT8, Logic has a small bank. All in all I think Logic 9 is a bang for your buck and I dont regret buying it. I dont know maybe I installed it wrong or something lol but refuse to go through 2hrs and 27 miins of downloading all those damn disk lol. Peace

SirSedric

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Is it just me or does logic 8/9 have a very small bank of presets for its software instruments? Its not a big deal I can mess around with the LFOs and ENVs and create my own sounds no prob. In comparison with Reason 4 or AIRs XPAND 2 that comes with PT8, Logic has a small bank. All in all I think Logic 9 is a bang for your buck and I dont regret buying it. I dont know maybe I installed it wrong or something lol but refuse to go through 2hrs and 27 miins of downloading all those damn disk lol. Peace

I think all in all, the useable sound collection in Logic is pretty slim... but for the instruments that are worth it, they sound good. In my experience, no stock sound on any DAW will truly be a match for sound design VSTs and AUs and/or Reason via ReWire... XPAND is allright, not really my bag... Ultrabeat's included kits are decent for fleshing out ideas... but in the end, you'll almost always have to make sacrifices and purchase something more specifically designed for sound creation to get all the sounds you're looking for...

I'm a picky guy though, so it could just be that...

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
but in the end, you'll almost always have to make sacrifices and purchase something more specifically designed for sound creation to get all the sounds you're looking for...

Or getting you some pirated shit. Anything you'd ever want is out there.....lmao

BACK ON TOPIC:

The sounds pre's in logic are extra thin. The only thing I REALLY like so far is ULTRABEAT for drums.

SirSedric

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
The only thing I REALLY like so far is ULTRABEAT for drums.

Ultrabeat's dope when used right, so is EXS24 as a sampler... I especially dig EXS24 because you can use it to lighten the CPU load in Logic, which seems to be a perpetual problem for a lot of people...

Tr3ydeeze

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yea I feel you all. My studio is actually looking into purchasing or pirating some Synth VST pretty soon I've been all over the net checking things out its a few we like. I'm actually slowly integrating logic into the studio now but our main console is still powered by a slightly upgraded G4 so I just hook the macbook pro to the digi002 ect ect for now. I like logic for lil hip hop boom bap stuff but Im gonna test it out on serious projects this week until we get our mac pro. Logic and reason 4 is still a beast imo. I still haven't warmed up to the VIs in logic hopefully I will.

Tr3ydeeze

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Or getting you some pirated shit. Anything you'd ever want is out there.....lmao

BACK ON TOPIC:

The sounds pre's in logic are extra thin. The only thing I REALLY like so far is ULTRABEAT for drums.

If they make a Ilok Reset for snow Leopard I would be in business they got em for tiger but the new ish is all made for leopard feel me?

SirSedric

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
If they make a Ilok Reset for snow Leopard I would be in business

Try the Sonnalksis suite... they have a demo online that's worth checking out. In my opinion, it sounds better than the Waves plugins... not quite as good as the Fairchild... but I guess it's a matter of taste. There's also a guy out there who made a SSL 4000 preset for one of the Sonalksis compressors that's friggin god-like.

Tr3ydeeze

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Try the Sonnalksis suite... they have a demo online that's worth checking out. In my opinion, it sounds better than the Waves plugins... not quite as good as the Fairchild... but I guess it's a matter of taste. There's also a guy out there who made a SSL 4000 preset for one of the Sonalksis compressors that's friggin god-like.

Yea I checked that out. I got the IK media T Racks 3 Singles pack and the Stand alone version. That has a fairchild 670 in there thats off the hook its actually better the the UA plug in imo. It works great with pro tools 7.4 and 8 but sometimes when I try to use it in Logic it Crashing Core Audio. I called IK media and they suggested I put the 670 or all T racks plug ins on an aux track and use it that way ill test it my next vocal heavy session. That Fairchild 670 plug in is great on vocals test it out you will see. Thanks for the info.

SirSedric

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I got the IK media T Racks 3 Singles pack and the Stand alone version. That has a fairchild 670 in there thats off the hook

Yeah, the T-Racks suite is pretty damn good as well... I like the fairchild clone... but I did an A/B with a custom Sonalksis preset modelled after the SSL Master Bus Compreessor and the T-Racks fairchild with similar settings and I just liked the Sonalksis better.... at least for final mixes...

Also, if you haven't ever messed with Izotope Ozone... that's a damn good dynamics plug as well. IMO, it can compete with the Waves suite with a little tweaking and reading of TFM.

Tr3ydeeze

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yeah, the T-Racks suite is pretty damn good as well... I like the fairchild clone... but I did an A/B with a custom Sonalksis preset modelled after the SSL Master Bus Compreessor and the T-Racks fairchild with similar settings and I just liked the Sonalksis better.... at least for final mixes...

Also, if you haven't ever messed with Izotope Ozone... that's a damn good dynamics plug as well. IMO, it can compete with the Waves suite with a little tweaking and reading of TFM.

Haha got that ozone too and radius lol are you spying on my set up son? Yea I havent used the Radium yet I will tho. I just gotta figure out how to get logic 9 + Didi 002 to work with my MOTU firelite Any ideas it wont see the motu at all

SirSedric

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Haha got that ozone too and radius lol are you spying on my set up son? Yea I havent used the Radium yet I will tho. I just gotta figure out how to get logic 9 + Didi 002 to work with my MOTU firelite Any ideas it wont see the motu at all

What's your signal path?

MOTU --> DIGI 002 --> Logic?

DIGI 002 --> MOTU --> Logic?

I'll assume you've already upgraded all drivers/firmware, etc...

Tr3ydeeze

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
What's your signal path?

MOTU --> DIGI 002 --> Logic?

DIGI 002 --> MOTU --> Logic?

I'll assume you've already upgraded all drivers/firmware, etc...

MOTU --> DIGI 002 --> Logic. The DIGI going to Macbook Pro via FireWire and the MoTu is going into Macbook Pro via USB. When I Use the Mac Mini with Pro Tools 7.4 (original set up) it works fine. Oddly enough logic sees the DIGI 002 and I downloaded the Motu time works software but It wont see my keyboards. I pretty much sub the mini with the macbbook just to use logic. If u check oour website you will see picks of the studio. www.citylightsproductions.com

SirSedric

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
MOTU --> DIGI 002 --> Logic. The DIGI going to Macbook Pro via FireWire and the MoTu is going into Macbook Pro via USB. When I Use the Mac Mini with Pro Tools 7.4 (original set up) it works fine. Oddly enough logic sees the DIGI 002 and I downloaded the Motu time works software but It wont see my keyboards. I pretty much sub the mini with the macbbook just to use logic. If u check oour website you will see picks of the studio. www.citylightsproductions.com

I-I-get tore up under city lights...!

I'm not too familiar with the MOTU, but I think you can only have one input protocol running at once...
Since you have your DIGI 002 set as the audio input and it's FireWire, I'm not sure how it'll work to also try to run the MOTU via USB...

Is there a FireWire output on your MOTU that you can put into your DIGI 002? The DIGI has two FW inputs, right? Which model of MOTU interface do you have?

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Logic has ...aggregated device option... Merge both 002 and motu as one driver, but do check latency from your i/o since those will always differ (analogue vs digital) and which clock is better. You can assign roles those while making an aggregated device.

Use the macbook pro as main daw, G4 if mbp isnt present and G4 as a Logic node when both are present.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
I love logic 8 (haven't tried 9)...it's a great music production program.......

I also think the sounds are a little thin (hence my last ill battle with spanish harlem). I actually replaced those sounds with sounds on Protools HD and the VST's we have in that program.....

Just imported the MIDI into Protools and replaced the sounds with East West VSTs, Xpand, FM8 and I think one or two more.... Logic is a great starting point but have to compete BIG time with ProTools and their capabilities

Tr3ydeeze

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I-I-get tore up under city lights...!

I'm not too familiar with the MOTU, but I think you can only have one input protocol running at once...
Since you have your DIGI 002 set as the audio input and it's FireWire, I'm not sure how it'll work to also try to run the MOTU via USB...

Is there a FireWire output on your MOTU that you can put into your DIGI 002? The DIGI has two FW inputs, right? Which model of MOTU interface do you have?

Logic has ...aggregated device option... Merge both 002 and motu as one driver, but do check latency from your i/o since those will always differ (analogue vs digital) and which clock is better. You can assign roles those while making an aggregated device.

Use the macbook pro as main daw, G4 if mbp isnt present and G4 as a Logic node when both are present.

Thanks guys I got it to work yesterday before a session yesterday. I apreciate all the help and sugesstions. That aggregated thing woked I think. I actually had the set up like this MOTU ---> DiGI002 ---> External Firewire HDD/Firewire hub ---> MacBook Pro. Once I had everything working I tried to do part of the sission with it bup ended up going back to pro tools cause Im so used to it lol. A few more weeks I should be confident enough do do some serious work with it. But from what I've seen Logic 8 had some of the best comp recording I've ever seen. And I really got to use Flex time on some Live bass and Piano parts Wow. I really only went back to Pro Tools to do my drums becasue ultrabeat is a lil thin at times and my main console had the HDD with all the good drum samples. Peace

members online