Logic Express or Digital Performer

kojo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
sup people, im planning on getting an Ibook later this year and i wanted to know which one do you think will be right for me. I currently use FL, Reason, and Adobe Audition. I do sample bassed hip hop and i like using VSTs for basslines, melodies, etc. thanks.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Logic definitly, but it doesn't run vst's by itself, you need VST-AU adapter for that which isn't succesfull with all vst's or vsti's. If you can get Logic Pro 7 you hardly need to worry, exs24 makes and reads rex files, the plugs coming with Pro 7 are pretty decent and same goes for the fx, dynamics ( still, never heard a better virtual tape delay than the simple one that came with logic years ago ).

And, if looking for an interface

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/traveler

dont even think you can use another brand that goes along an Ibook, that's a myth hehe.

Architect

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
kojo said:
sup people, im planning on getting an Ibook later this year and i wanted to know which one do you think will be right for me. I currently use FL, Reason, and Adobe Audition. I do sample bassed hip hop and i like using VSTs for basslines, melodies, etc. thanks.

You know that Ibook doesn't support FL and Adobe Audition (I'm not absolutely certain) so you'll really only have Reason and whatever else you decide to get. For what you've explained Logic maybe overkill for just sampled based Hip-Hop using VST's to make basslines, melodies, etc. I would check out Ableton Live 4 to be honest with you, it runs on Mac. Logic can be very complex and seems to be a lot more than you would need right now, especially for $900 (Logic Pro 7). You could definitely grow into it though. I haven't heard many bad things about Digital Performer it seems to be real solid for the people who use it, I don't know much about it though so can't add any insight into it's benefits and features.

My bad I didn't see you were looking at Logic Express... Unless your going to take advantage of all the wonderful Midi features of Logic, I would look for a more simpler host to work with VST's at this point.

kojo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yeah i knew FL and adobe arent on there. cubase sx as well as ableton live is looking pretty appealing too right now. best thing for me to do is just try the demos out and see, thankfully theres an Apple store not too far from here, thanks fellaz.

Producer X

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I've been a DP user for about 5 years and it works for me. If you compare DP to Logic express, it's no competition. DP is a much more stable program. I've used logic express and it's very clunky and hard to move around in. I haven't used Logic 7 yet, but for twice the price of DP, it should be killer. You also use VST to AU in DP. I use VSTs all the time.