• Alive

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dead

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
What do you think about live performance(s) in Hip Hop? I've never been in a position to experience a live performance and I've wondered whether or not Hip Hop's live performance aspect has been and is hindered by:

Sampling as the musical element of Hip Hop which is dictated by legal concerns such as clearance

The genre's racialization of perceived and real violence at concerts since the 1980s and 1990s

The fact that after 1979, the corporatization of the music segued into recorded performance in studio environments for commercial consumption which:

Gave way to the later focus on albums and singles and as a result the idea of live performance was confined to touring as a way to promote albums and no longer as primarily a way to connect to people in the communities Hip Hop was born in?

Last edited:

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
It seems you answered your own question! The live shows used to be a way to really connect with the fans but today it's just a show.

Touring and performing live used to be the bread and butter of an artist, and Ill speak about music in general, and not just hip hop because the changes in the music industry have affected all genres in a similar way, and this especially applied to artists that didnt write their own material. Since 360 deals and labels getting a cut on all income, including performance payments, merchandising, it has become less appealing for artists. Society in general has become more interested in quick fads, the longevity of artists doesnt really seem to exist anymore. Combined with what you said about violence, getting venues shut down and unable to get a licence to even hold events, the whole landscape has changed dramatically.
I find it hard to see how an artist can generate a decent income, without generating the fans which needs the live shows to gain fans, its a sort of catch 22, the oldskool ways of being introduced to new songs by dj's or happening to hear them at a live show, just dont exist like they used to. Society has become quick to throw away and move on to the next fashionable thing to follow. The internet has really affected peoples attention spans. I think if you really want to make some good money from music, either write some really good songs, produce some really good songs, and get them placed in movies, tv, and games.

I would like to add, as I have just re read your post and clocked the "sampling" part.
I think the greed of the corporations that bought all the sample rights is what has effectively killed sampled hip hop.
Like I said, the whole landscape has changed, genres have always evolved and moved on, with die hard fans of "their era" of a genre that will always exist, will always have genre purists. Times change, its up to us to think out of the box to innovate, or be able to adapt to new trends to remain relevant. Its no good being a purist if you want the business side of things to be successful. Music is a combination of creativity and business sense, my business sense has always been lacking to be honest. My networking game is weak as fuck.

members online