Lets talk SOUND: MPC vs Roland

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Hey guys I am looking for some advice as I'm about to purchase either the MV8000 or the MPC 4000. here is the thing; I am a logic user so I do not care about all the fancy start-to-finish stuff roland put in the MV (mastering and whatever)- I do that in logic. What I want one of these machines for is to build a dedicated drum library on the machine, to get the best SOUND from my drums possible (where I still hear Akai has roland beat), and to use the MIDI clock of the mv or mpc to clock my logic session, as I have heard the mpc clocks in particular are the best around.

So putting all other features aside except for groove and sound, to people who have used both, which unit comes out on top? I know the MPC 3000 is supposed to have the thickest sound but I've heard its such a pain to use I don't really want to get involved. Thanks!

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
GET AN MVVVVVVVVV...the features that Clev showed me makes an mpc look like a fuckin casio keyboard..on the real i dont think theres any thing that is so precise and user friendly than a MV anything i wud wanna do can be done wit ease on the MV..u can make ur own TEMPO!! its to serious when i get the money together im coppin one of them mos def

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
i own a 4000 .. my advice .. i u have never used an mp before get the roland ... more features, less money ..... since u have never owned either it makes to get the one that offers more in terms of functionality.. if u know how to use an mp and love the sequncing than get the mp .. the sequencer is so ill and precise... the mp is shaq/kareem/chamberlin(in their primes lol) .. not as versatile but does what it does the best with rock solid proven reliabilty. .. the mv is dwane wade/kobe/lebron . not as dominating but covers more ground and has more uses. Both are great players but evryone has there preference as to who they would pickup

lol

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
thanks to both of you guys for the advice so far.

ash im really glad you responded cause i know you got the 4 and your post touched on something i wanted to ask you a little more about- its why i really started this thread. my situation is kind of uniuque because i use logic, and i've got all the best VST effects...waves plugs, camel phat, vintage warmer, etc, so im good on compressing, eqing, and putting effects on my drums...what i want to do is get an MP or MV and start my beats by doing my drum tracks, then bring those into logic and put effects/compress each one to taste, and go on from there

while i want to use the midi clock of the mp or mv, i want to sequence in logic, so this brings me back to my question...unlike most i dont really care about extra features on these machines- i want something that will give me the best possible sounds out of my drums (i know what you put in is what you get out), and that real swing and groove that is associated with these kinds of machines, you know? so in reference to your shaq comment, thats exactly what im wondering- mastering and all that stuff aside, which of these machines is gonna give me that best drum sound and swing for my patterns? thats really what it comes down to for me.

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
MPC ....just to provide contoversey and I have one so Im reppin

I hear the roland is sick..

have you heard the sound or swing on the roland is good or was it more people just talking about all the features its got? i keep hearing the same thing about the mv but nobody talks specifically about the sound and groove templates.

TheDeen

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I don't have personal experience but, according to the RZA, the MV-8000 is the first machine since to have a sound comparable to the MPC60.

N.Y.S.O.M.

A Beat Nut
ill o.g.
My boy used to have the 2500, and he told me the other day he has that 8000 and he loves it..But he changes gear like the seasons, but he swears hes keeping this..lol
I might put money on it but from what he says the Roland is the shit..
Me? I'm stickin with my 2500..

i got the 1000 with that unofficial OS the shyt is flawless i paid the lil 30 cash so i can save itz hot

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
Quality of sounds = you
Swing = you

Go to Guitar Center/SamAsh/etc, get on em both, feel the pads, feel the layout, see which one you're vibin on. Since you've used neither in the past, you're in a good place, take all opinions with a grain of salt, no way not to be biased if you've used/owned one or the other...

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
thanks to both of you guys for the advice so far.

ash im really glad you responded cause i know you got the 4 and your post touched on something i wanted to ask you a little more about- its why i really started this thread. my situation is kind of uniuque because i use logic, and i've got all the best VST effects...waves plugs, camel phat, vintage warmer, etc, so im good on compressing, eqing, and putting effects on my drums...what i want to do is get an MP or MV and start my beats by doing my drum tracks, then bring those into logic and put effects/compress each one to taste, and go on from there

while i want to use the midi clock of the mp or mv, i want to sequence in logic, so this brings me back to my question...unlike most i dont really care about extra features on these machines- i want something that will give me the best possible sounds out of my drums (i know what you put in is what you get out), and that real swing and groove that is associated with these kinds of machines, you know? so in reference to your shaq comment, thats exactly what im wondering- mastering and all that stuff aside, which of these machines is gonna give me that best drum sound and swing for my patterns? thats really what it comes down to for me.

best drum sound and swing will be an mpc ... it looks like u dont need the 4k tho... it might be overkill for what u r tryin to do although iw will give u the best sound quality cuz its 24 bit.. but to be honest the diffrence between 16 and 24 bit is barely noticeable. If i put my drumz into classics' 2kxl they sound the same to me i cant really notice a diffrence. i would try the 1k with the new os..

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
That's what I have, I love the 1K, it's got hte MPC timing and sound, it's great.
Only gripe is the pads, they're not as high quality as the 4000/2500.
I've did a DIY fix last year, this year I had to buy two new pads from VST since they I couldn't get them to hit full velocity. I now have three more that will likely need replacing.
Still, same features as the 2500, 900 dollars less, five pads = 40 bucks to replace, so I would say the 1000 is indeed an ill machine.

Regarding my mention of swing, one thing to note is that the MPC with that 96ppqn resolution has a way of making the notes falling into the right places and making things feel tight and good and in the pocket. Same thing with the way the loop turns over, something about it that is magic.

Not sure if the MV has the same magic, again, it's like shoes, you'll probably know within minutes which one feels best when you stand in front of it and start tapping the pads...

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
thanks a lot for all of the advice guys. ash i hear what you're saying on these models being a little much but luckily im in a position where i got some money up and i really dont need anything else for my studio, and i want to get the best out of my drums. i have tried the 1000 and hated the pads and the navigation, so i haven't really been considering that.

i just got the mv through sam ash and im going to try out a 4000 next week and decide which one to keep. gotta say though this mv is amazing and the low end on this thing is beautiful. i also love how it has unusual groove patterns and quantization settings for things like bossa nova rhythm and stuff like that, because i'm getting more and more into drum syncopation and world beat type of percussion. unless the 4000 blows me away i'm keeping this one...the included drumkits on this thing are also enough to keep me working for a few months alone, the 808's on this are unreal, way better than the "real" 808 kits ive downloaded on the web and stuff.

ill o.g.
Well If Youve Decided The Roland, Then Your In Luck Cause What I Feel Is The Best Just Got Better... The Mv 8800 Comes Out Tomorrow If Im Not Mistaken... Go To Guitarcenter.com Check It Out... The MPC Is Awsome But Ive Used Both The MPC 3000 And The MV8000, And Honestly Theres No Comparison... Id Go With Roland, Then Again I Didnt Spend Too Much Time On One To Get Biased As Most Do...

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
the 8800 is cool i guess but its really just a bunch of fx and sounds...both of which i already got too much of, and the price compared to the 8000 is crazy. its really only for cats who need a 100% in the box solution