Learning Piano using...

KelzCorleone

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I've been learning how to play piano for the past year using Vanbasco's Midi Player. I've doadloaded Thousands of song's all genre's. I've learned how to play 100+ songs. From Dr. Dre "fuck you" to Sweet low, "Sweet cherry O" to Earth, Wind and Fire "September" playing Chords, melody in the right hand, and the bass in the left. I download these songs in full and play along with the music as a band like or concert situation. And it's ultamately made me a better producer/keyboardist. Tell me wut you think about leaening how to play this way. Everybody's different in terms of learning but it's been the best thing for me as for learning music in general.

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
i'm not one to tell anyone how to play piano because i don't really know. i have a cheap keyboard that i like to jam on until a melody shows up and thats about it.

i know that all my drummer friends say that learning piano before getting behind a drum kit was essential

P

Postman

I play the piano also. The way you are learning is ok, if your
just trying to impress friends.

But to enhance your music production skills you will need to
actually learn the piano.

What your doing is "Mimicing". But if someone told you to
create something like that on your own thats where the problem
comes in.

The best way to learn piano is actually not learning all the scales
and what not, but by playing by ear.

Here is a site that has lots of good information on playing the piano.

http://www.hearandplay.com

Postman

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
My personal opinion to this is,

You can definitly become aware of how key melody and structure works for song this way, but this will not teach you the common music fundenmentals such as key signatures, root keys, chord progression, and so on.

You definitly should take what you have now and sculpt it with a little bit of knowledge from the books.

Postman

I cant say i entirely agree with this comment Post. If you were to say that to someone in the industry they may just laugh. You can learn to make your own melodys by ear if you are not to effiecent with keys and scales, but dont under estimate them because the more you practice the better you will be at knowning what to play when you think of it. Ask Classic about piano.

wizard

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 141
as for me i just play!!! and trust my ears!
i luv the keys!!
wish i new the theory of it more!! but i play saxophone but i forgot how to read music! getting back to learning it though!
but if u really want to know ask classic he is a beast on the key!!
he's like a black Beethoven!!lmao!! the man is sick on the keys trust me!!! he is a musician!

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
i like figuring out the melodies of samples, once I know the main keys of the loop I can find the various chords in my chord-book. experiement an reinvent

there is never no one way.. if there was music would not evolve

P

Postman

I cant say i entirely agree with this comment Post. If you were to say that to someone in the industry they may just laugh. You can learn to make your own melodys by ear if you are not to effiecent with keys and scales, but dont under estimate them because the more you practice the better you will be at knowning what to play when you think of it. Ask Classic about piano.

Actually I am a pianist. I know all the scales, chords, everything. I
actually have youtube videos of me in the studio messin around on
the keys.

You say if I tell that to someone in the industry they will laugh at me?

Don't know why you believe that, but I've been in the studio
with "industry" producers and many of them don't know
anything past the basics when it comes to the keyboard.

They just know how to make music.

One of my good friends is what I would consider an "industry"
producers since he has major placements with major artist.

Funny thing is he has no idea how to play the piano. The
little he does know I taught him. But he is one of the nastiest
producers in the game, to me.

He is just now starting to blow like he should have been.

But the point is, you don't need to know all the scales
and what not, to make great hiphop beats.

I know many producers who don't know jack, but can
make some bangers.

Postman

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Actually I am a pianist. I know all the scales, chords, everything. I
actually have youtube videos of me in the studio messin around on
the keys.

You say if I tell that to someone in the industry they will laugh at me?

Don't know why you believe that, but I've been in the studio
with "industry" producers and many of them don't know
anything past the basics when it comes to the keyboard.

They just know how to make music.

One of my good friends is what I would consider an "industry"
producers since he has major placements with major artist.

Funny thing is he has no idea how to play the piano. The
little he does know I taught him. But he is one of the nastiest
producers in the game, to me.

He is just now starting to blow like he should have been.

I know many producers who don't know jack, but can
make some bangers.

Postman

Postman: Kontents was saying, "You can learn to make your own melodys by ear if you are not to effiecent with keys and scales, but dont under estimate them because the more you practice the better you will be at knowning what to play when you think of it."

So I understand that quote as you do not have to be that great at piano to make ill beats..

but initially you (Postman) wrote, "What your doing is "Mimicing". But if someone told you to
create something like that on your own thats where the problem
comes in". And that was in reference to Kelz learning 100+ songs.

So it sounded like you were saying that since he was "Mimicing" that he will not be nearly as good than if he learned the traditional Music Theory and skills taught by a music degree in College. Which is true.

But like Kontents was saying and I was thinking after first reading your initial post: you do not need professional piano skills (or any serious piano skills) to make ill beats. Then in your last comment you said something I didn't expect when you wrote, "But the point is, you don't need to know all the scales and what not, to make great hiphop beats."

so that's that! you don't need the skills but it helps :)

-Chrono

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Postman
Postman

These are two different statments. learning Piano vs. using the piano to make hip hop beats. Not trying to diss you are anything, but my point was based on your first post. Leaning piano isnt just about playing by ear.

I can totally agree with you on making hip hop beats without knowing wtf a A'm is. Props for your boi getting up there most likely well deserved.

Pz.

P

Postman

These are two different statments. learning Piano vs. using the piano to make hip hop beats. Not trying to diss you are anything, but my point was based on your first post. Leaning piano isnt just about playing by ear.

I can totally agree with you on making hip hop beats without knowing wtf a A'm is. Props for your boi getting up there most likely well deserved.

Pz.

Right and I see where the misunderstanding is.

It was my fault because I wasn't clear.

I was actually responding to this sentence mainly

"And it's ultamately made me a better producer/keyboardist."

So I assumed he wanted to get better at piano for making hip hop beats

My bad,
Postman

KelzCorleone

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I do study Chords, triads, 7th, 9th and 11th, as well as major, minor, blues scales in every key. As well as go to school for recording arts. But learning songs and playing along with them for 2 hours strenghtens my finger, playing in real time gives me timing, rhythm and the finger dexterety i need. But i learned extended chords that sound tight as hell for other songs, that i never learned or probaly would have never liked learning 1 chord at a time.

members online