Lazy Producer???

J-Beats

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Ayo, i know yall heard fab n neyo make me better right. The track was produced by timbaland and through the whole song its that same 2 bar pattern. im mean its no breaks, verse from hook seperations, or end of 4 and 8 bars transistions. do yall think tim was just lazy, or is it a money thing "pay more if u want more on the track". Cause iT really sounds like, from alot of tracks that the standards in the quality of a beat is really low in the industry. you can listen to any if not every oldschool 80's hiphop track and hear alot of patterns changing and a sound that lets you know the chorus or verse is about to come in.

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
Man... hot is hot.... and that track is hot IMO... most people dont care about breaks and shit.. thats producers ear talkin IMO the avrage person just wants to here a dope beat....

yeah, I would say the same thing too. It's not music that will last for generations and be like the 70s/80s/90s stuff we relisten to, but people are bumping it for now and its hot.

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
Man... hot is hot.... and that track is hot IMO... most people dont care about breaks and shit.. thats producers ear talkin IMO the avrage person just wants to here a dope beat....

not rele alot of ppl listened to hip hop music and wud say damnn its the same thing looped so ppl do like hearing breaks and all that good stuff

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
if you notice, a lot of people who you are kinda surprised to hear on tims new beats- just as far as, like how did their budget allow for that seeing as labels just dont devote much to hip hop aside from TI/50 anymore- like the beat he did for redman, and this one for fab, are very simple. honestly i think he steps to them like, i'll cut my rate in half but its not going to be as detailed as my other stuff. you listen to the difference in detal between those rap tracks and the ones he just did for rihanna's album and you'll see what i'm talking about.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
What's wrong with simple?

Since when did simple become a bad thing? Some of the hottest tracks ever have been quote unquote simple. Ne-Yo and Fab completed the song with their vocals. A voice singing or a lyric rapp'd is just as important to a hot track as the music! Sometimes you have to look at your music production from an Emcee or Vocalist stand point. You don't want so much going on in the track that you don't have any space for the vocals. Having umpteen change ups,breaks and diff't elements don't make a track hot IMO. Alot of catz who post beatz here don't leave any room for vocals. They're too focused on how many diff't elements, sample chops and changes they can drop on the track. The only real changes should come on the hook/chorus or the bridge IMO. No record exect is going to listen to more than a few bars of your music. They could give a damn about how extravagant your track is!

SIMPLE IS A GOOD THING!

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
Since when did simple become a bad thing? Some of the hottest tracks ever have been quote unquote simple. Ne-Yo and Fab completed the song with their vocals. A voice singing or a lyric rapp'd is just as important to a hot track as the music! Sometimes you have to look at your music production from an Emcee or Vocalist stand point. You don't want so much going on in the track that you don't have any space for the vocals. Having umpteen change ups,breaks and diff't elements don't make a track hot IMO. Alot of catz who post beatz here don't leave any room for vocals. They're too focused on how many diff't elements, sample chops and changes they can drop on the track. The only real changes should come on the hook/chorus or the bridge IMO. No record exect is going to listen to more than a few bars of your music. They could give a damn about how extravagant your track is!

SIMPLE IS A GOOD THING!

Lord Finesse is the king of simplicity and hes the top 5 producers of all time in my book

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
the whole song its that same 2 bar pattern

Definitely an interesting observation, good looks on JBeats for posting this up. I also had no idea Timbaland did that beat. Before I knew who it was, I was always liking those strings, they're definitely on the darkside for Top 40. Paying closer attention to the beat (just checked it on Myspace - 3.4 million plays), that pattern is tight as shit, and the way Fab and Neyo made those two bars into a song is pretty incredible.

And amount of time vs. quality of song are inversely related, many many great songs were made in minutes or hours instead of weeks or days. Just read earlier tonight that James Brown's "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag" was recorded in less than an hour...

Blue77

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
But listen to Raekwon's "Rainy Days" from Only Built 4 Cuban Linx. I know Timberland is Timberland and everything ,but the rule is -if you put out a joint with the same sample/interpolation especially for a rapper,that shit has to bang harder.

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
i guess im on J Beats side on this one... i hate that song, and that beat is too repetitive... it needs to drop out those strings at least once in that song... if someone wouldve made that beat on here, you best believe alot of people here wouldve been sayin its too run-on, continuous or whatever... especially without vocals... but when i here people jump for beats like that, then i know i just need to get a foot in the door.

da relic

KelzCorleone

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
most of Dre's beats are the same way (the watcher, i just wanna fuck you) but are some of the hardest beats out there. Simple is what they wanted in this record, but the hook and the bridge make the listener forget about the beat and pay attention to the song.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
It's the modern day BEAT MAKERS... (especially the ones that haven't sold a track or published one) that think a track has to damn near do Gymnastics (change up) to be hott. It seems to be a general consensus that most of the hottest tracks have been simple ones. Who's not getting the message here? I'm not saying to not make your shit change up..I'm just saying simple works so don't shy away from it or condem it because it's simple. "Simple" is dropin' some major figures in many producers bank accounts! Remember this is hip hop not classical music. Simple works! Make the beat a.k.a drum pattern bang and your half way to a finished product IMO.

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
do what ever you feel like!

there have always been simple beats and complicated beats, both can be effective.

but from the commercial point of view, simple is/can be easy to digest for your public.

J-Beats

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
good looks for yall replying. in my opinon, a beat has to change up, swizz beatz trackz are a prime example he switches it up crazy and makes shit hot. and that shows that the producer is having fun wit it and also lets the artist switch things up and have fun wit da track. and i agree with what somebody said if you just hear the instrumental of make me better,i would really say that that beat is hot but its the samething over n over.

Beatz 101

itsOneO.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 179
I think the song for what it is, its solid but its not my style. It really doesnt need switch ups n' shit. The song is really carried by the artists(FOR ONCE lol). Sometimes simple is better. Alotta producers nowadays do too damn much. Sometimes you gotta fallback and let the beat marinate and let the emcee do his/her thing to make the song come alive. There are times where i was doin' too damn much. You gotta let the emcee breathe. It should be a 50/50 deal on shine when it comes to these songs....maybe even 60(emcee)/40(producer) cuz the emcee IS gettin' top billing.

But u know, nowadays alotta emcees aint rappin' like they supposed to so we have to flip the script every damn verse just to keep the listener interested.

If i made that Timbo beat, i woulda flipped it at the third verse and the bridge. Dropped the kicks or the snare or sumthin'. But thats me cuz thats how i roll. But its not really neccessary but its ear candy.

My whole deal is this, alotta CLASSIC hiphop songs was straight loops. Maybe a added instrument at the hook, a drop or sumthin' 1 or two times, but thats about it. Let the emcee do his job. Why should i have to be the one to carry this record and make shit interesting...??? Is this my single or yours...???