Keyboard???

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I didnt make no banga yet but im satisfied with my progression in production, so i want to invest in a keyboard or ask for one for the holidays if my mother isnt broke this christmas so that i can have more fun, make better beats, and id like to learn to play piano ( my grandpa has been playing since he was 3, so I get free lessons from a sick ass player :) aha ). Only thing is i need a little help selecting one because iv'e looked around online and saw too much appealing shit. I'm sure a lot of ya'll know much about which brand to get, etc. So it would be nice if ya'll can help me out wit picking one out. Keep in mind im a beginner so i dont need anything expensive, a pitch wheel would be nice,so would USB so i dont need to buy a midi interface, and I dont need all that extra shit like different instruments loaded into it (synths?), so good lookin out in advance whoever replies.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
good lookin on the link Kontents, i'll definately check out what they got... i'll try a little later, that site is fucked up or something right now its not loading all the way

EDIT: I did some lookin around, i actually think im gonna go with the M-Audio Oxygen 61, sweetwater and ebay got some good deals on them.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
if you are gonna use a midi keyboard, I highly recommend a midi interface. No you don't have to have it but if you run into latency problems you might as well not even have a keyboard at all. You can increase your buffer to compensate but doing that will slow your loading down and that sucks too.

MOF

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yo dac... whats MIDI have over USB? I dont really undastand what you mean by latency problems.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yea bro, that shit does look really nice, it comes with a nice price too lol, but im going really low on price + I dont need all those extras on there [drum pads,etc] althought it would be nice, but anything other than hitting keys is gonna be done software-side. By the way dream, you the dude that said u work for sweetwater.com? I saw something bout that, someone gave their ext.# was offering the hook-up wit shit from sweetwater, wondering if it was you cuz if it is, I might need to holla at you soon lol..

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
yo dac... whats MIDI have over USB? I dont really undastand what you mean by latency problems.

OK Chris you missed your cue to jump on this one...lol. 718 Chris is the man with the knowledge...

As far as hooking a keyboard up to your computer, MIDI and usb serve the same purpose just different forms of hooking it up, in other words, usb is MIDI also. Latency is the delay that occurs when you hit a key on your keyboard and it doesn't play until a second or so later, so in order for you to play anything on time, you have to play it a second or so ahead of time. It just awkward as hell and damn near impossible to play while the song is playing (or just by itself for that matter) because your ears and brain are hearing and reacting to one thing and your sound is actually behind what you are playing.

MOF

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
ok... so i dont need to use a MIDI interface? It's pretty much the same shit via USB and i dont have to worry about latency problems is what your saying?

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Exactly the opposite, chances are good that you will run into latency problems, especially if you haven't replaced the stock soundcard in your computer. If you have upgraded your soundcard, there is a chance that you won't. It really depends on whats in your computer and its processing speed.

MOF

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
it's a decent computer, not old or anything (2ghz AMD SEMPRON, it gets me around), but definately not fast like dual-core shit, plus it has an onboard soundcard, so i guess i might run into a problem with that... anyway, if i do have problems, is it possible to use those little 20$ MIDI interfaces that convert into USB, im asking because i dont know if the electronics on the device do anything that might counter latency problems eventhough it goes through USB and shit and my broke ass cant pay for like a $100+ MIDI interface

p.s.: thanks for all the fuckin help bro, you've answered like every question i had on here so far like since i joined lol

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Hmmmm thats a good question, Im not 100% sure but I don't think it will, thedreampolice would know the answer for sure but he's probally busy at wok right now. Hopefully he'll check back.

p.s. no problem bro, anytime, I wish I had someone to guide me when I first started, I wasted a ton of money on this ish....lol. I dont wish that on anyone. So keep dropping the questions someone will be more than happy to drop their knowledge.

MOF

dj360_iNfInItE1

UNDeRGROUND STaTE of MiND
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 16
I'm not too keen on M-Audio boards anymore. The first one I bought didn't work at all and I had to exchange for a new one. The replacement worked for about a year and a half and it's done now. LOL! I might just get an ASR-10 and use that with a midi adapter and call it a day. I have 3 boxes of old sounds and shit I was working with back in the day. Could be interesting. Ebay, here I come. LOL!

members online