Kanye And Acapellas

o-a-ksavage

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Does anyone here know where and how someone like kanye gets all those damn acapella's?

Y

Young Casius

Old Records and they also have people who get the master recording from the person who owns the rights to it. Then the vocals and the music are on seperate tracks and he just uses the track with the vocal, do the damn thing to it and Wallaaah......But since most of us dont have that we have to rely on finding clean acapellas on record and thats it. Or you could try finding acapellas on the net...good luck cause these are very rare.

ill o.g.
Or if those two ways dont work, you can use some plug-ins on some sound editing software and tune it until the vocals are amplified higher then the beat. Or vice-versa if you dont want the vocals on a certain part.

gram green

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
what tracks are you talkin about with kanye... i got all his shit.. most shit i dont think is accapella that he is sampling... what joints are you refferring too, im curious

o-a-ksavage

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
gram green said:
what tracks are you talkin about with kanye... i got all his shit.. most shit i dont think is accapella that he is sampling... what joints are you refferring too, im curious

Like half the songs on his cd, why what do you think he's doing?

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
They are blatant samples.

If you want to get around the situation and just get the vocals, you can hire singers. That brings down the price of the sample to an interpolation, since the source track is not being used. That happens A LOT.

Since he raises the pitch of the singing, then the usage of hired singers which are a dime a dozen in LA or NYC, is all the much better business for him.

Clearing the sample, getting the master from the original owner is such a hassle, I really don't think that Roc-A-Fella would let him waste that much money when they could hire people to sing (if they wanted to).

However, West uses the samples ripped from their source, so the above doesn't even matter. Does it, really?

Sincerely,
God

o-a-ksavage

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Wattz21XX said:
if you talkin bout his beats, he doesnt use acapellas he uses the songs as they are with the background music and all for most of his beats

Name one beat like that.

Y

Young Casius

Yo gram green you must havent really listen to his beats too good because most of his samples are acappellas if your talking about the vocals. Now if you talking about a song like "through the wire" then you can get that....but if your talking about his tracks like beanie seigels "nothing like it" thats a sample of a vocal not music.

gram green

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
nothing like it is not an accapella sample... i just peeped the track... the very last two bars of the song plays the sample... the joints i have heard the original sampled materials that i know for a fact are not accapellas would be my way, dead or alive, talib's good to you and get by, the ti joint doin my job, and the show go on (freeway), you know, some people hate and lucifer by jayz, and slow jamz... these are joints that i have actually heard the original.. but you can tell just by listening to his joints what is being sampled

2_nice

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i think through the wire is one of the better modern songs structurslly mixing production wize and kayne has lyrics too

o-a-ksavage

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
If kanye isn't sampling acapellas, then why don't you here the background music in the background?

gram green

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i do hear it... but check it out.. my boy just called me today.. he got a 2 cd set of all the joints kanyes sampled... im gettin copies tonight...so we will know shortly...

o-a-ksavage

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
where'd he get the cd?

Medicine Man

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
Man you guys are making it so difficult! For some beats Kayne just uses parts of songs with music and vocals then chops it up like "through the wire". And some beats he samples parts of a song that only have vocals like in "lucifer" on Jay Z's black album, he just took the intro from the original song and mixed it with a break down part the came later in the song, but the vocal part that says "lucifer..." was from the intro with no backround music. And in some beats like "get buy" with Talib Kweli he uses real live singers for the hook. Every beat is different depending on how the original sampled song sounds. You can't just sit down and pull out old soul samples to make every beat sound "Kayne West style". One has to dig and dig and dig to find songs that have unique samples like Kayne West or RZA or Pete Rock use on their beats. I guesse my point is that if you sample in your beats, there is no magic formula or sample cd where you can find hit samples, you just need to dig through the crates and learn to have a good ear to find little gems amounst the rocks.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
when you are talking about the sped up vocal tracks, those are not accapellas. those are the songs themselves. they are sampled, and you can get sued even if you speed up the sample.. he just clears them. they are not accapellas for those tracks. there are some where he uses the harlem boys choir (get by, this way) but all falls down, song cry, beats like that, those ae straight samples.

gram green

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i got the originals to like a bunch of knaye tracks.... man they are tight to check through... i been liking kanye but i even got more respect for him now... the way he be hookin up some of these samples is mad creative and different.... in most cases he doin alot to it... medicine man is right about every track is different... but he is definately not using any accapellas on anything and they aint got some secret hook up to get the vocals of old tracks of the original unmixed tracks or anything....if anyone wants to hit me bout the cd's of these trakcs i can hook them up for you... theres 3 volumes so its a shit load of songs... they are super tight to check out...