January 7-8, 2012 - Comments & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Theme: None.

If you have any comments, suggestions, or questions about the competition, please post them in here.

Be sure to check the Rules section.

Thanks.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Yes sir...I'd suggest something that you feel others will vote for (if you're looking to win...lol, I've posted some crazy shit in the past just for the fun of it...) but yeah, anything goes.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Count me out...

I haven't touched Maschine in a month.

With the holidays.....and getting this whole getting married thing taken care of has consumed my free time....... Although I have listened to some beats and done some mixes on them with my new headphones...

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
First off, where's my invitation? Secondly, I'm gonna win this anyway...lol. Congrats on getting hooked...you do know this means that half of your gear will be legally hers right? Just saying...Nah, but seriously, thats whats up. I wish you guys the best. Marriage is awesome with the right one. =)

Valmont

Battle Points: 2
Is it used as mark against you or looked down upon if you sample really heavily in these competitions or is it only about whether the beat is solid?

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
Is it used as mark against you or looked down upon if you sample really heavily in these competitions or is it only about whether the beat is solid?

Sampled beats are what wins 90% of the time, and of course your beat needs to solid regardless if you sample or not.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Hahaha, yeah I asked that same question not long ago and the general consent was that it doesn't matter how much or how little you chop, if it's hot, IT"S HOT! Personally, when I judge a beat, I take it into consideration, an 8 bar chop with some drums added won't get my vote (personally) but everyone else seems to feel that it's OK, so it's really a judgement call.

Like Oz said...the majority of wins are from sampled beats BUT I'm trying to change that mentality starting 2012...lol. I've vowed to up my composing game and eventually I would like to start adding samples back in, but right now...ALL my music will be composed. I'll throw in some vocal samples and some scratches but thats it. (for now) =)

Bottom line...I'd say...just DO YOU and if that doesn't work, then change up.

Valmont

Battle Points: 2
Alright, thanks. I'm actually trying to go the opposite direction, Dacalion. I feel self-conscious about using huge portions of sampled material because I feel like I'm not being creative enough, but I need to let go of that and do whatever creates a good track.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Valmont, I feel the same way...I had to find out the hard way that it doesn't matter how much work you put into a track, if it's not hot, it's just not hot. Regardless, I can't just put a drumbeat behind a huge sample and let it go...lol.

Anyway, here's a good tip...I'm not sure if you have access to previous Beat This Contest or not, but if you do, go check them out. Check out the winning beats, the structures, the mixes and the general flavor. If not, just go to the home page and check out some of the tracks there. Most cats put up some dope work and that will kinda guide you on what people vote for. One of the main keys is to be yourself, make the music you like...don't make music molded after someone elses style. Thats about it. Let your confidence speak through your music.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
I don't have access to the winning beats...looks like an error.

Status
Not open for further replies.