J. Dilla

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
i guess everyone here has been thru the strict criticism that other people give us, as far as, your beats aint never good enuff as long as a "major" artist aint singin/rappin over it... i dont even care anymore... the older i got, the more i realized that the public are nothin but dick riders, and as long as they dont personally know u, theyll be dick ridin u also once u make it.

@ Skidflow, yeah, you can always tell Premo off the gate. Dilla was just on that other shit. But really two different eras. Gangstarr was out in 89 (no more mr nice guy). Premier came from what I call the hybrid producer (started as a dj; later became a producer).
that type of producer has always been in Hip Hop... djs, and MCs made there own beats... b4 Preemo, there was Marley, a DJ... b4 Marley, there was Kurtis Blow, an MC... most of us here rap and make beats... its just like David Banner said... i makin my own beats bcuz noone's doin it for me, and im not gonna pay someone for leftover bullshit.

da relic

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
i guess everyone here has been thru the strict criticism that other people give us, as far as, your beats aint never good enuff as long as a "major" artist aint singin/rappin over it... i dont even care anymore... the older i got, the more i realized that the public are nothin but dick riders, and as long as they dont personally know u, theyll be dick ridin u also once u make it.

LOL, no doubt..

Sincock

Fucking Wankers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 8
I remember reading somewhere, people loved Dilla for his soulful quirky timed beats.

Well... in most forums where Dilla is repped, if your shit sounds quirky, all kinds of people jump all over you like, "Your Timing Is Off". But then they slobb'n all on Dilla for having off-timed beats. Your shit needs to get quantized.

It's strange to me.

It is strange but it happens on this forum all the time too.

Precog

I Phantom
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 10
I dunno if you can say people are calling j dilla one of the greatest just cos he died. For me, i wasnt really aware of him before he died, had heard some slum village and didnt even realise he did like water for chocolate. But when he did i looked through all the shit he produced and pretty much half of my favourite tracks of all time were there. Now i'd be able to recognise his sound like i would be able to recognise a premo beat, and the more i hear the more i realise he really was the fucking nuts.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Yeah..I have the like water for chocolate album...and I was a big fan of the production Dilla (then Jay Dee) did on that album.....

I've always enjoyed production that moved me...Although his was very good...It didn't move me....I never listened to one of his beats and said "man I wish I did that shit" He didn't have that kind of an impact on me comin up as a producer.....Which is why I couldn't put him as top 10......but of course it's my opinion...

ess vinyl

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I've always enjoyed production that moved me...Although his was very good...It didn't move me....I never listened to one of his beats and said "man I wish I did that shit" He didn't have that kind of an impact on me comin up as a producer

word word

dilla's stuff isnt my style dont get me wrong i love some of his tracks but its just an overall different sound he has. i do howeveri have a lot of respect for him just for creating that fresh ORIGINAL sound though