Is this a rappable beat? Gorillaz x Kid Cudi?

Dusty B

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 37
Let's call this a psychedelic alternative hip-hop hop beat. How would you describe? Anyways, this is a style I naturally gravitate to... abstract sample, lots of grit and distortion, hip-hop drum pattern but with heavy rock influence, and even some pop/R&B influence on the song arrangement. Appreciate any and all feedback.

Last edited:

Earsblower

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 7
Yes it's rappable, yes it's very good, yes it's def abstract hip hop.

I can hear the rock vibe you are talking about but none of the rnb tho.

Drum pattern is insane, I freaking love it. Sounds like you did it yourself on a real drum.

Also the drop at 2:50 almost belongs in a techno / edm genre.

Love your work.

Dusty B

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 37
Yes it's rappable, yes it's very good, yes it's def abstract hip hop.

I can hear the rock vibe you are talking about but none of the rnb tho.

Drum pattern is insane, I freaking love it. Sounds like you did it yourself on a real drum.

Also the drop at 2:50 almost belongs in a techno / edm genre.

Love your work.
Thanks for the love my man. Drums are from this: https://labs.spitfireaudio.com/drums (completely free too, which is crazy for the quality), so that was just me smashing on the keys and then cleaning up in the DAW.

Appreciate the call out on my Verse 2 experiment (the almost belonging in techno part). That's actually the pop/r&b arrangement I mentioned, but maybe more pop/techno/rock than r&b actually. I think that second verse could be a time for a rapper/vocalist to experiment a bit, like you see more in pop and/or rock where a guitar solo comes in, but that was me breaking the typical rules of hip-hop arrangement so I'm glad it stuck out!

Thanks for listening!

Kane the MOD

Grey haired Boom Bap Rap Dad
Battle Points: 5
Let's call this a psychedelic alternative hip-hop hop beat. How would you describe? Anyways, this is a style I naturally gravitate to (abstract sample, lots of grit and distortion, hip-hop drum pattern but with heavy rock influence, and even some pop/R&B influence on the song arrangement. Appreciate any and all feedback.

Unconventional but definetely dope.
Drums remind me of the Godzilla Soundtrack from Diddy.

Last edited:

Ys Man

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 21
virtually anything is rappable but i think this is more in the realm of trip hop being quite atmospheric and textured, very relaxing

Earsblower

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 7
Thanks for the love my man. Drums are from this: https://labs.spitfireaudio.com/drums (completely free too, which is crazy for the quality), so that was just me smashing on the keys and then cleaning up in the DAW.

Appreciate the call out on my Verse 2 experiment (the almost belonging in techno part). That's actually the pop/r&b arrangement I mentioned, but maybe more pop/techno/rock than r&b actually. I think that second verse could be a time for a rapper/vocalist to experiment a bit, like you see more in pop and/or rock where a guitar solo comes in, but that was me breaking the typical rules of hip-hop arrangement so I'm glad it stuck out!

Thanks for listening!
Thanks for the link, will def try some stuff with this !