Is the thrill gone?

joeburnem

Beat Enthusiast
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 100
It's seems like ol' Joe has lost his taste for "production". I sit for hours in front of my PC coming up with lil numbers probably not even fit for low budget film scores. Production used to be like a diamond sparkling in the sun. Now it feels like a farm chore. I get a good one off every now and then but my portfolio is looking wack! One of my associates got signed last week and I can't even get my ass in gear to come up with something for her project. I've fallen ... even packed up my wav's and removed ACID and SONAR from my desktop. What I find myself doing is listening to other cat's music at soundclick(there really should be some kind of regulation, lol) I don't even think an intervention from Cold Truth, Guevara & Fade could help me now!

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
Dont sweat it, it will come back to you, dont push it, chill out a little and hit it again now and then.

Vice

9ine 2o 5ive Live
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 71
I went through something like that, all you need to do is just take a break. When you come back to it you'll be refreshed and your stuff will sound even better. If you can rhyme just spend some time writing, if not just spend your time relaxing. I hope everything works out for you man.

PEACE

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Biggie, oh I meant Joe....LOL... look just take a month off and use your ears to listen to a lot of music man.....then whenever you hear a melody or sample you like record it.....then when you go to sit down you will have a months worth of collections and ideas that have marinated on the brain...

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
joey, joey, joey...

there are no easy solutions, but like eveyone said, taking time off will do some good.

i took three weeks off- not burnt out, but i know i always come back with a vengeance after a break, and i did.

just.... chill for a while. we've all been through it.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
I think this happened to all of us once in a while... Its really frustrating (specially if you know someone who is succeeding right beside you)

Me, I just look for new sounds without rushing it, I help some people learn fruity and I feed off their raw and unpolished creativity (I AM a teacher after all... that's what I do!!! Teach) It helps me to recreate myself or simply for the sheer pleasure of seing someone else succeeding because of me.

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
Lol@stress

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Yo man, Im like an addict!----Sometimes i do it too dam long all day, every day - and then i find that my mixing skills get washed out cuz my ears get fatigued from such long hours in front of my speakers listening to tha same joint over and over....yadyada......Point is - its good to take a rest....It helps at times.

Not finding interest anymore is another story tho. Could be that u still jus need a break. Could also be that u may jus be having what everybody has on occasion called "block"....Who knos?......But keep at it if your HEART is still there for it man...HONESTLY.....thats tha one thing that wont front on ya in tha end when yer askin yerself questions like "Do i wanna quit?".........

Good luck Joe! - Hope to still see u around and maybe hear some new tunes within a couple weeks er so....or whatever it takes - do u!

STEEZO

Aeast

ill o.g.
i feel the same way you do Joe but i got 3 other producers on my team backing me up so i can take a break and not completely fall off but you cant give up over a little beatblock keep at it go buy a keyboard or drum machine maybe the new toy will spark your interest again

joeburnem

Beat Enthusiast
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 100
I think I might go back to the hardware for a minute ( I have to go back to VA to get it! ...lol) I just saw a video with J5's producers and they were freakin' the mpc. It really looked fun.

eXampuL_oNe

LOW-PRO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
joeburnem said:
I think I might go back to the hardware for a minute ( I have to go back to VA to get it! ...lol) I just saw a video with J5's producers and they were freakin' the mpc. It really looked fun.

Yo man, i completly feel u there... I just switched back myslef, I used/use fruity loops off and on for about 3 or 4 years (only used it for my sampled joints)... And i also have a Triton which i never used for my sampled joints... I just recently started using the triton again after Cold Truth posted them videos of DubJ using the triton... And that made me think about how much more useful (IMO) the triton is with sampling, that way if i only have a 1 bar sample thats ill as fuck i can always add my own compositions to add more around it... And plus i like the feeling of using my hands to do my drum patterns, they come out better.... Oh yeah, i just peeped your stuff to man at acidplanet, shit was dope...

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I think software can be a real uninspiring way of working, i can be good for getting quick ideas down and for arranging but when it comes to actual production.....

so im thinking yeah change it up if u get bored using just one method try something different

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Everyones different in what inspires them to make a good piece....But i dont think saying that computers are dull and unispiring really helps describe tha problem......Computers are tha ultimate tool in tha end when u need storage a place to arrange and edit, but of course theres much more.......................All im sayin, is dont forget that u can jus build onto tha computer with outboard gear and achieve tha same results and feel that u want.............Maybe consider an MPD-16 for tha computer before forkin out tha 1000 and up price yer gonna have to......