Interviews Interview With Oakland MC Khai Sharrieff

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
khai.jpg

With this week's release of "1-800-HOLLA", this Oakland, California resident is ready to be heard. Khai has been working hard and it shows with his tight flow backed by the perfect backdrop for his vocals. Now that his new album is out, we find out a little more about Khai Sharrieff.

Sup Khai, tell us about yourself.

My name is Khai Sharrieff by birth right. I was born in Connecticut and have been in Cali for half my life. I'm a Pisces, always been artistic, and one to think out the box. Member of Lunar Heights; MC and DJ, resident of Oakland CA.

When did you first get into the rap game?

I've been around music my whole life. My grandmother owned an extensive record collection that was passed down to me, my uncle was a DJ and passed the torch down to me when I was 12; gave me my 1st set of turntables on my 12th birthday.

How would you describe your style?

I'd describe my style as ambiguous; a gumbo of Hip Hop lyricism, meets Reggae, meets Jazz, with a touch of Soul. All derived from a street life upbringing with a conscious twist.

On your track "Red Now", what the message behind it?

"Red Now" was just my take on where I am in life as well as the times we're in. Paying homage to my Hip Hop crew, Lunar Heights on the chorus.

Your flow and voice seems to just fit with whatever beat is thrown at you. Are you picky with the beats that you choose?

Yes, I'm picky I only rap over beats that speak to me. I don't like to force the art or message. The best beats are those that instantly make me write; when the pen just scripts the story by itself.

How did you hook up with Gene Flo?

Met Gene through a mutual friend that went to school with his brother. Took us a while to get into the work groove but once we did there has been no looking back.

Who are some of your musical influences?

Coltrane, Hendrix, Miles Davis, U Roy, Bob Marley, Gangstarr, Kool G Rap, Big Daddy Kane, The Meters, Herbie Hancock, Grandmaster Flash, Kool Herc, James Brown, Supercat, Peter Tosh, Black Uhuru.

What are you goals when it comes to your music?

My goal is to just be heard by as many people possible.

What do you think is the biggest obstacle for an emcee trying to get heard?

I think the biggest obstacle is knowing how to manage and take serious all the work it takes to being heard and realize the days of dreaming/waiting for a handout are over.

How important is it to do live shows?

Live shows are very important and should be taken as such; it is an honor as well as privilege. I pay homage to the legends before me when I touch the stage.

If you had one famous rapper you could work with, who would it be?

Man, can't really say one in particular but maybe Big Daddy Kane, Sean P, Mavado (dancehall artist) just to name a few.

Tell us about the "1-800-HOLLA" album coming out.

This has been a labor of love. I've built solid friendships with my now Stay Ready Music Group fam in the last year of recording 1-800 HOLLA.

Any shout outs you'd like to give?

Shout out to the universe! 1-800 HOLLA!

Get the 1-800-HOLLA album now! Khai Sharrieff - "1-800-HOLLA"

members online