im moving to brooklyn

A B

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
yeh congrats, sounds like its going to be a nice environment to be in.

jkman82

ill o.g.
congrats class.. hope this job opens up a whole new opportunity /adventure in your life. I live out on the Island, always taking the train out to brooklyn or the city. Anyway good luck man

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
Hey Class,

I'm more of a reader than a poster on Illmuzik. I know you're good people from the journals, music and info you've shared on line. So I'm gonna try to return the favor with a quick insider's guide to Brooklyn. And yo, if you ever in a jam, have a question about NYC, PM me, happy to help out. People here have been doing the same for me, so I want to return the favor.

Brooklyn is a great place. I've been here since 99, for right now at my life, nowhere else I'd rather be.

Let me run down some of the top things:

1. Brooklyn is an international food mecca. If you know where to go, you can get some of the best food in the world, and at a good price.
These two things you have to try:
- a piece of Junior's Strawberry Cheesecake (386 Flatbush Avenue)
- a slice from DiFara's in Midwood (1424 Avenue J)
And contrary to OHTen, you can get fried turkey up in Prospect Heights. Haven't tried it yet but the NY Daily News wrote it up a couple weeks ago:
http://www.nydailynews.com/city_life/food/story/365891p-311575c.html

2. It's the most diverse place on earth. People speak 180 different languages in NYC. 36% of the people in NYC are foreign born. Everyone does there own thing, minds their business, and works shit out. There is a lot more tension here than out in the country, you just gotta use that to your advantage.

3. The 500+ acre, diamond-shaped park in the center of Brooklyn is called Propect Park. It's designed by the same architects that designed Central Park in Manhattan. At the northern point of the Park is the Brooklyn Library (2 million volumes, all can be searched, reserved and renewed on line) At the Southern Point they have horse back riding, a large lake, ice skating, tennis courts, all this shit you would never think they have in Brooklyn. If you head due South from Prospect Park (about ten minutes away) you hit the Atlantic Ocean. Good place to relax, take a walk on the 4 mile boardwalk and breathe fresh ocean air (again, shit you would never think exists in Brooklyn).

4. Music. Listen to Roy Ayers "We Live in Brooklyn". Listen to Digable Planets, the Blowout Comb LP. Gangstarr Hard to Earn. Biggie "Juicy". Mos Def "Universal Magnetic".

All this nice shit aside, it's still NYC, so don't get too relaxed, cause that is when shit goes down. True and funny story, I had some girl with me from CT, we were hanging out on my stoop, having some wine, saying how nice it was. Two minutes later this kid with glasses got pistolwhipped and mugged right across the street from us. So yeah, always keep a look out and be smart.

Basically, it's like anywhere else, pros and cons. For some, the grass is greener on the other side, they want to get out and live out in the country. But for most in NYC, those here are happy to be here (2mil in BK, 8mil total in NYC). And worldwide, people know and respect this hustle, you know how Sinatra goes....

Good luck, health and prosperity.
EZ
Jay Zotos
AKA the Dahkter

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
Moving north... you gonna have a better understanding of the word "Winter"...

lol

Well, not as much as we Canadians do, but still... (hope you dont forget to bring a coat...)

kojo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
classic said:
I got a job offer from the Brooklyn academy of music (BAM) as an IT developer. It’s a dream job, I would have the opportunity to interact with some of the best musicians in the world as well as teach music part time. BAM is a world renowned performance/school venue with numerous acts throughout the theater season. Its also where they film MTV unplugged….

So yea, my country ass is moving to brooklyn.... How ironic..

class.....

i bet ur gonna lose ur southern drawl and start sounding like russel simmons in 6 months...neuu yorohk tool

ManDAmyth

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
That's dope. A friend of mine moved to Brooklyn a couple of months ago, he called last night and invited me to crash with him for a bit. I'm taking him up on the offer, it should be dope.

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
My prediction:

Classic will get up there in New York and make some connects that will get his beats heard by the right people. Look for him to get some placements on some mixtapes and be considered for some album projects as well.

I guess the biggest question is: Will he still show love to the "little people" at illmuzik and continue to post advice and stuff once his stuff is on the radio????

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
shadeed said:
My prediction:

Classic will get up there in New York and make some connects that will get his beats heard by the right people. Look for him to get some placements on some mixtapes and be considered for some album projects as well.

I guess the biggest question is: Will he still show love to the "little people" at illmuzik and continue to post advice and stuff once his stuff is on the radio????

No doubt, illmuzik will always have a spot and i will give cats a play by play on my progess into the music biz....

Shoot some of your articles have help me out the most

class...