Im ditching most of my hardware.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
and I had a lot see https://www.illmuzik.com/threads/my...dio-tour-full-gear-list-tons-of-photos.41283/

After my MPC left output just stopped working https://www.illmuzik.com/threads/left-output-is-super-quiet-on-my-mpc2500.42954/ (and I got it fixed on the cheap) I just started getting really annoyed by hardware in general. It's super fun for sure, but gosh there is the cost to buy it, to store it, to repair it. You can't just hit save and experiment the same way..I found myself playing with hardware instead of writing songs, so I sold off just a ton of stuff in the last few months and am just going back to working as much in the box as possible and just using Reason.

I am thinking of keeping my MPC 2500, my Electron RYTM, my Space Echo, my Rhodes, my controllers and my Filterbank but pretty much everything else is going to go or has gone. Other than what I need to play live, (see here and here for example) like my guitars and amps im simplifying. It feels nice to have less stuff and I am much more focused now. boy its easy to get out of control buying gear though, let me tell you.

Last edited:

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I hear ya. I was using just software for years until I used Maschine which is a great combo. Going backwards to an MPC 2500 is fun even though I've had to buy a new board and have some soldering done, but in a way it's kinda fun (but also a pain). I just wanted something completely away from the computer but I still love the flexibility of the computer, so even with the MPC, I do my beats on there but of course use my DAW to do the rest because why not?

But with the software that's out there now, it's so tempting to go back to just a computer. And now with that RX1200 it looks so good to make beats that way. I haven't looked at any new controllers lately, any ideas on what would be good to use with the RX1200? With 8 pads and sliders?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Dude take a look at launch control https://novationmusic.com/en/launch/launch-control-xl if it had not been out for years I would have assumed it was made for the RX1200. I own one and it's so close to feeling like a real SP without all the annoying pain in the ass stuff.
Nice. I forgot about that one. It would be amazing if someone came out with a controller specifically for the RX1200 with just 8 pads and sliders and a few other buttons. That would be sick.

konceptG

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
and I had a lot see https://www.illmuzik.com/threads/my...dio-tour-full-gear-list-tons-of-photos.41283/

After my MPC left output just stopped working https://www.illmuzik.com/threads/left-output-is-super-quiet-on-my-mpc2500.42954/ (and I got it fixed on the cheap) I just started getting really annoyed by hardware in general. It's super fun for sure, but gosh there is the cost to buy it, to store it, to repair it. You can't just hit save and experiment the same way..I found myself playing with hardware instead of writing songs, so I sold off just a ton of stuff in the last few months and am just going back to working as much in the box as possible and just using Reason.

I am thinking of keeping my Mac 2500, my Electron RYTM, my Space Echo, my Rhodes, my controllers and my Filterbank but pretty much everything else is going to go or has gone. Other than what I need to play live, (see here and here for example) like my guitars and amps im simplifying. It feels nice to have less stuff and I am much more focused now. boy its easy to get out of control buying gear though, let me tell you.

I hit that point back in 2002. Had been married for a year and we were trying to get out footing. My setup back then took up a small bedroom and for several reasons we had to move a few times within a short period of time. I got tired of lugging all of that gear around and decided that the technology was ripe to go all virtual, so I did. I worked in the box for the next 18 years or so and started buying hardware again. That hardware has frustrated the shit out of me (I still haven't repaired either of my Tascam FW-1082's or the Behringer Xenyx 2222FX and my DR660 has developed a double-strike issue on a couple of pads), but it still feels good to have options outside of the box. There are times I simply don't want to look at a computer, and when those times pop up, I have hardware that allows me to make music without even touching a PC.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I hit that point back in 2002. Had been married for a year and we were trying to get out footing. My setup back then took up a small bedroom and for several reasons we had to move a few times within a short period of time. I got tired of lugging all of that gear around and decided that the technology was ripe to go all virtual, so I did. I worked in the box for the next 18 years or so and started buying hardware again. That hardware has frustrated the shit out of me (I still haven't repaired either of my Tascam FW-1082's or the Behringer Xenyx 2222FX and my DR660 has developed a double-strike issue on a couple of pads), but it still feels good to have options outside of the box. There are times I simply don't want to look at a computer, and when those times pop up, I have hardware that allows me to make music without even touching a PC.
That's how I felt in the early 2000s and switched to just a PC but then I wanted more so now I'm with the MPC and it's great to get away from the computer, but as I mentioned, there's also so many options on the computer as well.