IllMuzik as Production Management

H&R

DJ Nice // Crack City
ill o.g.
I think this is a good idea but it would be hard to execute and see thru fully ... It would have
to be someone who strongly believes in the music coming from ILLMuzik members and
they'd have to be very dedicated as well as having the proper connects ... This has been
tried at a few other forums I been too and it didn't work out that well.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
i think people are just looking for an easy way into placements where they can sit back behind their comp and let someone else do the work...... unfortunately that shit dont happen... a better idea, like 2good said would be too develop our own artists and do more of our own projects ... but again the problem with that is that once something gets done .. nobody promotes or supports it ... thats OUR fault. the 2nd illmuzik compliation wa really fuckin hot... but yet still not enough buzz was given to it..... evrybody who I played it for was feelin it..but it went as quickly as it came cuz the lack of dedicated support....There is only a handful of people on this site IMO that are really and truly dedicated to getting their material out ... and i already know for the most part who im gonna holla at when my next project comes around... i think some cats are unaware of the fact that there are literally thousands of really hot producers out there .. the game is so competitive its crazy ...

we talk about taking things to next level, but truth be told the majority of cats here dont put ANY material out at all. Most cats dont even have ONE artist that they work with... start there .. find someone nice and hit him/her off with beats.. make some music... do an ep or a full length lp... i hear hot beats on here but i dont hear enough good MUSIC here....if anything i think a better approach would be to try and attract some underground/still accessible artists to this site... maybe do some kind of thing where we could submit tracks and lace up cats with skills who dont have a deal yet or something similar. hit em off wit crazy trax fo free. fuck it. gotta crawl before ya walk, and walk before ya run.... just some ideas...

oh yeah if u just want to submit beats .. just get a pmpworldwide.com account .. i got one .. but i dont rely on it at all. make the music, the opporunities will come.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
As usual Ash comes nice and real and to the point...
BTW Ill is about to move a lil closer to this in the near future...
VIP's and Producer accounts and staff are going to have a project collab spot....so I hear...
Be on the look out...Fade doin his thing...
Additionally have an artist, and beats and down to collab..Ash well summed up my man..
This idea of this thread aint garbage by any means but I think you make some good points..

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
Imo

IMO there is enough talent and decent production right here to drop Mix Tape type shit every 30 to 60 days! The problem is not many catz that I have come into contact with here have an open enough mind for diff't music. There are some hardcore hip hop heads on this site that won't be willing to work with catz that are not on the same shit that they're on! U can tell by how they automatically dis dudes in the showcase. Good music is good music! If all our shit sounded alike how fuckin' boring would that be? We have to start being more honest with each other as far as what we hear. If someone needs more work on there tracks find a way to constructively criticism them or lend a "serious" hand. If they refuse the help that's on them. I don't see nor here many colabz here. Everybodys doing there own thing. If that's most of the members attitudes "how the hell" can we get together on an idea like this or any other idea?

The world is a very big place! Unless someones music is str8 up wack it should be givin' credit where credit is due. I love hip hop. I love hardcore hip hop. I know that's where it all derived from. But the reality is not much hardcore hip hop gets on in the music industry today. The bottom line is that there's a place for it all and an ILLMUZIK compilation should reflect that fact. If it doesn't, you are seriously narrowing your potential market. If u have dirty south shhh....midwest shhh...westcoast shh....reggae...trip hop, eastcoast etc etc. with people representing diff't parts of the country for that style look at the promotion potential! I mean damn....I'm in the Atlanta...how the fuck I look taking a str8 hardcore hip hop mix tape up in the club asking the dj to play it? I'd get ran the fuck outta Dodge. I personally like the compilation that was just drop'd but I can't promote it where I live because it doesn't have one dirty south track on it! You can't ask someone to promote something that has nothing to do with the market that they're in. Just my thoughts.....ONE!

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
^^^ very good point as well... thats why i think the artist development route is the best... by attracting and developing emcees, u can cater tracks to there styles and vice-versa, and make the best possible music... by just submitting beats to A&R's, ur just literally shooting in the dark hoping to hit the target... thats easily the most unreliable and inconsisitent way to get work... even if an A&R is feelin ur shit.. it still has mad channels to go through and its easy to get lost in the shuffle.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Ain't this a biotch...lol

^^^ very good point as well... thats why i think the artist development route is the best... by attracting and developing emcees, u can cater tracks to there styles and vice-versa, and make the best possible music... by just submitting beats to A&R's, ur just literally shooting in the dark hoping to hit the target... thats easily the most unreliable and inconsisitent way to get work... even if an A&R is feelin ur shit.. it still has mad channels to go through and its easy to lost in the shuffle.

See this is what I'm talking about...lol! Me and SmashBrothers usually bump heads but we can agree on something! On the real though....the Mix tape shit and what Ash has presented is a workable project with little to no draw backs. It can be a win win situation 4 all. You will definitely get out of it what u put into it. If every body here submits 2 or 3 trax by next week we'd probably have enough material for possibly 2 or more mix tapes! We could have a crew to mix joints.....a crew to do the art work etc etc. Too much talent here to not look serious into something that has the potential to if not bring us doe, get us exposer! The real senario is this. You can only have so many Chiefs but u need a slew of Indians. Who's willing to set aside there pride to get in where they fit in and make shit happen?

P.S. The only financial burden I forsee with these ideas are duplicating cds and artwork. This could be accomplished by paying dues or something of that nature. They're many entities that do this. If we put our heads, talent and resources together we can make noise. We just have to make sure anything with ILLMUZIKs name on it looks and sounds professional. Shhh we could have a whole site dedicated to downloadable mix tapes! People who always dig around for new joints would be in the hip hop promise land! (A Dj's dream) ONE!

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
thats cool but im not really talkin about mixtapes... although thats one avenue.. im kinda sick of the mixtape route ... im not really talking about compliations either .. im talkin about investing in rappers/singers with potential to blow and lacing them for an album.. im talking about illmuzik members collaborating and sharing ideas on artists and putting an entire project togther promoting one artist or group at a time... almost like an online label... to start u could distribute digitlally only ... cd baby,itunes,emusic... whatver .. that shit dont even cost that much to get signed up for those services i checked into it for our smash brothers project. cheap ... at least when compared to printing cds ... have everybody (digitally) promote one project at time.. web banners, links for single downloads..etc... theres like a tousand members here... if everyone put something on their myspace page or soemething like that then that shit would add up believe me... we would get a buzz going ... u may not even be involved in the first project but maybe u will be a huge factor in the next one ..put u still help to promote both projects.... ya dig? ....

but really thats wishful thinking becuz honestly i think cats are a little to greedy to to do something like that... but it could work if enough cats were down

Low G

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Hey Ash that emcee building idea sounds big... and this hip hop thing we do is supposed to be community based anyway so if we all helped each other out by just even spreading a few copys out that's some diverse ground we could cover like all corners of North America would have a chance to check it. I could even see it turning into a sorta chapter thing where there is a group of illmuzik emcees and producers covering each major area who get together to colab on stuff but that's just "I have a dream" talk and prolly wouldn't fly too well in reality... But anyways, I'm not sure people here feel my stuff too much but I'm down for dropping beats into the pile for the illmuzik catalogue... I'll also ask the emcees I know if they're interested and then post a link to see if you guys feel em... Anyways, I'd love to see something come of all this but if not I'd understand why...

Peace.

thats cool but im not really talkin about mixtapes... although thats one avenue.. im kinda sick of the mixtape route ... im not really talking about compliations either .. im talkin about investing in rappers/singers with potential to blow and lacing them for an album.. im talking about illmuzik members collaborating and sharing ideas on artists and putting an entire project togther promoting one artist or group at a time... almost like an online label... to start u could distribute digitlally only ... cd baby,itunes,emusic... whatver .. that shit dont even cost that much to get signed up for those services i checked into it for our smash brothers project. cheap ... at least when compared to printing cds ... have everybody (digitally) promote one project at time.. web banners, links for single downloads..etc... theres like a tousand members here... if everyone put something on their myspace page or soemething like that then that shit would add up believe me... we would get a buzz going ... u may not even be involved in the first project but maybe u will be a huge factor in the next one ..put u still help to promote both projects.... ya dig? ....

but really thats wishful thinking becuz honestly i think cats are a little to greedy to to do something like that... but it could work if enough cats were down
Im definitly down for that, it takes a little teamwork tho. It would be good for fade to do a illmuzik logo jpeg or gif that we could use on our other site profiles to show our affiliation with the ill. Ill could become a brand like Ash says, we just have to generate the buzz. But I think fade would have to be down with that. Illmuzik is his baby. I beleive that promoting ill will benefit all of us. Ill Unit. j/k
Anyway, its a great idea Ash, and a thought out way of doing it.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.

I see no problem with doing both! The artist thing would be more detail oriented and the mix tape joint would keep every body busy. Both could be done with the same effect (EXPOSER)!

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
i was doing an internet search on the illmuzik mixtape...
do one yourself.. then think about something like this.
it should be out there, but it isnt.

besides the internet, promotion is not ennuf, you gotto have artists that are out there performing, rap, dj, producers and so on. you cant promote something that isnt out there. that happens one in a million, it happens, but you gotto be that one in a million and if you aint you aint.

i could go deeper in all of this but there is no need for me to type extensively if the basic view on it is clear. observe.

O

open mind

i agree with ash we need to push/concentrate on ONE mc from illmuzik real hard with beats,promo,artwork instead of makin an illmuzik compilation we should do an allbum that has a concept for ONE artist but its difficult if diffrent producers submitt their best work then the "Theme"/ "Concept" of the album gets lost cause of the diffrent styles thats a problem.

at the end of the day the forefront of a project is the artist we def. should develop one from illmuzik ounce everything works then the next artist or group could follow or even better lets do it like the
WU TANG CLAN did.

form a SUPA DUPA ILLgroup with real dope mcs push the group real hard then develop the solo artists from that group feat other illmuzik mcs and shit.

lets say we want to real work it out then we could post a POLL where we vote wich group/mcs we should develop (the main illmuzik artist/group) and then start from there.

just a thought

edit: to the ones that think we need A&Rs or Record label to start the whole thing forget it all we need is a fuckin plan.we dont even need to press the fuckin cds.the present and future of muzik is online.

I thought the whole WuTang style was a good idea, but then I thought about the logistics of it, and the geographic locations of people can make things very hard. Sometimes theres nothing better for coming up with new material without having a "Jam Session" everyone pooling ideas and skillz at the same time. The Wu were all local to each other, getting them in the studio together was easy. I think the common input all the way through an album allows it to be more of an album(as a peice) and less of a compilation of tracks.
Ill Compilations describes it exactly as it is. Different artists sound completely different have different ideas about what they want to represent, and acheive. I think the idea for developing individual artists(mainly based on locale) would be more productive and more coherent, with the odd guest producer for a bonus remix, or just a guest production. Its a matter of getting the mc's sorted into either groups or solo acts, then assigning a producer/producer partnership to produce each album. If its going to be done right then sample clearance is a must otherwise no samples. Thats where a bit of outside collaboration could be necessary, like someone who can play bass guitar, improvises a bassline. Or a keyboard/pianist can knock up some keys or a melody. A dj can provide cuts. An engineer can do the final mixdown. We have a great pool of skillz here at ill, its just tapping it. Now if samples arent used and the material is 100% original then money can be made, even if its a little through sales of the albums. If it contains samples and they havent been cleared then expect trouble if you try to sell or make money from it. But still with a finished product, advertising costs money, theres no getting around it, and promotion can get expensive, just for a single, let alone an album.
At first to be honest its gonna have to be for the love of hiphop and for its furtherment over the number of zero's attatched to our bank balance.

N.Y.S.O.M.

A Beat Nut
ill o.g.
that would be great but on a back end it will draw alot of people to join Illmuzik then people will join Illmuzik just cuz they want there beats to be heard by Major Labels thinkin they all that n not being apart of the Illmuzik family thats shouldnt be the purpose to join Illmuzik

Illmuzik is a community like another home for us.theres some kats on this site that want u to hold there hand in makin a beat

but back to the Management thing that would take alot of time id say put up afew ducks to that person whos gonna do it cuz not only he shoppin his beats but he out there for all of us i think there should be 2 people to do it like one on the east coast n one on the west coast etc.