ILL OG memory lane

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Just thought we'd start a convo for the ILL OG's about the good old days on the ILL.

What are some of the best moments for you on here? Who do you remember?

I remember the usual suspects like Pug, Dacalion, Stresswon, Cleverwon, Excellence, Buku, Bastard, Classic, Holmz, Relic, etc.

It was great on here because there was no social media so most of our discussions were not even about music! I met Clev once when he came up to MTL. Holmz came up too. Excellence moved here ages ago but we lost touch.

I mainly remember how laid back it was and more importantly how ACTIVE it was on here! I'm glad we still have those old posts, that's some cool shit.

I have lots of great memories here, my views were always a bit out there lol. How laid back it was was great, the hip hop community at that time was thriving. Home music production was starting to boom, really great times, especially for creatives, so many more opportunities, so much more diversity within the genre, before it got narrowed down to its lowest common denominators to sell to the lowest common denominators. A very broad range of skill levels too, cant forget formantix. He knew his mixing shit.
God, he told it straight, like it or not, it was basically the facts of how the industry operates on a real world level. Im convinced he was Michael Jackson.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
I remember joining up with a very similar username to 2Good.

I mostly remember Fade, 2Good, Relic, Skidflow, Dac, Formantix. Definitely others slipping my mind right now.

I was just an itty bitty G uploading my Scott Storch/Dre style beats to the showcase, back when the ill really was BoomBap Central!

Was so glad to see the place still alive n kickin' when I returned.

Stay ill.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I have lots of great memories here, my views were always a bit out there lol. How laid back it was was great, the hip hop community at that time was thriving. Home music production was starting to boom, really great times, especially for creatives, so many more opportunities, so much more diversity within the genre, before it got narrowed down to its lowest common denominators to sell to the lowest common denominators. A very broad range of skill levels too, cant forget formantix. He knew his mixing shit.
God, he told it straight, like it or not, it was basically the facts of how the industry operates on a real world level. Im convinced he was Michael Jackson.
Formant was on point. That reminds me of Vitaminman, met that guy too, knew his technical stuff.

God could have been anybody but MJ would have been awesome.

@Iron Keys Yeah @skidflow is still around sometimes.

Also, afriquedeluxe! That kid winning all the Beat This comps lol. @Sucio is another. There's so many.
back when the only battle was beat this, and it was the one to win, the sense of pride I got from my first win lives with me to this day. I really felt like Id achieved something, and it was a real tough battle, made the victory so much sweeter, such a fond memory of my progression as an artist, there were no points back then, just win or dont win, my bad, battle that was always a thing but I was too scared for that so it was like it never existed to me lol

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Yeah that's true, we didn't have points! I don't want to get into the whole FB thing but it's because of that that things too a nosedive. It's too bad because it was great to hang out and have tons of action on here. I knew while I was sleeping there were a bunch of knuckleheads on here arguing about baseball or whatever. It was hilarious.

Yeah that's true, we didn't have points! I don't want to get into the whole FB thing but it's because of that that things too a nosedive. It's too bad because it was great to hang out and have tons of action on here. I knew while I was sleeping there were a bunch of knuckleheads on here arguing about baseball or whatever. It was hilarious.
it really was fun, some great and crazy characters

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
@thedreampolice True. I thought about that, maybe some will flock back. Not necessarily the older ones but maybe new people as well. Hell, since the start of the pandemic traffic has gone up.

@2GooD Productions LOL dantson was crazy. Cold truth! Remember him? He revealed a little too much personal stuff but he always seemed nice. Other guys too like DJhoppa, P1, KO, Copenhagen, etc.

fucking hell cold truth, yeah I remember him.
Wonder how Sanova the Don is doing? who was the guy that did the sampleflips back then? he was always posting samples, cant remember his name, his profile pic he was wearing a beanie hat?
Hoppa went on to good things didnt he? Wasnt he from Alaska?
Wings of an Angel was a character for sure. Remember Barbie girl, lmao, what a crazy few weeks that was

Just remembered spanish harlem, we had a little rivalry going on back in the days I think

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
fucking hell cold truth, yeah I remember him.
Wonder how Sanova the Don is doing? who was the guy that did the sampleflips back then? he was always posting samples, cant remember his name, his profile pic he was wearing a beanie hat?
Hoppa went on to good things didnt he? Wasnt he from Alaska?
Wings of an Angel was a character for sure. Remember Barbie girl, lmao, what a crazy few weeks that was

Just remembered spanish harlem, we had a little rivalry going on back in the days I think
Oh shit Sanova! I remember. Can't remember the one with the sample flips though.

Hoppa I think he now produces some rappers in LA. Not sure if he's still doing it.

Wings. Oh boy. That guy. Too emotional.

Barbie! Hahahah that was a joke. It might have even been a dude pretending.

Spanish was dope. Always had solid beats.

Just looking at Season 1 brings back memories:

Changalang! Bigd, mercurywaters. Man.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
i cant even remember p1
He didn't post often but it's the name change lol.

I think the biggest thing though was that it was a time when online communities were sort of perfected at that point. In the late 90's/early 2000s forums were good but there was plenty of other stuff like chat rooms, messenger, icq and all that. But things change, times goes on. Corporations took over the internet, but at least we still have our memories of the good times.

It would be great to have some of those guys come back and post to let us know what's going on.

members online