If you're Sample Crazy and Swear by Sampling - WHAT IS THE LAW REGARDING SAMPLING?

Kevin A

Differentiated Rebel
ill o.g.
WHAT IS THE LAW REGARDING SAMPLING?

Sampling is the use of portions of prior recordings which are incorporated into a new composition. Sampling has become an integral part of many genres of music today. When you sample someone's song without permission, it is an instant copyright violation. It is the unauthorized use of copyrighted material owned by another. Sampling without permission violates two copyrights-the sound recording copyright (usually owned by the record company) and the copyright in the song itself (usually owned by the songwriter or the publishing company).

If you want to use a sample legally, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner. The copyright owner is usually a publishing company or record label. Remember that you must obtain permission from both the owner of the sound recording and the copyright owner of the underlying musical work. The fee for a license to use a sample can vary tremendously. The fee will depend on how much of the sample you intend to use (a quarter second is a minor use; five seconds, a major use), the music you intend to sample (a Madonna chorus will cost more than an obscure drum beat), and the intended use of the sample in your song (it is more costly to build your entire song around the sample than to give it only minor attention).

There are two different ways to pay for a license. First, you can pay a flat fee for the usage. A buy-out fee can range from $250 to $10,000 on a major label. Most fees fall between $1,000 and $2,000. The other way to pay for the license is a percentage of the mechanical royalty rate. The mechanical royalty rate is the amount a person pays to the copyright owner to make a mechanical reproduction (copy) of the song. A license which is a percentage of the mechanical royalty rate is generally between ½ ¢ and 3¢ per record pressed. Everything is negotiable and it is not unusual to get a license for free, if you ask.

If all of this sounds confusing, there's hope. There are businesses devoted entirely to securing and negotiating clearances for samples. These firms charge less than an entertainment attorney would charge and are generally more knowledgeable about the going rates for uses.

If you use samples without obtaining the proper clearance licenses, you have to be aware of the penalties. A copyright infringer is liable for "statutory damages" that generally run from $500 to $20,000 for a single act of copyright infringement. If the court determines there has been wilful infringement, damages can run as high as $100,000. The copyright owner can also get a court to issue an injunction forcing you to cease violating the copyright owner's rights. The court can also force you to recall all your albums and destroy them.

There is also a rumor going around that you can use four notes of any song under the "fair use" doctrine. There is no "four note" rule in the copyright law. One note from a sound recording is a copyright violation. Saturday Night Live was sued for using the jingle, "I Love New York" which is only four notes. The test for infringement is whether the sample is "substantially similar" to the original. Remember, a judge or jury is the one who determines this and these people may be much less receptive to your music than your fans. My point is you cannot rely on fair use as a defense.

Sampling can also have tremendous consequences if you have a record contract. Most record contracts have provisions called "Warranties", "Indemnifications" and "Representations". These provisions constitute a promise that you created all the music on your album and an agreement to reimburse the label if it is sued. These same provisions are included in all contracts throughout the entertainment distribution chain. The record company has them with the artist, the distributors with the record company, the record stores with the distributors, and so on. Well, all these warranties point back at the artist who is responsible to everyone else! Therefore, if you violate someone else's copyright, you will be paying all the bills of your record company, distributor and any stores which incur expenses as a result of your infringement. This can run into serious money as you can imagine. You will also be in breach of your record contract. Read your record contract carefully before using any samples.

Music Law Offices
Michael P. McCready
Attorney at Law

In other words, there's not even a 3 second rule, anything sampled without permission is illegal.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
Since what you're was saying, actually is that a lot of people here are doing illegal things by pushing beats with samples, I'm asking those questions straight up.

- If I use the melody of a beat, but that I dont sample it (I play it with an instrument, with a vst... is THAT legal?

- And if I change some of the notes....?

- I heard that, after 50 years, a beat can be used anyway possible because it becomes "a public propriety" (like classical music), it they can be used legally, is that true?

I'm sure answering those will help a lot of people (newbies and veretans alike)!

eXampuL_oNe

LOW-PRO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Sygma- Sampling without permission of the artist "at all" is breaking the copyright law.

"If you want to use a sample legally, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner. The copyright owner is usually a publishing company or record label. Remember that you must obtain permission from both the owner of the sound recording and the copyright owner of the underlying musical work."

Of course it all depends on how you use the sample. You can disquise a sample which if you are skilled enough to do can be a great help. Usually when u do that good enough you have nothing to worry about. But, there are definitly no guarantees. Also it depends on what you sample. If you sample a well known song you are definitly going to have to pay more to get it cleared. There is a better chance that if you do get the song out there without the sample being cleared you can get sued. But, I'm sure that if you are making beats for your own pleasure (wink, wink) and you are not a well known producer you really have nothing to worry about.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
thanx, I got that "using sample is illegal" part, but that's not what I asked actually...

If I love the melody in a song and I reproduce it with an instrument (not using the original and cutting it, but making a "copy" with a piano, a guitar or a synth...) is THAT legal?

If I change the notes on a sample (like J-Lo did with that Beatnuts beat) is that legal?

Can I use a sample if its old enough (like some Beethoven, Mozart... or some Elvis...). How long does it have to be to be called "public priority" (I dont know if that's how its said...)

eXampuL_oNe

LOW-PRO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
hmmmmmm.. you got me there. I belive if you replay/reproduce a melody with another instruyment it wouldn't be considered breaking the copyright. But then again i'm not sure at all. I know people who have done it though and they never had any problems.

As far as using a sample if its really old, i'm sure there is still a copyright on it. Especially on some Elvis or anything that well known.

Kevin A

Differentiated Rebel
ill o.g.
I'm guessing but I think it's more like 50 years after the copywright holder is dead. I'll try an answer your other question thou I think it will have the same answer, I think if it went to court, all they would have to prove is if you where inspired by the song.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Anyone else? I really would want to know... That would be great if I could!

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT A LAWYER, THIS IS NOT LEGAL OR BUSINESS ADVICE. IF YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND SOMETHING, PLEASE CONTACT A CERTIFIED ATTORNEY.

"If I love the melody in a song and I reproduce it with an instrument (not using the original and cutting it, but making a "copy" with a piano, a guitar or a synth...) is THAT legal?"

That's called an interpolation. It cuts down the royalty rate from a direct lift of a sample, but you still have to clear it. Dr. Dre does this a lot. It's cost effective.

"If I change the notes on a sample (like J-Lo did with that Beatnuts beat) is that legal?"

If you use the original source events (music) from the original recording (like a regular CD album), but cut up the notes of the original source and simply rearrange them to play differently, you are still using the sample. It still has to be cleared.

"Can I use a sample if its old enough (like some Beethoven, Mozart... or some Elvis...). How long does it have to be to be called "public priority" (I dont know if that's how its said...)"

If the recording is done by an orchestra, a record company put up the money, so somebody holds the rights to that recording. Like, the London Philarmonic playing Beethoven for EMI. It still has to be cleared, despite it is Beethoven. The recording is what matters, and it's owned by EMI. You have to clear it.

If you can play Beethoven on a synth by yourself, it's a different story.

Elvis... that has to be cleared. I forgot the exact date that "copyrights" give the rights to the person, and that may be different in each country unless the country is signed to an international treatise. Check your government's listing for information or consult a qualified attorney.

Sincerely,
God

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT A LAWYER, THIS IS NOT LEGAL OR BUSINESS ADVICE. IF YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND SOMETHING, PLEASE CONTACT A CERTIFIED ATTORNEY.

C

Copenhagen

Good explanation G, only one thing though, J-Lo just used the same sample as The Beatnuts, being Enoch Light Orchestra - "Hi-Jack", and didn't directly sample The Beatnuts. I just think they sampled it at a different pitch, if I am not mistaken.
Not that it ruined your point ;) ...I just wanted to make a note of it to the people who are interested in samples and didn't know the original.

Tim D

Bitchn' Bout IRS
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
defintly not, noone would recognize one drum hit anyway

Kevin A

Differentiated Rebel
ill o.g.
According to the law it should be cleared, but like tim said, hits are hardly reconizable. But don't go sampling the drums from something like the Al green's lets stay together album and think no one will reconize it.
Wings has posted a thread on how to clear samples, so now you can have the complete process just so you can know what you can and can't do if your concerned about the law.
How to Clear a Sample
https://www.illmuzik.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5974

tony needles

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Really who gives a fuck.. how many people here are getting paid the kind of money where artists of sampled beats will actually tax them. Better yet, who in here would stop sampling because they are afraid of getting taxed

eldiablo

KRACK HEAD
ill o.g.
i dont think sampling fractions of beats and chopping em up is illegal. as long as it doesnt sound the same or even like the original.
i currently dont sample, make mines from scratch. but in the future i want to puposely sample some shit to get sued i'll hack the fuck out they shit. i wanna get sued by cats who got sued, like tha biz'. and i know public enemy is quick to sue. maybe if i got sued by public enemy i could get flav to do a track with me. i'll sample pufffy and make fun of him, and if he sues me, i'll end up end some magazines.
FUK THEM RICH MOTHER"UKERS
use them cats,, how you see fit.
its only music

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
That's exactly what I was talking about... so it's called public domain. My guess is people can do whatever they want with those with no hassle....Am I right?

I'm not scared of using samples, but if I wanna expend, I have to know that and what better place then Illmuzik to ask that kinda question.

Kevin A

Differentiated Rebel
ill o.g.
For something to become public domain the copywright owner has to be dead for 75 years if I'm not mistaking.

MadManBeats

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 6
if u make some crazy shit out of a sample, and the person who made the original sample wont be able to figure it out, is that still breakin copyright laws?