I need help w/ sampling!

Elementree

Musical Wizardry
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 8
Hey guys,

I just finally copped a sampler. MPC1000, used but it works and all that. My main question with sampling is chopping. I have adobe audition for chopping. When I have found a song I want to sample and I load it into audition, how do I sample seperate tracks. For Example, when producers use vocal samples how do they use them without getting the bleed of the other instruments and things in the song. Maybe theres a guitar I want to sample but there is a horn and a bass and drums over top of it that I want to get rid of. How do you sample heads do this. I want to sample and I want to do it right so could somebody please help me.

Thank You,

Tree

KENWOP

BROOKLYN'S FINEST
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 27
i think all you could do is filter it but you prob will never competly get rid of the other sounds

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
they sometimes, delicately eq out the frequencies they dont need so that the shit they want to hear stands out more. and the other stuff sometimes drowns in the mix. listen to kanye wests "roses" he uses the vocals, which has pianos and shit all in there, but he takes out the los and mids and a few other things.

Bobby Ffitch

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
ah ha, how easy sampling would be if you could just take specific tracks. now, you see the difficulty!

btw, feeling your beats bro. on some real mature hip hop tip.

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
sometimes u cant get the other sounds out... in that case, keep that piece of the sample in the song and attempt to replay the part u want usin a sound thats close to the original sound. therefore, when u drop the sampled trk out, u got a solo for that sound already replayed on a seperate trk... thats something that i usually do. it can spice up the song.

da relic

Vince

2Cool2BeAHebrew
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Sorry man, there's just no way that you could do that. If you want to get rid of a bassdrum in the track you could use a high-pass filter to get rid of all the low-frequencies, but again then you could loose low frequencies that you might wanna keep, like the bassline or something.

Some disco/70's soul&funk have extended versions of some songs were all but one instrument drop out.

But instruments like horns, guitar plucks and bass can easily be chopped up and used without much interference from other instruments.

Sanova said:
listen to kanye wests "roses" he uses the vocals, which has pianos and shit all in there, but he takes out the los and mids and a few other things.

Kanye would be a poor example, cause it wouldn't suprise me if he got access to master tapes and whatnot, but I haven't heard the specific track or it's sample so I don't know wether you're right or not.

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Vince said:
Kanye would be a poor example, cause it wouldn't suprise me if he got access to master tapes and whatnot, but I haven't heard the specific track or it's sample so I don't know wether you're right or not.

Nah, I have the actual track by bill withers that he sampled. he clearly stuck the vocals on there, cuz the rest of kanye's beat is composed. Not to mention the bill withers track was an unreleased demo, so there wasnt much access to it, let alone master tapes with split tracks

T

The Bastard

yeah a big part of sampling is, looking for them dope solo'ed instruments

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
kanye has alot of his stuff replayed though ... there this white guy i forgot what his name is ... but dude is crazy ... he will take a sample that kanye sped up slow it back and reply the individual parts .. overdub the sining .. and then speed it back up to make it sound like sample ... he did it for "never let me down" off college dropout that is not a sample .. they did an interview with him scratch and i think another magazine too....

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Ash Holmz said:
kanye has alot of his stuff replayed though ... there this white guy i forgot what his name is ... but dude is crazy ... he will take a sample that kanye sped up slow it back and reply the individual parts .. overdub the sining .. and then speed it back up to make it sound like sample ... he did it for "never let me down" off college dropout that is not a sample .. they did an interview with him scratch and i think another magazine too....

yup i read that article too, and yea lazy eyes it was in logic, thats crazy. So i went and downloaded the sample that he replayed and that shit sounds nothin the same, he did a good job replayin it so that he could turn down some of the unneccesary inctruments. cuz that song is strait up rock.

members online